Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Quake series

This has always bugged me. Why is Quake 2's storyline so drastically different from the original Quake's? In Quake 1, you're fighting against "Shub-Niggurath" and all his interdimensional minions. But in Quake 2, you're suddenly going against the Strogg, a totally different enemy. None of the monsters are the same. They also got rid of a lot of famous Quake guns, like the Nail Gun and the Thunderbolt.

Why didn't they just start a new series?

Aseph said:

I always wondered that myself, but I think it has to do a lot with marketing and the power of a proven franchise. Since Quake was a proven seller, it was probably best to name the next game id produced Quake 2, since that probably would generate more sales than calling it Assault on Stroggos or something else.

In a nutshell: If they had simply called the game by another name, it might not have been as popular or sold as well. Also, see Ralphis' post above.

Snarboo said:

In a nutshell: If they had simply called the game by another name, it might not have been as popular or sold as well. Also, see Ralphis' post above.

Kind of like how doom really didn't sell as well as it could have had it been named wolfenstein 2?

Quake 2 was a solid game made by a competent and well known company at that point and I don't see why it wouldn't have sold under a different name.

Aseph said:

This has always bugged me. Why is Half-life 2's storyline so drastically different from the original Half-Life? In Half-Life, you're fighting against "Giant Floating Fat Baby" and all his interdimensional Xen minions. But in Half-Life 2, you're suddenly going against the Combine, a totally different enemy. None of the monsters are the same. They also got rid of a lot of famous Half-Life guns, like the Snarks and Guass gun

Quake 1 was made while John Romero was still with id, originally the build they had was meant to be Doom 3, but they decided to make a new series instead. Then Romero left, and they decided not to continue his story. So, they worked on a totally new game, that became the next "Doom 3" project, but all the names suggested were taken, and they decided that Doom 3 wouldn't be appropriate, so they went on a wierd jump and called it Quake II, then came the abomination we like to call Quake 3, and coming now is where id dropped off before they got high and took a wierd trip with sequals.

I really wish doom 3 was released back then because doom 3 is quite aways ahead on the timeline from doom 2 and final doom. But, it wouldn't have been today's doom 3, which introduced quite the engine. All your graphics are belong to us.

I personally would like to see a "retelling" of quake 1, with the doom 3 engine. Or maybe with a new engine dubbed "Quake 2000" engine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has always bugged me. Why is Half-life 2's storyline so drastically different from the original Half-Life? In Half-Life, you're fighting against "Giant Floating Fat Baby" and all his interdimensional Xen minions. But in Half-Life 2, you're suddenly going against the Combine, a totally different enemy. None of the monsters are the same. They also got rid of a lot of famous Half-Life guns, like the Snarks and Guass gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, in Quake 2 they changed all the enemies. ALL of them. In Half-Life 2, they had all the old familiar ones like the headcrab and the barnacle. They just added new enemies. Also, a lot of the same characters from Half Life 1 are in HL2.

In Quake 2, it's almost as if Quake 1 never happened. They never say a word about it.

Aseph said:

No, in Quake 2 they changed all the enemies. ALL of them. In Half-Life 2, they had all the old familiar ones like the headcrab and the barnacle. They just added new enemies. Also, a lot of the same characters from Half Life 1 are in HL2.

In Quake 2, it's almost as if Quake 1 never happened. They never say a word about it.

That's because you're not supposed to talk about fight club...

The quake series is basically a technological franchise; it's the "quake engine" series. It's a John Carmack thing. He doesn't care much about the "game story" anyway.

DOOM and DOOM II were a different story; the latter is simply the continuation of the former, the conclusion of the same game. There is only one engine, not a series of related engines, and a continuous story.

There are some Quake designs that also appear in Quake II, and Quake III incorporates the earlier games thematically, but it's all a vague thing meant to express the (technical and commercial) relation between the games.

baronofhell said:

I personally would like to see a "retelling" of quake 1, with the doom 3 engine. Or maybe with a new engine dubbed "Quake 2000" engine.

You do realise it's almost 2006 now, don't you?

I really think the "let's shove 2000 on the end of something and make it sound futuristic" naming convention was really only around pre-21st century so naming something that way now would seem like a backwards step.

also there's already a quake engine called Quake 2000

it was one of the first to add new stuff really, though only fog and animation interpolation. i'm still a buddy with it's coder

money is the obvious underlying answer, but I don't think id looked at it that way.
from a design perspective, Quake2 is the quake engine just with parts re-engineered. In short, it IS the same game. the word 'quake' doesn't apply to anything in either game... it is the game engine.
Quake4 is certainly the quest for more money.

I have a feeling it's going to look and feel too much like playing doom3, and that may be saying something about it's so-called "q3a" style multiplayer. todd has said "if you can run doom3 you can run quake4" but a lot of people (even with better equiptment) dont exactly get "optimal fps" and have to play it under certain conditions (other hax/decompressed paks ect.) ill believe this game when i see it i guess. but thats not exactly bashing the single player aspect of it yet, that may actualy turn out pretty good. (and the fact that it was done by Raven)

Opulent said:

Quake4 is certainly the quest for more money.

