Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Cold Hard Cash

WildWeasel reported on our very own forums that his latest and greatest weapon enhancement, Cold Hard Cash, has been released for Edge 1.29 RC3. Here's just a snippet from the original post:

... Cold Hard Cash removes the restrictions put into place by the mapper - up until now, you essentially followed the mapper's will in which weapons you picked up at which moments.CHC changes this by replacing all of the weapon pickups with dispenser terminals, where you can purchase your preferred weapon at any given moment - provided, of course, you have enough money.

Head on over to the forums for more information.

Sounds interesting. I hate to be Capt. Obvious but wouldn't it adversely affect gameplay as it was intended by the author? I guess that's just a risk the user will have to take. : P

I'd assume the community was wisened enough to know when a WAD plays worse with the mod.

To me it seems like the levels which would change the most are the ones with gobs of enemies and sparse ammo. If you had to make this mod balanced, that would mean that every level's monster/ammo ratio is just so.

It would be impossible for a weapon mod designer to adjust his mod to make sure it plays well with every level or level pack out there. Some levels will be harder and others easier as a result of balance changes to the game. However, from what I've played with this mod and some of the most popular level packs, the difficulty scales pretty well in most instances. There are admittedly some balance issues, especially in some levels, but Wild Weasel is planning on releasing a bug release sometime soon that will address some issues.

Ah, great mod. Nice and hard sometimes, just the way I like it! And, as usual, this just pwnts. Who sez edge isn't good? :D

Chrono_T said:

Ah, great mod. Nice and hard sometimes, just the way I like it!

heh, I couldn't help but laugh.

Wow, first time in a while I've made the front page. Thanks for comments, everyone, and your revised release ought to be coming soon.

EDIT: It's done, everybody - go redownload the mod if you've already got it.

needs more links in the post

Edit: You know a mod is awesome when it doesn't work.

"This version of EDGE cannot handle this DDF.
Error occured near line 9 of language.ldf
Line contents: #VERSION 1.29

(there was no edge32.exe in the 1.29 binary, and gledge32.exe is missing OpenAL32.dll)

That's not Weasel's fault, Ravage. The reason edge32.exe is "missing" is because the EDGE team has stopped supporting software mode. As for the OpenAL32.dll, my version doesn't come with it either. Are you sure you installed OpenAL? All EDGE 1.29 releases have come with an OpenAL installer.

kc32 said:

Will there be a ZDoom/GZDoom version anytime soon?

ZDoom's decorate system does not have the features necessary to emulate the functions of the weapons (especially the pistols). I would end up severely butchering them to get them to work (and it'd be a buggy hack at best if I were to add reloading). As for Fragglescript, I doubt it has the features to do something like this (that, and I'm too lazy to learn yet another scripting language).

ravage said:

Edit: You know a mod is awesome when it doesn't work.

"This version of EDGE cannot handle this DDF.
Error occured near line 9 of language.ldf
Line contents: #VERSION 1.29

(there was no edge32.exe in the 1.29 binary, and gledge32.exe is missing OpenAL32.dll)

A few things to note about the 1.29 series...

First, they had to axe the software renderer because it was getting too difficult to maintain with the GL version, so that's why there is no edge32.exe included.

Second...you'll have to run the OpenAL setup included with 1.29 RC 3 before you can run the game, because the sound system is dependent upon OpenAL.

And no, I couldn't make this for an earlier version. Too many things I can't emulate.

Got it to work. Concept is pretty cool, and well done, but overall it wasn't all that great. The reload button is annoying and slows gameplay considerably.

Actually, reloading can't be that hard to do. Look at Zen Dynamics. It's getting annoying that all these weapon mods are for EDGE and not Zdoom.

kc32 said:

Actually, reloading can't be that hard to do. Look at Zen Dynamics.

Zen Dynamics relies on ACS scripts to do its reloading. Without a map to make scripts for, I'd have to either make reloading fully automatic (which I don't like at all) or put it on the alt-fire (and consequently butcher the weapons). Really, neither solution is to my satisfaction.

Scuba Steve said:

I'm pretty sure you can have global scripts, which don't require a level.

Really, I'd be more than happy if somebody were to port my purchase scripts to ZDoom to the point that they'd work on any level that is loaded without edits, but at this point I really don't feel like dealing with those buggy crappy terminals anymore.