• water style
    • lava style
    • poison style
    • boxes, storage
    • other

i am thinking of making a megawad for doom

i need some ideas what theme i could make

here is a poll of themes. i will make the theme with the most results

Boxes, go boxes 100%. An entire 32 levels of crates and darkness.

Make a german medieval poison tech castle with some asian and greek influences in the pillars and stairs. Decorate the place with lots of exploding poison barrels in the wine cellar and some nifty crates in the secret room. To enhance the atmosphere add a crashlanded space ship pointing out of the castle awkwardly. This ship is where you came from this place by outmaneuvering the Zargon death fleet but the castle just popped straight in front of you.

Zargons!!!! RUN!!!

Don't make a megawad, if your last few maps are any indication it would be a horrific disaster

Yes, seriously, don't start off trying to make a megawad. Just try to make one simple map, get some feedback on it, and all being well move on from there.

Use3D said:

Use3D said:

But that'd give it a 0:00 StC...and anybody who hates crates wouldn't play it. :p

I think a nice castle theme for at least some of it would go well...castles are fun. As you can probably tell, I've been to Britain.

I can't take this seriously. how many maps have you made and released? you should really make sure that you are able to make playable levels before you try and make a megawad. you could be wasting a crapload of time only to get a torrent of flames dropped on your head, because based on that lostentryway.wad and the 3-d screens from that other one you were working on (what ever happened to that?) thats what I see happening.

omg wth's wrong w/ you people. vote boxes now!

I voted boxes. I'm tempted to edit the poll to get it up to a decent number though.

-_DLD_- said:

But that'd give it a 0:00 StC

The titlepic could be full of crates too - what would the StC be then? Also, you could use dehacked to bring up an ASCII crate in the start-up text.

The entire megawad should be contained within one crate.

Other possibilities:

On a farm
Legos
Upside down
32 canthide.wad maps
Crusher mazes (a large room with a crusher for a ceiling, with small holes in various places where you'll have to stand under to survive)
Giant Land
Mini Land
Battleship TC
Lemonade stand (On each map you run a lemonade stand and various monsters come and buy lemonade from you. The map ends when you make enough money.)
Blue Oyster bar (Police Academy)
Disco Doom
Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Marble Madness TC
Office Space TC (for instance, Milton on a quest to reclaim is stapler)
Anime (with bad translations)

Ichor said:
Crusher mazes (a large room with a crusher for a ceiling, with small holes in various places where you'll have to stand under to survive)

Just download 15-20 random '94 WADs... you're certain to find one map which has either that, or a retarded barrel trap.

Use3D said:

What?
Seriously, I vote for a hellish megawad, totally hellish; or something that begins earthly and that goes more and more hellish, then finishes in hell. Or the reverse: you die in the first level, you go to hell and you must go back on earth, the levels are less and less hellish but more and more gory.

Ichor said:

Just a big crusher maze with the ceiling very high at the start, then it starts to drop when you cross the Start line. If you can't find exit when the crusher hits you... you're dead. There's no places to stand under..

I have an idea for a map:

Build a small torn apart dark torture chamber map.
The player has to destroy a few lost UAC machine,
find a soulsphere which is hidden behind three power generator,
find a demon gateway which is hidden behind some big computer,
kill ridiculous numbers of Cacodemons,
kill three Spidermasterminds,
kill a few Pain Elementals,
destroy three big computer,
destroy a lot demon gateway,
kill three Arachnotrons and
find a plasma gun

zap610 said:
Make a map based on a demon's head.

Kvernmo did.

Kristian Ronge said:
you're certain to find one map which has either that, or a retarded barrel trap.

I doubt he'll randomly chance upon the genuine Barrel wad itself.

that is a lot of box votes. maybe you should vote in the poll instead of voting in the forums. i have started the megawad with a box level but if any votes change i will make the second level different

i have so far released 2 wads but not on the idstuff just on the forums

it sounds annoying putting it on idstuff

TheHighestTree said:
The toilet alone can be 8 levels or so...

You get crushed by blocks of poo, and the slime is yellowish.

Grazza said:

I voted boxes. I'm tempted to edit the poll to get it up to a decent number though.The titlepic could be full of crates too - what would the StC be then? Also, you could use dehacked to bring up an ASCII crate in the start-up text.

Well then I would have to kill myself.

I vote for 32 maps of water. Everyone needs water to live, same with boxes, so what about 32 maps of boxes floating in the water? Now that's something we don't see often.

Just make sure to have the crate/barrel placement as arbitrary and pointless as possible, to give everybody a good laugh while trying to stay alive, find secrets, and charge through the level.

Change all the sprites, items, and weapons to various kinds of boxes as well.