Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Music that sounds like it belongs in Doom

I'm not talking about the "covers" of various metal songs present in the original Doom games (like Metalica's "No Remorse"), but rather songs--metal or not--that you think would have been awesome if Bobby Prince had covered. Personally, I think Hellhammer's Buried and Forgotten fits really well, it's a doomish (as in doom metal), slower song and is really good for slow paced levels. Also, even though they were a rather obscure and unpolished band, Violent Force's "What About the Time After Time" has over a dozen awesome, thrashing riffs that fit perfectly for a nice frenzied battle. Additionally, doom metal band Pentagram's "Death Row" has a slower, mellow feel that seems to musically describe the game incredibly well. Seems like a lot of doom metal would be good if it had been covered by Prince.

Iniquity - Revel In Cremation
Demilich - Inherited Bowel Levitation - Reduced Without Any Effort
Bathory - For All Those Who Died
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Gorerotted - Fuck Your Arse With Broken Glass (For a boss level or something)

Of course, just certain riffs of each of those, I can't think of any songs that would transfer directly over to doom. But coincidentally I think Doom Metal would be the best genre to fit in with doom - but I haven't really listened to much of that.

Also, try pressing the return key once and a while, that block of text was really hard to read.

I think some of Aphex Twin's stuff would go well with Doom. There's a Kraftwerk song on Man Machine (Space Lab, I think) that would fit the bill as well.

destx said:

But coincidentally I think Doom Metal would be the best genre to fit in with doom

Please tell me you're kidding. Bobby Prince himself said that "metal" would be terrible for Doom.

Why is it that when people think of the game, they think it's synonymous with death metal?

Uh-oh, you just associated death metal with doom metal. Raving fans of metal subgenres are adamant about them not being classified as each other. This could get ugly.

Heh. Doom metal provides pretty much what heavy and death metal are lacking if you want a moodier (or gloomier) ambientation for the music. Plus doom metal was hardly known back when the id guys made the game, so they probably didn't know much about it then.

And Bobby Prince never said metal was terrible for the game; he just added that without moodier tracks it would be missing something. For intense maps metal's just fine, but for darker maps that rely on suspense in certain sections you need corresponding music.

Texas Libra said:

Bobby Prince himself said that "metal" would be terrible for doom.

This is OBVIOUSLY why more than half the Doom soundtrack was a bunch of Thrash Metal covers. You fucking moron.

And as the lovely Bloodshedder pointed out, Doom Metal is not Death Metal. They are in many cases the opposite ends of the metal spectrum.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see myk's post there.

Doom metal works because a lot of Doom 2's songs are rock-oriented but have a slower, moodier feel to them than Doom 1's. So that style of music, being that it's slow and moody, would fit well, in my opinion.

Anyway, seeing as how not all of us are metalheads here, perhaps there's some non-metal music you think would sound good if it had been in Doom?

GoatLord said:

Anyway, seeing as how not all of us are metalheads here, perhaps there's some non-metal music you think would sound good if it had been in Doom?

No fuck off.

Venom - Black Metal
Dark Funeral - Hail Murder
Bloodbath - Mass Strangulation

Whenever I hear metal midis in some pwads I play I reckon they work the best with doom, especially Carcass - Heartwork and Blackstar, which were in (I think it was?) Vex Doom.

I can imagine Metallica's "Call of Cthulu" as an alternate track playing on Map28 of Doom 2. Very dark/spooky level, so it fits.

Ride Of The Valkyries could sound freaking awesome in the right level. That's just me and my drunken ramblings, though.

The ambient Quake-like music included in DOOM:CPE and Final DOOM PSX is the only music I can stand to listen to while playing DOOM. Anything else is just distracting.

Of course, I prefer playing DOOM on my PS1 anyway...

youspeakmylanguage said:

The ambient Quake-like music included in DOOM:CPE and Final DOOM PSX is the only music I can stand to listen to while playing DOOM. Anything else is just distracting.

Of course, I prefer playing DOOM on my PS1 anyway...

the music from the psx version is great, especially the opening theme.

others: the music from rise of the triad that was used in hell revealed, particularly map 5 and 6 iirc, there are some dark, sad themes.

The PS1 had excellent music, and you're right, the opening theme fucking rocks. I wonder if the guy who did the music has done anything else? His stuff is brilliant as far as dark ambience goes.

This will sound incredibly dorky, but I've always thought that Megadeth's Rust In Peace could be played in the backdrop of any tech map while Slayer's Reign in Blood could be played to hellish levels. And as it turns out, some of them were.

"Iniquity - Revel In Cremation
Demilich - Inherited Bowel Levitation - Reduced Without Any Effort
Bathory - For All Those Who Died
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Gorerotted - Fuck Your Arse With Broken Glass
Hellhammer - Buried And Forgotten"

I'm trying to find these songs, but i'm not having an easy time, and it sucks because it'd be interesting to hear other people's interpretations of music that would be fitting for doom, and by hear, i mean actually hearing instead of just seeing their suggestions...in anycase, any idea where i might be able to find this stuff? I don't imagine this is mainstream stuff, so i'd think the cd's would be relatively hard to find too.

I can make music for doom..... I know of some artists that has some good ambience (like the PSX Doom and music from the 64) artists that would go well with Doom.

1. Brian Eno
2. Apphex Twin
3. Boards of Canada
4. Locus Toybox (David Firths music from Fat-pie.com)
5. Datach'i
6. Scanners

All ambient artists except for Locus Toybox since they focus on both Ambience and other types of music.

Personally I think all of the more atmospheric, ambient tracks in Doom work better for the game than the Metal music. In fact, I could have done without the metal music entirely. Some of the metal tracks in Doom are just horrible (E3M3, for example).

AgentSpork said:

Personally I think all of the more atmospheric, ambient tracks in Doom work better for the game than the Metal music. In fact, I could have done without the metal music entirely. Some of the metal tracks in Doom are just horrible (E3M3, for example).

Dude...E3M3 is a cover of Slayer's Behind the Crooked Cross, which is a badass song! But yeah, I can see why one would prefer ambience over metal in Doom. Doom 64, for instance, couldn't have had better music; the ambience featured compliments the game perfectly. Same for PSX Doom.