Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Advent Doom Calendar for December 2005

The maps will be up at DAC's page.(the adress is case sentive) Enjoy. :)

The idea of this advent calendar is to have one downloadable map each day in December for people to download, just simply to make the wait time for christmas eve shorter. :P

AgentSpork
Aleaver
DooMBoy
Erik
Frades
Job
Joe
Kaiser
Lutrov71
Sargebaldy
Shtbag667
SlatheDoomer
Stoned
TheHighestTree
Tormentor667
Xenphire

(everybody with a * has sent me a finish map)
The team list is:

* Bloodskull
* Cycloid
* Doom2day
*DooMknight
* Dr. Zin
* Mephisto
* Potgiesser
* Ravage
* TheDarkArchon
* Use3D
* Zap610

(if I forgotten anyone, please mail or post a reply to thead)

You can use any texture wad, any theme and any difficult level. (just not port specfic) And also any finished maps, you haven't published. People are also free to make either 1 or 2 maps for this project.
The maps should be finished 1-2 weeks before December, so I can pick which dates they should have in the advent calendar. Please replay to this thread or e-mail me tornthedark@no-spam.gmail.com (remove no-spam) if you want to sign up.

Torn

Edit: I will put a page up soon at my old domain, torn-net.dk for this christmas project.
And remember, I don't want any shitty newbie maps. It shouldn't *be understand like I don't want any newbie mappers in the project. But if a map sucks, it just won't be in the project. And with that I mean a map with big errors, etc...

I suppose my schedule is free - sign me up.

To clarify my role in this - I'm going to be making a single techbase-style map for vanilla/chocolate Doom. I feel that working with GZDoom and the like just kills my motivation (because of so much that is possible), so limiting myself is the way to go here.

Great idea.

Why not turn this into a MegaWAD of sorts? As in each level gets slightly tougher, there's a slight theme, etc.

Just an idea.

nothing to stop it being compiled as one come jan 2nd.. 31 days in dec + jan 1st = 32 maps! ... if i get time i'll knock something together but i'm making no promises..

edit: just remembered Xmas mode on team fortress (or TFC for me) ... ahh, happy memories of having mod privelidges and turning it on at random times of the year. presents anybody? coop doom was the driving force behind our home network in the 90s and many an xmas day was spent blasting through the whole thing (all 3 of my brothers in the house at the same time from uni etc.) as comedically or fast as possible. in later years i'd play aforementioned TFC with my online buddies (back in my clan days). i REALLY need to get broadband sorted so i can advent it up with you guys properly! (either that or could you all make the downloads < 1.44mb ? :-)

WildWeasel said:

Do you mind if I start posting shots of my progress in this thread?

Thats fine for me, but it need to be text links or it will take too much space in the thread. :)

-_DLD_- said:

Great idea.

Why not turn this into a MegaWAD of sorts? As in each level gets slightly tougher, there's a slight theme, etc.

Just an idea.

cycloid said:

nothing to stop it being compiled as one come jan 2nd.. 31 days in dec + jan 1st = 32 maps! ... if i get time i'll knock something together but i'm making no promises..

I thought of that. Like 24. December you could take all the finished maps in one big wad. Thats all the other 23 maps plus 9 more. But I do not know about that idea atm, but it would be a fine idea. But the main goal now is to finish 24 maps.

Plus I added the new people to the team list. DLD, if you are on the team, please say so. Thanks.

DLD, if you are on the team, please say so. Thanks.

I'm glad you like my ideas and such, but I won't be able to be on the team, unfortunately. Why, you ask? Because I can't map worth crap. I've made 3 maps (DooMBoy's played them), and they really do suck, though they're not bad for n00b attempts, apparently.

Oh well. Hopefully I can get better at mapping soon, because if I do, I'd love to pitch in, though I doubt I'll be any use by December.

The end boss could be Kris Kringle and then there should be little dwarves with their harmless toyguns to be splattered around with mega missiles and guns and a LOBOtomic meathook :D Then the easter bunny will be happy :D

Aw.. I want more Lobo comics...

Latest progress on my map...

I've decided to take bits and pieces out of an unfinished EDGE map to paste into this one, which means that progress has skyrocketed. To commemorate the occasion, I've taken four screenshots which I now link to (screens were taken in Chocolate Doom, because I'm too lazy to take them with ZDoom):

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom032zq.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom023lm.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom011ds.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom003zi.jpg

I'm game. A usey map for all during a season of giving and lonliness!

Dr. Zin said:

Can I join?

EDIT: Does not port specific mean pure vanilla or can we use Boom features too?

Well, boom features are allowed, as many ports support them.

Ok Torn, you can sign me up. It will probably not be a very large map though.

Hello,

I sent you an email last night. I guess I should have replied to this thread too. I'm very interested in helping out.

Please email me.

--SlatheDoomer

SlatheDoomer said:

Hello,

I sent you an email last night. I guess I should have replied to this thread too. I'm very interested in helping out.

Please email me.

--SlatheDoomer

Sorry, but I didn't get any email from you. Did you remove the nospam part of the email?

Sign me up. No clue if CC3 is still alive. This project sounds simple enough.

Torn said:

Well, boom features are allowed, as many ports support them.

I do not even know how to upload a wad, i tried once but it did'nt work.

doom2day said:

I do not even know how to upload a wad, i tried once but it did'nt work.

I can use that wad, if someone will help me upload it somehow...
I will join but i will need help uploading