Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Spend More Money!

Well, with Newstuff currently out of service, I felt I still needed to get my latest Magnum Opus (ha...ha ha...) some attention. So here it is:

COLD HARD CASH
A New, Original Gameplay Mod For EDGE 1.29 RC3

Cold Hard Cash may appear to just be another weapon patch, and that may already be putting some of you purists off of downloading it - but please at least take a look at what this mod's all about.

See, Cold Hard Cash removes the restrictions put into place by the mapper - up until now, you essentially followed the mapper's will in which weapons you picked up at which moments.

CHC changes this by replacing all of the weapon pickups with dispenser terminals, where you can purchase your preferred weapon at any given moment - provided, of course, you have enough money.

How do you get money, though? It's not like there are any part-time jobs left on Phobos. Or Hell for that matter.

Well, that's easy - mug the various hellspawn for their lunch money. Kill a zombie, get a dollar. Beat up a Cacodemon, get fifty.

Add to this some pretty original weapon ideas (from silenced pistols and sub-machine guns, to disposable LAWs and Popleon Cannons, to the Mjolnir Crowbar, the Shiva Nitrogen Pistol, and the Spectrum Cannon), reloading, special effects, pretty much all the stuff that made ICD-SE so cool. And then some.

Enough of my rambling - I'm sure you want to check out the mod now.

http://armory.drdteam.org/wwmods/wwcash.zip

Keep in mind - you don't start with any projectile weapons, so this may be a little harder than usual to start with. If you have doubts in your Tyson skills, tone down the difficulty a notch.

Oh! Congratulations! Very interesting and originally mod, and good work with sprites, gameplay and scripting!

Great Idea! I was wondering when someone would get around to implementing a concept like this in EDGE.

Lobo said:

Great Idea! I was wondering when someone would get around to implementing a concept like this in EDGE.

It was very, very difficult to iron out the bugs in this...RTS is so much different from every other language I've dealt with (ZZT-OOP and MZX robotic come to mind...). Unfortunately...some bugs still remain and are unfixable due to the way RTS is structured.

Oh man, I want to play this...too bad I'm not in possession of my computer...oh well, as soon as I get my new computer I'll check this out.

WildWeasel said:

So that's all the feedback I get? I was hoping this would have a bigger impact...

You should be glad that you got any feedback at all. I would.

WildWeasel said:

So that's all the feedback I get? I was hoping this would have a bigger impact...

I'm sorry man, but my souped up system is not finished yet, so I really can't do anything yet. Don't worry, as soon as I get my hands on this I'll give you some feedback.

I noticed that certain weapons wouldn't fire, even after you reload the new ones, they still wouldnt fire

I got that 1.29 RC3, the one that Lobo posted, I tried it with 1.28a, but it said that it needed to be 1.29 to operate the DDF

Did you make sure your fire buttons are set up properly? Otherwise...you might want to file a bug report at the EDGE website.

Primary Fire is Mouse1, and Alternate Fire is the Right mouse button, but it calls it mouse3, but on certain guns, neither of them fire

AWESOME AWESOME MOD!
BUT! I have 137 bullets but my pistol is showing empty (ie...cant use it) (boy its tough...)
And also...you changed the cell count to cash count?
Should have made that change on the stats bar =P
But cool.

No actually =/ I only got Edge to play this (first time).
It will only run on 1.29 for me.
Ok. Just set the controls for reload =P
(I feel stupid)

Alastair said:

Should have made that change on the stats bar =P

It's a limitation of EDGE scripting.

Ubik said:

Thank you for choosing Valu-Rep!

Believe me, I did consider throwing that sound in. I thought it'd get annoying after a while though (especially buying ammo) so I just stuck with the Doom 3 terminal sounds.

WildWeasel said:

Believe me, I did consider throwing that sound in. I thought it'd get annoying after a while though (especially buying ammo) so I just stuck with the Doom 3 terminal sounds.

I would have gone with "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!" for when you buy a weapon, myself. :P

Man this sounds good Weasel...if only my dad would get my "stremf" memory since my current "girly man" memory does not fit into the new system.

Pretty good mod, there are a plenty of well thought weapons (I especially love the breakpoint shotgun) but there are a few issues. Some levels which have been designed to not have many or any weapons and ammo around will be either very hard or impossible (well, depending on difficulty) because you can't get any more guns and ammo. Also, some of the guns are horribly balanced: Incinerate shotgun? About 13 hits to bring down a cyberdemon and 2 for an archvile? No thanks.

And the ammo ammounts are really off as well. The pistol bullet are about the half of a rifle bullet's effectiveness (yeah yeah, it depends on the gun really), but instead you can have 1.5 times more RIFLE bullets than you can have the pistol ammo. I'd really like to use that cool looking SMG more, but why bother when the assault rifle takes half as much ammo for the same ammount of punishment and can hold max. 625 ammo instead of 450 on the SMG (numbers with full clips and full ammo in backpack)?

The shotgun/streetsweeper issue is very similar as well. Powerwise they are pretty even, but the other one can have 16 shots instead of 5, costs only a little more AND can be upgraded into a full automatic version. Only thing the poor shotgun has in advantage is the POSSIBILITY to get a light on it, and even then you'd need to find a "plasma gun" from somewhere.

I'll probably end up creating my own personal "more balanced" version of this mod, like I did for the Counter Strike-weaponmod. :(