Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

More Doom - The Arcade Game information

I took the time to write out a basic overview of just how Doom - The Arace Game would progress. As I've said before, it has an enhanced storyline, but it still keeps true to the original. Follow this link here to read the overview. After reading it, you'll know that it is a huge project, so as of now I'll be looking for people who want to be involved in the project. You will need to know something about ACS scripting or just scripting in general (ACS isn't that hard to learn) as the project will be heavilly scripted (especially in Inferno and the early stages of Hell on Earth). Email me if you do wish to be involved, and I'd also like to hear comments in this thread on what you think of the enhanced storyline.

Nice. A very admirable effort to bring the whole continuity of Doom into a semblance of order. (Looks like you'll be going really heavy on the scripting. :)

A suggestion for the Icon: Make it the UAC master computer that controls the gate system, and found a way to access the Hell realm with the gates. It would turn out that the zombies were twisted and mind-controlled while using the gates, and the demons were basically wild animals snared by the Icon's experiments in Hell.

I've already looked in to monster origination a bit... for example, the Demon (aka pink things) were genetic experiments by the Army (using UAC facilities), when the invasion took place Hell decided they'd make a good addition to their army. I'm not so sure about that master computer idea though, it sorta takes the whole idea of big powerfull hell away.

I must say that I am really looking forward to seeing this mod finished. The storyline is somewhat reminiscent of Half-Life in some areas (the train mainly), but I still think it sounds very good, and I don't think you should change it all that much. If the rest of the levels play out as well as those in the first beta, then I'm sure this will be the best mod out there. Keep up the good work, and if I can come up with any ideas for the Icon of Sin, I'll let you know.

I'll have to wait to hear a few things about the second beta though, I think I might have broken an area or two in terms of playability (just be glad you testers didn't see the original upgrade I gave the slime room on the other side of the hangar, it was a total pain in the ass to navigate so I took out a few things). I'm glad to hear that the first beta is rather playable, and right now I'm working on more scripts and fleshing out the story some more in the first map (for example, I have a basic script for the conversation with your superior in the second beta, I'm camming it out properly at the moment). I think I'm going to have to register DeepSea so I can do some copy/pasting of the upgraded hangar in to the intro map... which I don't really have the $$$ for at the moment so it'll probably go unchanged until I do have a chance to register it.

I get an illegal operation error message when it gets to the point where the text says "...one of which involves interdimensional space travel..." or something like that.

One thing I think is cool is that you have to "kill" the brown marine in order for it to advance.

Are you aware of the status bar bug in b28? if you have the status bar visible, the game will lock up like that. The simple solution is to maximise your screen (I have it maximised with health and ammo visible - one off full).

in other news, Release 1 is nearing completion. I'm getting to the point where I can't possibly put much more in to the map in the way of detail as I'm running out of inspiration and ideas. A bit more detail in map01 (all the scripts are done now - testers might be pleased to know there is more than one way to overload the reactor now) and another puzzle in MAP90 and I'll be finished. I might release one last beta to see if the testers can find anything else wrong with it, but otherwise I'd expect Rrelease 1 to be finished within the next few days :)

After some thinking I think I may have an idea for the Icon of Sin. Well, it's a start to an idea, I suppose. There are the Seven Fortresses of Hell, as you mentioned. Let's say that each fortress is built upon one of the seven greater kings of Hell. These seven demons represent the most evil forces of Hell, under the baphomet and the "great evil" that is, and they lie dormant under their respective fortresses - something they have been doing for thousands of years (for what reason I leave up to you). The military test with gateways have disrupted the 6th demon king, awakening it. This 6th demon has a hole punctured in it's skull and the added oxygen to it's brain has caused it to not only be commonly disoriented (and therefore stationary), but also enhances it's natural ability to teleport (spawn) lesser demons. Though a king, it is still fully loyal, almost to the point of being mindlessly loyal, to the "great evil" and has been set about the task of transporting demons on the Earth, and creating gateways for the demons to use.

This is just a place to start, really. If you want me to flesh it out more, then let me know.

Hmmmz, that could work... the spider could be the 6th king of hell (to go with the 6th fortress of hell at the foot of Mt Erebus)... but I'm not quite sure how considering the demons consider it a god... I doubt one of the kings would lower in submission to another king...

Well, lets say that the Spider Demon is one of the higher demons and not a king. If you have the highest demons (the kings, the baphomet, and the "great evil") in a sort of sleep, then it would make the 6th king seem like a deity of sorts. Um... think if it like the Jesus to God relationship from Christianity. Anyway, I hope this helps.

I was thinkin about it quite a bit last night and I came up with an idea that there are 7 spiders, they were once trusted servants of their God but he decided to bestow "eternal life" on them by encasing them in a cybernetic spider body, renamed them his personal Minions of Hell, and gave them each a fortress to rule over. More info in the project overview, both available on the site and in Release 1 (yes, it's finally released, check the other thread)