Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

The Spew

After KwadDamyj mentiond Marathon on another thread I did a little googleing and discovered that it was avlable for (leagle) free Download. Unfortunely, I cant seem to play the damn thing for more then a few moments without getting very ill. Not even the first Wolfenstein gets me like this.

So, today's topic is: what games have made you ill over the years, and has anybody heard about anything can be done about it?

I'd still like to play Marathon, but not if I have to endure a splitting headache to do so.

I had stopped playing DOOM recently for a while (due to hardware issues) and when I "returned" I decided to change my setup. When first trying new setups after the hiatus playing gave me headaches and made me feel slightly ill. But not anymore, though, at all.

I do recall feeling equally sick in the past playing Wolfenstien 3D, and long ago playing a TekWar demo.

I haven't actually felt ill since I played the original Descent about ten years ago. Nowadays, it doesn't matter how smooth a game runs, or how convincing the 3D effect is. I have grown resistant.

I got ill when I play quake3 arena or unreal tournament online. All that damn jumping around and speedracing gets me dizzy and zombified.

I know someone who cant play racing games because of the motion and all. but im fine and basicly allways have been. i do get that sensation of heights though (falling) a little bit when i jump off of high areas in doom/qauke3, in huge city/outdoor style maps. especialy when i have been playing for long periods of time in the dark.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

I've heard of people getting sick on Blood's 'In the flesh' level. Anyone here?

No problems here, except for that pesky Cerberus.

The Killzone 2 trailers at E3 2005 (or was it 2004?) made me disoriented from all the immersive movement.

Not nausea-related, but Medal of Honor: Frontline gave me mini-shellshock after about 3 weeks straight of playing it habitually. It was storming outside, I was indoors, I heard thunder, thought it was artillery, and instinctively had an urge to take cover. O_o

I must have been gaming for too long!
Wait... a video game can make you feel ill?
I am mostly for first person shooters, but I have a few side scrolling fighting games, street fighter and guilty gear X2, that have the super ceasure flashing. Does not affect me at all...
I have never felt ill playing a video or computer game.

The only time I felt sick after playing a game was when I had a horrible head cold, a headache, and decided to practice Max300 on maniac on DDR.

I'd do it again, too :(

There's a source port of Marathon you can get called Marathon Aleph One. It lets you play Marathon in Open GL, which makes the graphics much clearer. It's here: http://source.bungie.org/ .

Games with that blur effect will give me headaches. I was playing the Shadow of Colossus demo yesterday and I only played it for a few minutes because of that.

caco_killer said:

There's a source port of Marathon you can get called Marathon Aleph One. It lets you play Marathon in Open GL, which makes the graphics much clearer. It's here: http://source.bungie.org/ .

Games with that blur effect will give me headaches. I was playing the Shadow of Colossus demo yesterday and I only played it for a few minutes because of that.

Also, Google for Orbital Arm for some nice texture enhancement packs and other things.

Google for Marathon RED and Marathon Rubicon, too. They're kickass TCs.

Occasionally I've also felt somewhat ill watching some badly played recordings... all in all it always has to do with bad movement; uncoordinated and irregular moves without good focus.

The main thing I see wrong with Marathon is that the art is just so god damned bad. I mean, just look at THIS for god's sake. If that's not god awful, then I don't know what is. Oh, and the game is boring as hell. That's probably worth mentioning as well.

Not many games that make me "sick". One of the above mentioned games (Wolfenstein 3D) does. It makes me glad that there is Doom, which evolved much beyond the whole "running aimlessly through a large, confusing maze for hours". I think I got stuck on the second level of Wolfenstein for three hours once.

Captain Red said:

After KwadDamyj mentiond Marathon on another thread I did a little googleing and discovered that it was avlable for (leagle) free Download. Unfortunely, I cant seem to play the damn thing for more then a few moments without getting very ill. Not even the first Wolfenstein gets me like this.

So, today's topic is: what games have made you ill over the years, and has anybody heard about anything can be done about it?

I'd still like to play Marathon, but not if I have to endure a splitting headache to do so.

Doom. I cant play longer than 10 minutes with out feeling sick. Opengl ports tends to alleviate it to a degree.

Funfact: Hideo Kojima cannot play 3rd Person games because he has something called 3D sickness. He can't play his new MGS Subsistance (and possibly MGS4) because of it's new 3rd person view feature.