Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Best City Levels

I love city maps. I know Doom can't really do city maps much justice when compared to just about any other game past the 1995 era, but there's just something about them that gives them a charm. Especially when they are really well done with lots of creativity.

If I had to name a few, I'd have to say that Ksutra has some kick ass City levels in it. Even the recently released Europe.wad has some nice city parts in it as well. AV of course has some alright city wads, namely the beginning part of map03.

I once played a map (not sure if its a megawad or what) but it had some very cool city maps in it, complete with tall buildings and the works. Anyway, post your favorite city themed maps.

These ones spring immediately to mind, in addition to those you mention:
newcity
doomcity
eternal map26 (No Parking)
squadron map10 (Altier 6)
aboo5th (doomstone)
hr map14 (City in the Clouds)
rw map20 (Silent City)
hacx map12 (Gothik Gaunt)
... and several of Ultimate DooMer's maps, a few in Vile Flesh and some in Herian2 as well (map30 was one, IIRC).

There was one, I think it may have been in the Cygnus DOOM2 mod, that just blew me away. I'd have to play through them again to be sure.

I recently played Metro13 on recommendation, and it's a very good old-school city map. Some other good city maps not mentioned yet:

MM map 18 (A Dead Man's Town)
MM map 28 (City Of the Unavenged)
Zombies map 8 (The City)

i was making an UrbanCTF at one point.. What happened to it? Like most projects it just went meh. However, there is one completed level, which isnt really a city, more just a Tron level and i'm working on something which I may release separatly which will be future city-like

City of the Damned, bros. It feels like a Blood level at times, but it's certainly not a blatant rip-off (despite featuring a lot of Blood textures). There's some interesting attempts at real locations instead of the buildings just being random blocks with doors and some decor. Some of the buildings, of course, have a nice Doom feel to them. The level is pretty damn big, took me several hours to beat (well, I didn't get past the end, which is killer, but I beat 99% of it), and has a lot of really interesting and memorable architecture. It's also a definite challenge, especially in the room where you fight three arhcviles. Sorry to ramble, but it's a great level and makes good use of Zdoom features.

Grazza said:

These ones spring immediately to mind, in addition to those you mention:
newcity
doomcity
eternal map26 (No Parking)
squadron map10 (Altier 6)
aboo5th (doomstone)
hr map14 (City in the Clouds)
rw map20 (Silent City)
hacx map12 (Gothik Gaunt)
... and several of Ultimate DooMer's maps, a few in Vile Flesh and some in Herian2 as well (map30 was one, IIRC).

Out of those maps, the only one I've played was City in the Clouds. HOLY CRAP THAT WAS BRUTAL. >_>; I guess it's because I'm pretty horrible at the game...most people here would probably find that map easy. It took everything I could give to beat it on Hurt Me Plenty.

-_DLD_- said:

Out of those maps, the only one I've played was City in the Clouds. HOLY CRAP THAT WAS BRUTAL. >_>; I guess it's because I'm pretty horrible at the game...most people here would probably find that map easy. It took everything I could give to beat it on Hurt Me Plenty.

Hell Revealed was designed to be brutal on UV - it's intended for highly skilled players who have familiarized themself with the map - or are willing to use quite a few saves. HMP is intended to be pretty difficult too. For fun/casual playing, the lower skill levels (including 1 and 2) are recommended - and the authors put some effort into making them fun. They designed skill 1 in particular with "running" (quickly blasting your way through without much regard for safety) in mind.

All the other maps I listed have a more standard difficulty settings on skills 3 and 4, so don't be afraid to play them on those. Some of them are quite complex (in particular Eternal map26), but lowering the difficulty won't help in that respect!

Hmmm...maybe I should learn how to record demos or something, so I can show how I play, and experts can tell me how bad I am. I basically play cautious, like I like to strafe back and forth around corners to get a brief glimpse at the room without getting blown to pieces by the enemies therein. Unless I'm being a total ass, I never randomly run through everything and kill anything that's preventing me from running onward. No matter how hard I try, at around Map14-15 on HMP, HR just gets too **********ly hard. City in the Clouds was almost impossible at first, because there were powerful enemies everywhere and nowhere to hide so I could start picking away at them. A good example of this was when I ran into the building on the right, killed the Imps inside, then found some ammo. I was like "oh good, I'll need this!" Then the trap triggers and Arch-Viles turn me into goo. I had to try again to finish that part off, then I just made my way through the level...with lots of running away from the Cyber Demons that liked to teleport behind me.

As for general difficulties...I play everything on HMP unless it proves neigh impossible, then I go on to Skill 2...I never play on Skill 1.

The best way to become a better player is to play the game for hours and hours and ... well, you get the idea.

The second best way is to watch demos of how skilled players play the game, and then trying to mimic that style (learn routes, learn what weapons are best in what situations, etc).

Yeah...I tend to keep using the Super Shotgun until it runs out of bullets or I'm faced with a horde of really tough monsters.

How do you run those .lmp files in Doomsday Kickstart? Or is there something else I should use? What's the best source for GOOD demos? Is it the downloads page, or am I way off?

Please read this post and see the links at the bottom of it. Note that Doomsday will not play back demos that were recorded with anything other than Doomsday.

In general, HR on the higher skill levels demands a different approach from typical wads. You can't normally rely on the strategy of clearing out one area and then moving onto the next. You need to play more "heroically", and need to stay on the move, as there are few static "islands of safety". Monster infighting is one of your main weapons (cybers are often strategically placed for this purpose). If you find yourself faced with a horde of monsters and inadequately armed, it's quite likely that you should run past them in search of weapons, ammo and power-ups.

Finally, I'd suggest not trying to jump directly from the original iwads to ultra-hard wads (if this is what you're attempting). Try something more moderate first, like Final Doom (if you have it), or the Memento Moris, Requiem, etc.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm not getting on you guys' nerves with my lack of general DooM knowledge.

Thanks. I've been a very regular forum-goer for over 2 years solid, so I should hopefully know what doing...somewhat.