1) Raven made Quake 4, not id

2) Quake 4 is the first (and only) game in the series that's an actual sequel, in case you've forgotten.

I can't wait for later this month, baby! Which version is everyone getting? I'm having a hard time deciding between the regular release or the special edition with Quake 2 and its mission packs since it would be nice getting everything in one package, but I can still find the stand-alone versions of all the previous games easily...

Boy oh boy October is shaping up to be a kickass month, what with q4 and the doom movie coming out... not to mention my birthday.
*ahem* on topic.

I totally agree with myk here; the connections between the quakes is the engine itself. I doubt money has anything to do with it; carmack loves to code his engines, and if a good game can come out of it, so much the better.
Granted, since wolfenstein came out, it has pretty much been the same game with progressively better engines.
But the thing is, is that this game that we play over and over again is KICKASS, and I for one will never stop playing it.

I'll just be getting the regular edition of quake4, since I already have quake 2 and all the mission packs. I'll also be getting ROE for the xbox this week, and quake4 for the 360 when that comes out.

Personally, I believe that QuakeII was the PERFECT DOOM 3. Only the monsters were different and out of place. While all the other elements contained within that game were a perfect match, just a 100% perfect match.

But no, they had to somehow fit that particular game into some other series which was all messed up, and didn't have any line of continuity in it's story line, and theoretically wasn't even a series at all but just a set of randomly hand-picked games all with the same logo plastered on their jewel cases / CDs.
Pathetic.
Retardism.

i'm getting the regular edition because i already own quake2 and it's two mission packs

same for q3 with it's ta and q1 with both mission packs, and i even have zaero and juggernaut, so i've pretty much have quake everything

DarkJedi188 said:

Personally, I believe that QuakeII was the PERFECT DOOM 3.
But no, they had to somehow fit that particular game into some other series which was all messed up, and didn't have any line of continuity in it's story line, and theoretically wasn't even a series at all but just a set of randomly hand-picked games all with the same logo plastered on their jewel cases / CDs.
Pathetic.
Retardism.

So, if quake 2 had been called doom 3 you wouldn't give a shit?

You people are bitching about of all things, a naming convention and how some company has applied it to a few of their games. Why? If you dumbasses are oh so flustered over story continuity being rigorously applied to a video game series you should really be aiming your guns at the final fantasy games.

Unless I'm the only person who never gave a rats ass about anything resembling a "story" being involved with the doom and quake games.

DarkJedi188 said:

Personally, I believe that QuakeII was the PERFECT DOOM 3.

My same thoughts. I enjoyed Quake 2 more than I did Doom 3. I've probably played through Quake 2 about 6 times and beaten it, havent gotten tired of it yet. Doom 3 just got boring after the third level.

Oh, off-topic, but I didn't feel it necessary to start a new thread since there's not much information out now, but id software is starting a new wolfenstein franchise for the 360. It's not a sequel of any sort, as mentioned above it's going to be new. As of now, it's tentatively titled "Castle Wolfenstein". Found this out over at gamespy.com. Yet another reason for me to look forward to the 360!! Also be sure to check out the official doom movie website, it's been updated. Before you leave, download the screensaver, it has new footage from the movie involving the creatures!!

Knowing id, I highly doubt that John will stand for it being released exclusively for the xbox for any amount of time.

A new wolfenstein? Oooh this could be good... yet...
It is high time for a new franchise altogether.
Give me Prey >D

Yeah, what made the Wolfenstein series become somewhat boring recently is the fact that every single title/release was confined to the WorldWarII setting only.
If there was one release about WorldWarI, followed by another release about WorldWarII, followed by yet another release about the Cold War or something, it would've stayed fun all of the time.

I mean, how many times can a guy named BJ be infiltrating Germany during the spring of 1942? Why not infiltrate some other country during some other time and year? What about the other Axis countries: Japan and Italy?
It's basically the same plot being slightly readjusted over and over.

Don't take it the wrong way, I love the actual gameplay of the series, Spear of Destiny still is and shall always remain one of my all-time favourites, right alongside DOOM2, but the fact that the setting and the timeframe never really seem to change much...well, that gets me bored...but then I come back...it's like a weird loop cycle kinda thing.

^Well, Wolfenstein doesn't exactly sound like the name of a castle that would be in Japan or It-uh-lee, at least not to me...:/

However, I wouldn't mind a Wolf game that takes place in the present day, against a Neo-Nazi stronghold...

Imagine iD releasing a Wolf game sometime around 2050. It would be: WOLFENSTEIN 5-D!

I'd always taken it in the same manner as TV shows like "The Twilight Zone". None of the twilight zone episodes had anything to do with each other. But they aired under a familiar name and gave the viewer a some sense of what kind of theme they were about to experience. A video game version of this would be the Final Fantasy series where almost all of the games are unrelated but they al have similar elements.

Quake is a stretch in this scenario though since it practically carries nothing over from its predecessor. But hey, what's in a name?