Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

about the shadow algorithm

i've been hunting around the net for an explanation of Carmak's reverse. but i just dont get it. what was it about "old" shadow algorithms that caused havok when you were within th shadow? was it coded by a monkey? or was it something to do with a cheat uber fast shadow hack that went wrong? like. someone link me to an explanation cos from what i understand you'd

1. do some clipping by extruding the object from the light source.

2. render all the polys in there darker than the rest

ok so that's a very basic explanation but surely it's not rocket science? (though apparently it did take a rocket scientist to work out, heh)

Stencil shadows wasn't the hard part of the lighting engine. Getting it all unified (all from in-level light sources, no lightmaps, shadow maps or anything was the difficult part, as I understand it. Or rather, getting it to do that at a reasonable framerate, I should say. I'm fairly sure if zaldron drops by he can explain things properly but I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, it really pisses me off when I see a shadow "within" another shadow, like you do in alot of current games like HL2... it's just wronge loooking and that's not how the world works.

Youn said:

Yeah, it really pisses me off when I see a shadow "within" another shadow, like you do in alot of current games like HL2... it's just wronge loooking and that's not how the world works.

You can have a shadow within a shadow in the real world if there are two light sources. Just not if there's only one.

Nikanoru said:

You can have a shadow within a shadow in the real world if there are two light sources. Just not if there's only one.

I'm glad you noticed. You can also cross your eyes and move your index fingers together to form a floating sausage.

Youn said:

If something as trivial as that pisses you off, then I would suggest you just quit playing video games. Period.

Youn said:

I'm glad you noticed. You can also cross your eyes and move your index fingers together to form a floating sausage.

ROFL

But that's enough.

Youn said:

/tries it

DUDE OMG!

AgentSpork said:

If something as trivial as that pisses you off, then I would suggest you just quit playing video games. Period.

YEAH ARIOCH