Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caco_killer

Next-gen console reliability.

I've started to think about how reliable the next gen consoles will be. I hope they're better then this gen's consoles, because they've been pretty crappy.

I bought my PS2 in 2001, and it broke in 2004, so I sent it in and got it repaired for free. A year later, it's starting to act up again. I've had my Nintendo 64 for eight years, and it's still working great. Anyone think the next-gen consoles will last for as long as my N64?

I bought an xbox the month it came out, It still runs fine today. It's the original model, with the original style controller and such, and I'm very proud of it, I believe that people's consoles are breaking because they aren't caring for them. It's an investment, I treat is as such.

I've never had a broken or otherwise monged-up console. Reliability is not an issue for me...despite the fact i will not be buying a next-gen or an next-next-gen system

If my xbox can take the stress of being on 24 hours a day as a server, I think it's pretty reliable. Then again, I don't have the cdrom drive or video card in use very often.

My XBOX broke, but then it fixed itself.

True, the N64 is tough, because it's the games that break. They're the poorest carts I've seen since the NES.

As for the next-gen? I know for a fact each will be reliable.

None of my Nintendo consoles have ever broken. EVER. They're the most durable shit I've ever seen. The Gamecube survived being dragged behind a truck or something.

The XBox survived being thrown from a window and being shot with a gun.

The PS2 breaks if you touch it the wrong way.

In conclusion, the Nintendo and Microsoft consoles will probably be pretty durable as opposed to the Sony shoddy production.

I bought my PS2 two years ago and it's working pretty well still. My N64 hasn't broken at all, and the carts still work just fine (though Perfect Dark is acting up). My PS1 works like a charm. My Dreamcast is in exactly the condition I bought it in (back in 2001), despite the fact that I actually have made several all-night marathons on it (Sonic Adventure, Jet Grind Radio, and Shenmue). Even my Gamecube is in good condition (last I saw it anyway...gave it to my older brother when he moved out).

Heck...my SNES and Genesis still work perfectly (though Mega Man X refuses to load, but I bought it used), and I can feel free to load a game of Sub-Terrania if I so desire.

If the conditions of my current-gen consoles are any testament, I'd guess that the next generation of consoles will be more reliable. Because after all...doesn't anybody remember the NES days? Where even a newly-bought NES might have problems loading cartidges, or the buttons might not work? We've come a long way since then, people.

In summation, I think that all consoles are reliable as long as you treat them with respect and don't throw them at your walls.

Of course, if you throw controls when you get mad during gameplay the PS3 is probably for you since it'll probably come back to you.

Ralphis said:

In summation, I think that all consoles are reliable as long as you treat them with respect and don't throw them at your walls.

Of course, if you throw controls when you get mad during gameplay the PS3 is probably for you since it'll probably come back to you.

Lol, I forget the PS3 controllers were boomerang shaped. I take good care of my consoles, maybe it's just my bad luck with electronics. My CD Burner works only when it feels like it, and my Sony Stereo will screw up the speakers once and while.

The only console thats managed to break on me was my Playstation that I had for about 7 years. Damn cd holder popped off as I was trying to take out Crash Bandicoot or something. Also had to buy a new Ps2 cause my old one's lasers had burnt out(got mine the month it came out so it explains it).
Other than that all my systems have been alright, especially my Snes and Genesis.

only system that ever crapped out on me was the good ole 8-bit nes. my snes, n64, genesis, ps, and ps2 are still going strong. I even found my original gameboy, the bulky first production run model, a couple of years ago and tried it out. I popped some batteries in there and some games still worked.

some of my friends have complained about their x-box or ps2 goin south, but maybe thats just because of abuse or defect. I hope these next consoles are built as tough as the ones I've owned.

My Sega Megadrive just recently fucked up, my Atari console is still going strong. My first PS1 was ruined by my cousin who vomited into it (on purpose, I believe, jealous cunt) but my second one is still kicking. My PS2 which I got soon as it hit England is flawless and I've dropped it a few times. I just hope the PS3 can take as much punishment as my other systems, because I am an unlucklily clumsy bugger.

