Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
F8al 4ce

Origin of most acadamia........

Would you say that the origin of most acadamia came from people who were high? seriously, who would actually take time to diagram a sentence or develop the quadratic formula.... considering that most of these theories and structures were developed in olden days, when things like MJ were legal and were not questioned, anyways, any thoughts?

I can't draw a correlation between the great minds of our time and more open drug cultures throughout history. I'd say the only connection has to do with the overall state of mankind in a particular era. They're both dictated by it, and directly proportional. But I can't empirically say that great minds do drugs and druggies have great minds-- especially considering my stance on drugs being used for therapy and recreation and not much else.

well i guess back in the day, its not like they had anything else to do. it seems most of the great thinkers back then came from rich families, so they didnt really have to worry about working and survival. and if they didnt have that to occupy themselves with, they couldnt play video games.

Paging Dr. McKenna to ee thread #34150, Dr. McKenna, code red, your quack theories and shitty books are needed STAT...

Danarchy said:

Freud was a cokehead.

What's your problem with Freud? Even with the nazis (that by the way killed some of his relatives, and almost himself) he developed such advanced, and effective theory.

"Most academia" (see that E instead of A thing there?) was developed in baby-steps. With things like math, you take something you know to compare it to something you don't know and use the similar properties of both, and you end up with formulae that you can prove and then use as a tool for a lot of stuff in the future.

As far as sentence diagrams go, that was a shitty attempt at teaching, but understanding parts of speech and sentence structure is important so you don't end up with complete nonsense... quite as often.

None of these rules/formulae/models require a significant singular leap or major epitome to discover. Only curiosity and effort and taking one step at a time are required.

Vegeta said:

What's your problem with Freud? Even with the nazis (that by the way killed some of his relatives, and almost himself) he developed such advanced, and effective theory.

Which has all been thrown out the window now.

Guardian said:

Oh sure, and I threw DOOM out the window now that people made Alien Vendetta and Action Doom.

myk said:

Oh sure, and I threw DOOM out the window now that people made Alien Vendetta and Action Doom.

Wouldn't surprise me if some people have. *shrugs* I'd be disappointed, but not surprised.

Numbermind said:
...especially considering my stance on drugs being used for therapy and recreation and not much else.

Uhhh... Is there another use for drugs?

Captain Red said:

Well, they teach you calculus, particle physics and geometry

Guardian said:

His theory is still used in some topics, also it wasn't abandoned, updated that's very diferent (think like a Sigmund Freud's source port for some of the actual psychoanalisis theories).
Each country prefer certain theories, and that is transmited to the student, I understand that you don't like much his theory.

I think I owe an apology. I'm crushing on a guy who appears to fervently dislike Frued, and obviously that trickled into here. My apologies.

Janderson said:

What ever floats your boat.

What, you think I'm gay? :-P Well, I suppose I could be, but I don't go for the same sex. I'm female.

Janderson said:

I was just playing :P but wow, I didn't think there were any females left!

You probably thought this because most of the time they turn out to be men pretending to be girls.

And if you didn't, you should of.

Anyway in literature some of the greatest figures have of course, been of their face. One thinks of the Romantics automatically, Coleridge very fond of laudenum, Byron on anything going, amazingly Blake seemed to never touch anything.

More recently there's Dylan Thomas of course, to name but one.

Literary theory though, tends to be very, very sober.

pritch said:
you should of.

I'd like to try whatever makes people type that.

Anyway in literature some of the greatest figures have of course, been of their face.

Yeah. It appears Poe fancied opium.

Literary theory though, tends to be very, very sober.

Hey, Derrida was into literary criticism too!

myk said:

Alcoholic too. He was something awesome.

Captain Red said:

No, but some would like to think that it makes them more personable, insightful or capable to work, and so on.

Myk said:

OPIUM IS THE SHIT.

Janderson said:

I was just playing :P but wow, I didn't think there were any females left!

Amazing, isn't it? ;-P

And didn't Shakespeare take something, or am I myself on something just thinking that?

I make no assumptions about what recreational drugs can or can't do. It those fucks who make it seem as if they can't carry on through the day or function as a normal member of society without them.

Meh, language changes and you can't stop it. Ever wonder why when language was used with drugs and little regard to teh rools they were considered the greatest points in literature? and now that we have all these rules and guidelines language is disintagrating, crumbling, dying, etcetera? Should of kept it old school IMO.