Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Poll: Are HDTVS good for games?

Are HDTV's good for games?(Xbox 360 coming soon)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are HDTV's good for games?(Xbox 360 coming soon)

• Yes, I love it
    • No, it gave my tv damage/problems/pixels
    • I have no friggin clue

My dads determining whether or not he wants to buy a HDTV or not("52" JVC Flatscreen with stand). However hes been skeptical as hes heard some people complain about dead pixels on screen and other various problems users have had(but very minimum). This is a poll for users who know others who have HDTV's or own ones themselves voicing your opinion on if its a good buy.

If it's a projection TV then no. I have a 61 inch HDTV that's projection and in the manual it specifically points out that video games can damage the tv, like leave permanent color spots on the screen. I have played doom3 xbox on it a couple of times, and nothing happened, but I'd imagine to much of it will cause a problem. Furthermore, these TV's don't have a long life span. I've had mine for about four to five years and the color and audio parts went bad. Had to get them replaced, but I had to get a new warranty on the TV cause it was cheaper, which was nearly 600 bucaroos. But yeah, the hd channels are a sight to behold, blows DVD out of the water.

If it is, that only means it'll be cheaper.

If there would be problems with dead pixels, it won't be because of a video game. It'll be because the thing is a piece of shit. Solution: buy a reliable brand.

The color ruining the screen pretty much refers to pausing the game and leaving it on for a while. Sort of the same idea that a computer screensaver serves to defeat

See after all these years of new technology and whatnot, we're back to the age old problem of burn-in. Almost. Heh.

Bloodshedder said:

Or portions of the game (such as status bars) that never or rarely change position.

Especially crosshairs. Just think if you're playing all different first person shooters, they all have different status bars and stuff, but for most of them you probably have about the same plus in the center of your screen.

Go with front-projection. Your computer and progressive scan work out of the box, moving it around and finding space for it is a non-issue, and try burining an image into your wall.

Gokuma said:

Isn't HDTV already going to be obsolete soon?

don't think so. it's still "new" in terms of satellite and cable companies supporting it. I think it's here to stay for at least 5 more years.

Numbermind said:

If it is, that only means it'll be cheaper.

If there would be problems with dead pixels, it won't be because of a video game. It'll be because the thing is a piece of shit. Solution: buy a reliable brand.

That sadly isn't true.

For a start most hd screens are made in the same factories for multiple manufacturers, secondly there is an industry standard on all such screens that allows for a certain number of dead pixels to be overlooked. You can specify an overrule here, but it costs extra.

HDTVs are just good for the vertigo effect in movies. It's darn near impossible to get that effect in a game (unless you're the motion-sick type).

I truly am a dumbshit. I still haven't learned what the exact difference is between normal TV and HDTV, in terms of either the tech or the effect. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me?

EDIT:

Bloodshedder said:

Or portions of the game (such as status bars) that never or rarely change position.

*suddenly imagines seeing armor/life gauges and Doomguy's mug at the bottom of the screen during an episode of Seinfield*