Coopersville said:

My XBOX broke, but then it fixed itself.reliable.

Wow, now that's next generation consoles....

I personally don't have a console, but my one friend has an original nes which is quite a few years old. Works well enough, though cartridges dirty up often.

Janderson said:

My first PS1 was ruined by my cousin who vomited into it (on purpose, I believe, jealous cunt) but my second one is still kicking.

You mean that some kid actually had the guts to literally barf & puke onto the lens inside the CD tray?
How was such barbarism possibly allowed to happen?
And I thought that I was already acquainted with the world's meanest vandalizers, until I read your post.

I hope you gave him your vengeance.

Playstations have always been shit when it comes to reliability, which isn't good, coming from Sony.

They've just opened a new centre here in Cornwall of places to fix broken PSX and PS2s as well as Apple products and given the amount of work the guys seemed to have well, speaks for itself.

My PSX won't start unless it's on it's side, which is nice.

Nevr had a console break on me. From my Attari, colleco vission to my Nes, SNES, N64 to XBox. Never had one break. Even my old Intelevision still starts up :D. However I bought used duds such as my genesis, master system, mega cd, and Nec Turbo.

caco_killer said:

I bought my PS2 in 2001, and it broke in 2004, so I sent it in and got it repaired for free. A year later, it's starting to act up again.

The type 1 ps2[not the slim ps2] has a problem with getting dust on the cd drive. I know alot of people that have thrown there ps2 away cuz it acts up or would not read disks. You should use a Laser-Lens Cleaner about every 2 months. Or if your house gets realy dusty then once a month.

Hark, these are the disadvantages of having moving parts in a game console. When you use ROM/EEPROM (like N64) your durability is much better.

Rotting Corpse said:

The type 1 ps2[not the slim ps2] has a problem with getting dust on the cd drive. I know alot of people that have thrown there ps2 away cuz it acts up or would not read disks. You should use a Laser-Lens Cleaner about every 2 months. Or if your house gets realy dusty then once a month.

What Laser-Lens Cleaner should I use? I tried one once and it didn't work at all.

AndrewB said:

Hark, these are the disadvantages of having moving parts in a game console. When you use ROM/EEPROM (like N64) your durability is much better.

Untile the pins and claps erode and you no longer get a connection.

caco_killer said:

What Laser-Lens Cleaner should I use? I tried one once and it didn't work at all.

Memorex CD DVD Laser Lens Cleaner. It worked for me every time I used one. You might need to run it more then once. Also most have what they call the "cleaning track" the track on the cleaner that cleans your lens. Run that track 2 or 3 times.

Technician said:

Untile the pins and claps erode and you no longer get a connection.

Moral: Don't mix tin and gold, EVER!

I don't have a console, but a friend had a Nes lots of years ago, wich survived having BREAD inside for a pair of weeks, and a pencil or something like that (more than once) crawling there trying to get the food out, guided by a not so delicated boy.

DarkJedi188 said:

I hope you gave him your vengeance.

I would have scratched his goddamned lens out if the next time I met him he hadn't turned into such a nice guy. Fear not though, now that he can drink I'm sure i can give him some sly and extensive punishment without fear of retaliation. Possibly unbearable humiliation.

Voice at the back: What're ya going to do Janderson, hang out with the poor bugger?

Shut up you.

Back on topic,I find it awesome yet saddening to see that your first ever console outlives your newest additions. I guess this is what I'm going to feel if I attend my grandchildrens' funerals. I just wish there was a way to keep the newstuff simple, then again the newstuff has graphics and the oldstuff had gameplay.

/Mourns the loss of a whole pile of games.

Who else hates dust?

My NES all the way through the GameCube are still functioning just fine.
My PS1 won't read from disks anymore, and my PS2 can only play PS1 games.
I've had one X-Box die, and I had to get it replaced.

I doubt things will change very much with future consoles.

My PS2 DVD laser burnt out in about a year. Too many nights falling asleep watching a movie. My Sega Genesis is still hooked up and works great.. other than that, I poured a cup of apple juice into my Nintendo.. rendering it, and Double Dragon, an 8-bit paperweight.