Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

Scariest maps?

What maps have scared you harder than any others?

Map 32 for Hellcore is very scary, even if it has no monsters, and the Mr X map for Scythe 2 is scary as well.

I enjoy scary maps like these. Doom 3 just doesn't frighten me as much as these old Doom maps!

Asylum of the Wretched (aotw) springs to mind. It's certainly very atmospheric, and while I wouldn't say it's actually "scary", it might well make you jump at times.

I don't know about "scary", but I remember a lot of the DooM levels (like E1M5 and E1M8) scared the crap out of me during my first few playthroughs as a kid. I'll always have those scary memories of those levels.

Ah, good times.

e1m2's maze

funnily my mate got doom3 on the xbox and i was having a go at the doom2 port on that while he was watching, after blasting through the first few levels an imp appeared where i wasnt expecting it and we both jumped a foot in the air.... after deriding me for ages for still playing a decade-old game he said "it's still got it!" i said, "fuck yeah", heh

This map Phobia from 2001 by some guy called Ebola is pretty spooky/atmospheric I've been told. But I wouldn't know, it's for Legacy and I don't use Legacy since it only crash on my computer.

E1M4's minimaze (I wonder if Romero intended for that part to be like the vent shaft escape from "Aliens"...), E1M5's little symmetrical area with the Imps coming down from those lowering platforms, its dark glowy maze with the Spectres, Map28 Monster Condo in DooM 2, prettymuch all of Aliens TC, E4M1 of Ultimate DooM (not as much scary as HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP KEEP MOVING THAT WAS CLOSE), E3M6 (when you get into the building where the blue key is and monsters start pourin' out of the doors and that little hut just outside the building), E2M2 (CratecratecrateIMP!), and...Those are all I can think of at the moment.

KwadDamyj said:

E1M4's minimaze (I wonder if Romero intended for that part to be like the vent shaft escape from "Aliens"...)

That's quite probable.

Zeg-Vok said:

Circus666 is pretty atmospheric

Yeah that one is a real gem. Awesome atmosphere.

caco_killer said:

Face Your Fears is scary, unfortunately, it's a really cheap scare.

Either you get scared, or you don't.

Aliens TC and Eternal Doom really freaked me out back in the days.

Sadhusct.wad will give you nightmares for days, assuming your brain survives the ordeal.

Just about any of the maps for the Absolution add on. Also, I'm still a lingering fan of my old map submitted to /newstuff some time back.

Higher Game said:

I can't even figure out how to leave the first room in AOTW. It looks scary, though.

Wake up the guards (either by bumping into one through the window or by punching the air), and they will then open the door for you. Be sure you are using the deh file - it is essential for the wad to work at all.

There are a few demos for this wad here. Note that you'll need to use the right version of the wad (there are at least three versions that have been made public) for the demos to work - there are download links on that page.

Scuba Steve said:

Map 32 of Hellcore was great... too bad it was never completed.

Yeah, that map was awesome. It actually kinda creeped me out a bit.. something not many classic Doom maps can achieve.

I think the only time I was actually scared was in map30 (I think) of Eternal where two revenants popped up from the ground in my face. I totally wasn't expecting it because I had never seen it done in a Doom map.

I'm a n00b at this. I only know how to use Zdoom to play normal wad files. I don't know how to use .deh files and I don't know how to use MS DOS batch files. I'm not old enough to remember DOS or when Doom came out. :(

There are a lot of wads I want to use that require magic to run, and I'm not a wizard. Is there a FAQ anywhere that handles this? The text files that come with wads often aren't very descriptive for me.

By the way, this wad called Daedalus somehow makes monsters as triggered events, even if they aren't shown in the minimap monster count. It would be awesome if Hellcore 32 took advantage of this. Some unsuspecting player thinks there aren't monsters, but then spectres eat him from out of nowhere! Yeah, that would be cool.

kristus said:

That's quite probable.

Yeah that one is a real gem. Awesome atmosphere.

Either you get scared, or you don't.

Aliens TC and Eternal Doom really freaked me out back in the days.

Eternal Doom...That's the medieval-ish one Team TNT made, right? I find it too wide-open at times to be scary...

People always mention Crusades, and IMO it's completely ridden from anything even resembling atmosphear. But I suppose that's just me. :/

I just got done playing Hellcore's map32, and I nearly had a heart attack when that gib came out from under the door. I was almost too afraid to go on when the music stopped again.

Scary maps aren't very (re)playable; the first few times you might find them scary, but you'll also likely die in the process.

For that matter, attempting to play a wad using saves or cheats will water down or kill any scare factor.

Aliens TC is a good example of a generally scary wad, and you'll get a similar result if you put enough work into something that has unfamiliar opponents, not much healing nor ammo, and generally dim environments. The dark color of the aliens and the behavior and size of the facehuggers helped the scare factor in Alien TC's case.

Some (standard) DOOM maps can also be scary on the first couple tries, but generally less so, as we are aware of how the monsters act and they are generally relatively visible (non-dark colors, fire arm brightness, and fireballs.)

But recently I've found DOOM itself scary, because I changed my config to a new setup where as of now I have some issues strafing and keeping my bearings. It's so scary I stated playing it on "Not too rough."

I remember the first time that I played doom when I was four on the psx. I remeber having the shit scared out of me when a spectre pops out of nowhere. Also, on the n64 the level Dark Citadel is in pitch black and the specters here move completely silent, and the maze in pitch black is scary as fuck. It is by far the scariest level in doom due to not being able to see a thing, if the level is played on the default setting, which has no brightness on the n64.