Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rotting Corpse

Painkiller.

Technician said:

I thought it was great once you get pasted the grave yard. I really should get the expansion pack.

Buy it as soon as you can. Its worth ever penny.

Zeg-Vok said:

Painkiller is what Doom 3 Should have been

I aggree. Dont get me wrong I liked Doom 3 alot. But, People can fly [the devloper of Painkiller]did one thing that Id should do. They didnt try to move the FPS game "forward." IMO Id ever since quake 3 Id has been sliping. They are trying to make there games to inovative.
There graphics have to be bigger and better. The game engien has to be bigger and better. All that is good but they are forgeting one thing the game play. Doom 3 was a good looking and sounding game but the game play was a bit hallow.

Painkiller didnt try to reinvent the fps. Yes the game has great graphics but its more about game play. Its fast, simple and most importantly fun. Insted of having jawdroping gfx or some powerful game engian they stuck to the fps roots. Painkiller feals and playes more like Doom 1&2 then Doom 3.

Id should stop trying to be inovative and just start puting soild games. They could use the doom 3 engian for years and I would not care if the games were soild.

When I think Doom, I think a violent gorey twitchfest with powerful weapons used on hordes of enemies while listening to Music with bits taken from several popular "Bands" with no credit given to them. That kicks ass. Not skulking around for hours in a dark Mars base with nothing but ambient sounds, a room with maybe 4 enemies in it at the most, and a chaingun that can onily hold 60 rounds at a time. I wont even mention the Soul cube or the Artifact, and how they ruined the Manc's by giving them elephant trunks and making them shoot laser bolts. Painkill was more innovative than Doom 3, thanks to its Gigantic Bosses that would make Doom 3's Megamanish Cyberdemon spray shit all over the place, but Painkiller has the StakeGun, which can lob nades that can then by Staked to go farther. I could go on, but this is a Doom Forum, thus Ill stop

Rotting Corpse said:

IMO Id ever since quake 3 Id has been sliping. They are trying to make there games to inovative.
There graphics have to be bigger and better. The game engien has to be bigger and better.

Man. This is pretty ignorant stuff right here.

They're trying to make their games innovative? Since when have they claimed they're trying to make their games innovative? During DOOM 3's development, time and time and time again, interviewed employees of id said they were just making a solid core game. Not the next big thing in terms of gameplay innovation, gameplay modes, and the like.

Id is not the company putting eleven weapons in their stupid game, each with an alternate fire mode.

Their graphics have always had to be bigger and better. That's the way Carmack has operated since the literal beginning of the company. Id always, always, always sets the standard for the rest of the industry in terms of their graphics engines.

Occasionally, they come out with their stuff and then just year or so later, someone beats it in terms of graphics, (which will be the case of the DOOM 3 engine being trumped by Unreal 3 Engine) but the general ebb and flow of things is that id steps it up big-time, ever single time, in the technology department.

And what do you mean their gameplay is lacking? What do you want, silly physics puzzles that only take a three year old to figure out? Did you want a silly weapon that picks things up and throws them (d3xp, if you must)? Did you want some stupid motorcycle or tank to drive (which is fun for maybe like, five minutes)?

And don't even start about Quake III being a bad game. There's a reason that it's still played competitively for serious, serious money, and a reason poor games like the Unreal Tournament games are not.

Id is still very much the best in the business, in my opinion. If you get some journalist or casual gamer, neither of which know anything about great games to begin with (I'm speaking generally, of course), they start whining about silly issues like "innovative gameplay," when what they're actually talking about (the gay vehicles, having 100 weapons, regardless of their functionality) is just a bunch of fluff to keep their attention span from waning.

I would go on, because it's been like, a year since my last long rant in relation to a moron, but I have to go. :/ Be back in two days.

Just tried the demo, seems pretty nifty, i may even buy it! What's the mapping scene like for it then?

Pain Killer's the shit. The weapons are all pretty kick ass, and the gameplay is fast paced with constant swarms of shit to shoot at. The tarot cards add another element of strategy too.

If your a FPS junkie and are thinking about buying it, it's worth the money.

For some reason, Painkiller (from what I know of it) makes me think of Serious Sam meets DooM/Army of Darkness/Evil Dead.

KwadDamyj said:

For some reason, Painkiller (from what I know of it) makes me think of Serious Sam meets DooM/Army of Darkness/Evil Dead.

You are correct sir, that is Exactly what it is

Mogul said:

Man. This is pretty ignorant stuff right here.

Quake 3 is good I never said that I was a bad game. I didnt say that Doom 3 sucked. I just said that the game play was lacking. There is no
reason for me to reinstall it and play it to the end. Its more of a one shot game. Replayabity is one thing that it lacked. If I spend $50 on a game there should be a reason to replay the game. A little more variaty when it came to the monsters would have helped. Having a flashlight on your gusn would have made the game better. Switching form the flash light to a gun and back to the flashlight in a fire fight sucked. It should been more like Doom. I liked the fact that Id tryed to give it more of a horror feal. But, there are little things that they could have done to give it that old Doom feal. One could have been redone the Doom 1 and 2 sound track and have music play though out the game insted of having music in some parts.

As for the whole Half-Life2 thing..I dont buy a fps for its a silly weapon that picks things up and throws them or its silly physics puzzles. I play them cuz I like the run and gun game play. Half-life 2
did have physics and other stuff thrown in but it had some good run and gun game play also.

Also The fact that you start to throw out insalts becouse some one else thinks diffrently then you do make you the moron and ignorant.
People can and will allways think diffrently then you. Thats a fact of life.

Painkiller's draw is definitely its simplicity and uninterrupted gameplay. No in-game cut scenes or friendly characters to deal with. This isnt to say that those are bad elements, but it makes the game really easy to get into. You just pick it up and play.

Also the last level is brilliant.

I liked Painkiller new map theme. Its purgatory and it has opera houses, asylums, military basses, caves, train stations and many more. Not to mention you fight zombies, skeletons, soldiers, bikers, fetishists, ninjas, lepers, and a slew of other monsters.

Mogul said:

moron

Try and keep personal comments out of it, your point was enough on its own.

Zeg-Vok said:

Painkiller is what Doom 3 Should have been

Fuck no! The game gets boring and predictive too fast.

The entire game is just a case of "Move into an area - all exits are sealed - one billion monsters pop up out of nowhere".
They even killed whatever suspense the first three-level painkiller demo had by having metal music play EVERY TIME EVEN A SINGLE MONSTERS REARS ITS UGLY FACE!

And you think that's what Doom is all about?

The weapons are also unbalanced as Hell, with the majority being equally effective, but at least they're all powerful and the stake gun is awesome. Oh and let's not forget about the retarded, über-Hollywoodized plot and complete lack of continuity in the level design.

Oh and level design is all real life locations - instead of trying to make Purgatory (and Hell) look imaginative and alien. At least Doom 3 had a cool space station theme even if it was perhaps a bit too dominating a theme in that game.

Well, at least we can agree to disagree (I hope).

dsm said:

aving metal music play EVERY TIME EVEN A SINGLE MONSTERS REARS ITS UGLY FACE!

I didn't care for that at all. Really killed the atmosphere in the darker levels.

Dooms plot seems as if it was pasted in there at the last minute, after they finished the game, and then realised that they needed some form of story to explain why your killing lots of things. And Classic doom is a Kill monsters, find the key, next level, kind of game. And lets face facts, the Ghostrider skull guys who took meatshields were awesome