Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Quake 4 - Fun!!

Just picked it up today..

PLayed for about 4 hours, figure I'm halfway through. Playing it on easy though..

It's pretty easy to get involved in the story, but the constant "follow the soldier, unlock door" gets old. Fortunetly, the AI on the bots isn't bad.

Oh, about that story part, wait until you get captured..EEK!

Multiplayer seems quite fun!!

Well Quake 4 being out is a good and a bad thing for me. I have to pick up my copy of F.E.A.R. that I preorderd months ago. And I want Quake 4. In the coming weeks I will have little to no free time. So I have to play one and let the other collect dust intel I finish one of them. I dont like to play 2 or 3 games at once.

Epyo said:

How close is it to doom 3's gameplay? Faster? I don't want to play doom 3 2.

It's very different from Doom 3.

It's an OK game, I never really liked Q3A so the multiplayer doesn't entrhall me, and the single player is OK but could be much better. I'd give it a 7.1/10

OK I haven't got far. I haven't had enought sleep. So Far it's pretty good for a post SOF Raven game...

...but it's still a raven game. that means lots of "Hand of God" scripted sequences (*Gasp*! A Locked door! But whats this? A lazer do-dat with a button on it? I wonder what happens if I press it? Well golly gosh! It's blew up some explocive crates making a path! Yay!) However it's not quite as bad here, Since it was quake 2 was full of that kind of thing anyway.

Lots of MOH squad based type mucking about. Nice to have medics around.

Quake 4 seems to be more linear then doom 3, but a little more fast paced.

I've yet to se the return of any Quake 2 monsters... I'd like to see some at lest.

Oh and the shotgun Dosn't suck (God quake 2s shotties where shit)

I've had fun so far. From what I've heard, there's some awsome stuff comming up (Tanks and walking death spiders and being a strogg).

so yeah, all good. (oh and the quake II +mission packs packaged with the DVD edtion are sweet).

Edit: Wow, this hovertank bit is more then a little like The river ride in half-life 2. Heck, the gun even sounds the same :/ Fun though.

I will be purchasing this title as soon as possible, regardless of any reviews. Fear isn't far behind, then Prey. And whenever Castle Wolfenstein is released, the 360 will become part of my domain. On the contrary to public opinion, I loved rtcw, so I can't wait for another trip to the castle. For some reason, the nazi paranormal theme really intrigues me.

It's much better than Quake 2, that's for sure. It's actually managed to keep me entertained far longer than Quake 2, which was only fun for about 30 seconds, max.

The jury is still out for me. im not taking this game hook line and sinker like i did with doom3. i may have still purchased doom3 (and eventualy RoE) but not for $54.99/$34.99 respectivly. everyones first impressions were great (albiet some w/ a struggle) at first..(D3) then it went down hill from there. mainly due to the mp side of it, but a lot was also for the replay value of the sp (the too "linear" argument there..) the verdict should be out by late november, and the price should reflect the community popularity. then if it's indeed going to be a strong title i wont mind paying a little extra for it. but if it's gonna blow then ill take advantage of the $29.99 price tag that best buy/compusa will more than likely tag this game with (quake4) by the holiday's/new year.

I lost interest in doom 3 pretty fast because every single damn level was pretty much the same, nothing really changed at all. Repetitiveness I hate.

My copy may be today or tomarrow. I really want the DVD edition but I can't aford 100 bucks. And I really want to see some classic Stroggs re0done like the Tehnician or the Paracite. I was hoping that mabey they put Tank jr. in the game because I loved his design so much. Oh well, one can dream.

I tried out the FEAR demo, but didn't like it. Seems like extra hard 1-shot-dead gameplay, and to fix it they added a bullet time button.

Quake 4's singleplayer is very, very different from DOOM 3. It plays, I suppose, like a faster paced version of Call of Duty.

The multiplayer is extremely similar to Quake III.

Captain Red said:

I've yet to se the return of any Quake 2 monsters... I'd like to see some at lest.

Actually, they do have some Quake 2 monsters return quite early, in fact the first monster you face is just an armorless version of the enforcer from Quake/Quake II. They don't LOOK the same, but there are quite a few returns.

So like I've played 1 call of duty level, it was like a big battle is going on in a huge field, and I snuck around the sides and went right next to their frontlines, is that something one might see in Quake 4? I'm just having a hard time believing that Doom 3's engine can handle more than 3 mobs on the screen without losing 2/3s of the fps.

I've just gotten much deeper into Quake IV and started seeing ZOMBIES. The first one LOOKED like the original Quake's Zombie, but instead they barf acid and die without being gibbed.... Why bring back such an old monster and change it so much?

As a nod to the original?

Why do they have Commander Keen in Doom II but OMG, he's not blasting Yorps?

Ah man. They brought the most coolest monster from the Dark world of Quake and bastardized it....Well at least i hope its not.

I played Q4 multiplayer at digital life, and with many people it can get laggy.

Anyway I think the simplicity of Q4 is right for me. I wasn't impressed with fear...except for the end part when I got ambushed by the rox dude and I really wanted to kick his ass. :(

It runs at about the same speed as the Doom 3 expansion pack for the most part. The frame rate has been fairly stable stable, running around 50-60fps most of the time, but every once and a while I might see it jump down to 30fps, depending on the area I'm in.

EDIT: Oh, and the game seems to be getting a bit better the farther I get into it..

Captain Red said:

Yeah. Outdoor terrain and such.

Makes sence. I bet with a little tweaking of the options it could run great on my system. Since I looked up the reqierments on the net theyt are all most the same as fear. Fear runs great on my pc after I changed most of the setting.

The game is actually really good. And I especially loved the part where you...

**SPOILER ALERT **

... are turned into a Strogg. Man, that was bad ass - if not terrifying especially from the 1st person perspective. I actually got a little sick to my stomach. Awesome.

Heh. Yeah. I'm shure glad I side stepped all the press for this game. It's beem a long times since something in a game genuinly disturbed me. I don't want to be strogged.