Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindless Rambler

Pseudo 3D Floors in JDoom

Ive been trying to make the fake 3D floors like in Scythe and Scythe 2 for my wad, I've taken apart the scythe wads to see how those floors work and replicated them, but they dont work.In Doom builder I set the linedef options to raise to 8 below cieling and lower to lowest floor like in scythe, but it doesnt work. Are there some magic words you have to chant to make these pseudo 3D floors?

The majority of the fake 3D stuff doesn't work in jDoom. It doesn't work in Legacy GL mode, Edge, GLBoom or zDoomGL either.

If you want a OpenGL port where you can do that kind of stuff, you'll have to use Risen3D or GZDoom.

Also any software render based source ports can do them.

Nuxius said:

If you want a OpenGL port where you can do that kind of stuff, you'll have to use Risen3D or GZDoom.

You forgot EDGE, one of the first ports to have them (When it was DosDoom)

TheDarkArchon said:

You forgot EDGE, one of the first ports to have them (When it was DosDoom)

For real 3D floors, true.
For the fake stuff, EDGE 1.29 can handle many of the tricks quite well.

I know JDoom can do the fake 3D floors cause thats the only thing I can play Scythe 1 & 2 with. Can I use Doom Builder to make these, or do I need to switch (which I don't like to do with editing programs)?

a) no, you don't need to switch. Stick with DoomBuilder.

b) I need a Scythe/Scythe 2 map# and a spot in that map of what you're wanting to do here. Because what you're thinking of and what I'm thinking of when it comes to "fake 3D floors" must be something different.

c) what version of Doomsday are you using? 1.9.0 beta?

Yes Doomsday isn't the greatest when it comes to handling the various Doom.exe rendering hacks.

Now that I've joined the dev team I plan to fix most of the commonly used ones (I don't plan to go nuts though - ala Risen3D in this regard). Certainly some of the stuff seen latter on in Scythe1, Icarus and Darkening will be fixed in 1.9.1

Scythe map 18 and scythe 2 map 1, the floors that look like a bunch of wooden (steel in S2) beams stuck together and you can cross over it.

and I'm using 1.8.6 currently although I'll switch to 1.9.0 beta if I can find a place to download it at.

Nick Perrin said:

If you're using jDoom and want your mod/map to be for jdoom, why not just make REAL 3d floors?

probably because jDoom doesn't have 3D floors.

superloud4 said:

probably because jDoom doesn't have 3D floors.

Then what has sitters been making in his past bunch of maps? jDoom can use more 3d stuff than just about any port, except maybe vavoom.

Nick Perrin said:

Then what has sitters been making in his past bunch of maps? jDoom can use more 3d stuff than just about any port, except maybe vavoom.

Most of sitters' maps are for Doomsday, yeah, but the only "real" 3D in them is 3D models. "Genetic Disaster", with 3D floors and slopes and all that nice stuff, is for Risen3D.

why don't you create the bridges in zdoom (9990 the bride thing) and then load the map in jdoom. Works for me. Those bridges are just a combination of steel lindefs, a sector that is not raised and a one bridge thing( one bridge thing per sector) Put the texture you want and lower the linedefs to make it look like a bridge. I learned to do the via the zdoom editing tutorials site becuase I made a similar post to this one:). Anyways,take a look at those tutorials and you will learn a lot about zdoom.

*reads above post*
huh? i'm lost, i understand the steel linedefs arranged to look like a bridge and the two sector things but whats the 9990 bridge thing?

Ok, in zdoom format, (use doombuilder)doom in hexen format, make a sector that you want as the bridge. Put the bridge thing and set a radius( wisth of bridge) and thinkness. set the z height( the thinkness minus the sector height so that you can walk under it. Afterwards set the lindefs to make it look like a bridge. Viola! Just look at zdoom.org tutorials bridge thing for more info!

Mindless Rambler: you need to shorten your signature: that's way too long. Or better still, don't use one at all.

One line just saying something important about yourself is fine (this can actually be useful), but much more than that, or something that doesn't provide any useful information, gets quite tiresome.