Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[KDiZD] Community Information Thread

Many days, weeks and even months have passed since we - the KDiZD team - delivered latest information concerning the project we are working on for over an year now! It all began with a simple idea and turned into a huge project, one of the most anticipated projects for some of the ZDoomers around here.
Although it got very quite after the leakage and the terrible debates over at Doomworld and also here on ZDoom.org, the team still continued on the project, on the resources, maps, and many other surprises you will encounter in the final product. Though, it's still not finished and some more work is left to do. But we thought it was time to tell you guys that we are still alive!

First at all - due all of the comments and opinions we got from many many doomers out there - lots of stuff changed and we started over again on the maps to make them look different, not as overloaded as they have been concerning "copy&paste" detail and not as cramped as they have been. Many special things have been added to enhance atmosphere and graphics and surely gameplay... but, just take a look at this yourself!

Many new features have been added to our list, some of them can be seen on the screenshots, others are still a secret. So I will just tell you a few of them
- 9 totally revamped and heavy detailed re-interpretations of the original E1 maps
- 1 super secret map, patchwork of Episode 2, Episode 3 and Episode 4 maps
- over 300 new textures (many totally new!)
- new monsters (both totally new with original sprites and some from the monster pack)
- 2 new weapons (grenade launcher & rifle)
- 3D angles for items and other objects
- heavy use of latest ZDoom features (incl. cam-textures, DECORATE, portals, ...)
- complete new soundtrack (remixes from E1 tracks)
- beautiful light effects (glows and shining rays)
- massive use of ambient sounds (to emphasize the creepy atmosphere)
- a 3D Intermission map of Phobos with many statistics and beautiful visuals
- a titlemap and creditsmap
- many easter eggs for you to discover
- and much more...

Concerning that, we are very close to the final beta tests. Almost every map is detailwise finished and the gameplay adjustmenet phase has been started for some of them, also concerning coop compatibility. Left to do are minor tweaks concerning the resources and some of the features, some mapping and for sure a lot of sprite work (which will take the most of the left needed time). But overall, KDiZD is about 90% finished and it won't take over 2 months to get it done I think *g*

Well, this thread is a place where we are going to give you some information on the final developement phase and a place for you to give us some constructive and useful feedback on what we deliver. I hope that this doesn't turn into a flaming and bashing place again as many other KDiZD-Threads became one.
Feel free to ask if you have questons, feel free to give us feedback and feel free to help us in a certain way to finish the final product. But please be kind and don't forget: We are not just doing this for ourselves, it's also something we create for you, the community, by investing a great part of our free time!

Greetings,
Daniel "Tormentor667" Gimmer
--------
Something beyond: This thread is for the few persons who are interested in this project here at Doomworld. I just want to add that I hope there will be no flaming and no questions about myself, about other KDiZD members and about the past, it's just a simple KDiZD information thread and please use it that way! Thx!

And we thought you hated us! ;)

Glad to see the project almost finished.
..is there going to be a non light glow version so we dont have to have so many extra things being rendered? also there's real dynamic lighting in GZdoom. A bit late to port to GZdoom but just wondering.

Well, I'm happy that progress is still being made (from what I can tell anyway - I can't see the screenshots for some reason).

Keep up the good work, guys. I still look forward to this.

@Blackfish - Not all of you, but I hate some of you. Nonetheless: Concerning GZDoom, we are not going to change the ports. ZDoom is a good base and KDiZD will be GZDoom compatible ;)

@Wildweasel - That's very bad because they work fine for me :(

@ravage/kwaddamyj - And... what does that mean?

----------

This time some "GZDoom 0.9.7" screenshots to show you guys how beautiful KDiZD can look :)

Tormentor667 said:

@ravage/kwaddamyj - And... what does that mean?

That means they love your project.

Also <3

I'm even more excited about the project now. At first I thought it'd just be some levels; but looking at the "PDA" and the actual "built" intermission screen, I have to say I'm really impressed.

Okay, I can see the screens now (weird bug...) and I'm impressed. Does this mean a release soon, or are you just invoking the hype card again?

Most of it is done. It all depends on the stuff that isn't finished yet. Maybe next month, maybe next year. ;) Who knows? It gets released when it's done (TM).

@Dittohead - Yeah, Coop-Support for up to 8 players ;)

@Relica - Well, that was our plan! It should be more than just overdetailed original maps!

Wow, that looks Very nice! Very Good Job! I am glad that you have made the levels looser... (I dont know if thats the exact term to use but Oh well) I love how it looks! Now Just one question...
Hope im not asking anything that might strike a chord, but What about the mechanics of the maps? The flow, Are they still how most DooM maps are? Or are there going to be any brain puzzles?

It dosent make any difference, the Project will be <3 but, I just want to know because I am curious. Also, when you do Release the project, will you be releasing its resources for seperate use?

I enjoy all your works Tormentor667, so you, and the rest of the KiZiD team, just well done!

me drools....

never been a huge fan of opengl doom ports, but that looks sweet in gzdoom. can't wait for it's release

To answer some more questions...

Release Date
There is still some more work to do so I am not sure about an release date. It could be somewhere around December but maybe somewhere next year. It totally depends on how fast we get the remaining 10% of the project finished!

A new Hype
Someone asked before if this thread is supposed to be the next step of hyping KDiZD.. well, no. It is - as I said - just supposed to be a information base for all you guys who are interested in the project. No hype, no forcing, just read-only ;)

@Macro - Well, you will find a few new puzzle items in for example E1M1 or E1M7 like batteries or seismic bombs, in other maps like E1M6 you will find switch-puzzles and things like that. Nothing "really complicated" but it will change a few things while playing ;) Beyond, instead of 3 keys, we have 6 now, 6 keycards!

The new satyr looks interesting. The head reminds me of the goatlords from Diablo.

ravage said:

The new satyr looks interesting. The head reminds me of the goatlords from Diablo.

While Vader was creating them, he had the same thing in mind :)

I'm very pleased to see that KDiZD has not gone under. It would have been a shame for all of that beautiful work to go to waste. I eagerly await it's release!

Nice screenshots! =) I think ligthing is important and I see that you are putting a great care in it! :) Good work: detail-wise, I think the levels will be simply awesome! :) I hope gameplay and difficulty will be as good as graphics! :) I can't wait for it! ;)
Will my PIII 450MHz support it!? :P (I hope so!)

Very impresive. I'm very looking forward. Probably this is "the next big thing" in DOOM mods.

ravage said:

I like the legs on the satyr. I'm making a baroness of hell sprite and thats how I want the legs to look.

BTW, is that a zombie imp? looks nice. I'm not crazy about the ssg though.

Nightmare Doom said:

Well here's the New Super Shotgun screen

Wow, no offense intended but... that looks absolutely dreadful.

The ssg looks kinda dull, and I see a texture misalignment in the picture too! OH GOD THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END.

Wow, that SSG looks awful. Not only does it not fit in AT ALL with the other weapons, but it's just plain ugly. Why not just use Doom 2's SSG graphics? Those actually, you know.. look good.

That skeletal imp (or whatever it's called) looks highly impressive, however.