Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Doom\II hardest maps

baronofhell said:

Confession: I have yet to beat doom2 without godmode.

Just did for the first time last night on HMP.

<3

When I played UDoom on the harder skill levels, I got problems
on E3M6 and E3M7. Not because of too many monsters, but the puzzles
hurt my brain. Actually, when I played through "Inferno" again recently, I had a few problems getting through these two.

In terms of "pure hardness":

E4M1, E4M2 and E4M6. I still have difficulties getting through these.

In Doom 2, the hardest maps that spring to mind are MAP15 and MAP29.
In the early days, MAP13, MAP19, and MAP16 proved to be the most difficult, the first two in terms of layout and the last in terms of gameplay.

I like Inferno for that reason. Puzzles. It's not just mindless killing, meaning you need to use your brain to solve a puzzle or two. Now that's quality mapping.

E1M7... Zombies everywhere! I have never died in that map, but they always nearly get me.

Those Zombies've gotten me a couple times, but nothing serious.

I just find that map damn long, but good.

Hm....I'd say it depends on what port you run the level in. If I was using the original doom2.exe as my port, then i'll have to say Level 30 because I can never shoot the rockets into that little brain-hole without getting the up down aiming from these fan-made ports. My second choice would be 29, I always run outta ammo on that map for some reason.

Interesting. I've never used actual aiming in DooM before and I can beat Sin. It just takes practice. Lots of practice.

Free Look...for sooth!

I remember the days before Free Look. Ah, how vintage.

Imagine telling kids in 20 years about good FPS games that pre-dated Free Look. It'll be funny.

Well here are the maps that are probably the hardest. They usually involve not many places to hide or lots of shooting monsters. e4m1, e4m2, e4m6, map11, map15, map17, map22, map26, map29. Nightmare has approximately the same hard maps as UV, although if you try other styles like pacifist or tyson things change a lot, although the maps listed above are on average harder on tyson.

Wait, you can complete Map29? Wow!

So, are you saying it's easier than most other maps in DOOM II?

Are we now talking about playing all the maps with pistol start or having all the weapons and ammo from previous maps?

At least it's easy with stuff. I've only tried it with "pistol" start when I've tried custom enemies, as it has so many different kinds, so it probably has the one I had modified and I was seeking.

Now I'm so tired I would probably get killed in E1M2...

Map29 is just crazy on UV, even with all the weapons.

I did find The Spirit World really easy compared to other maps, however. I got fairly far while goofing around with a Pistol start on UV or HMP. The Arch-Vile nailed me because I was low on health from going to town on 3 Pain Elementals with the Chainsaw and having little to no ammo to take him down.

I never really found any of the doom maps hard, though finding the secret on map15 isn't all that easy. Udoom I have them memorized by now.

ravage said:

I never really found any of the doom maps hard, though finding the secret on map15 isn't all that easy. Udoom I have them memorized by now.

Thats industrial zone right? I still can't figure out that goddamn level.I just ran around hitting every switch I found and jumping off of everything till I found that secret without trying.

LOL

I always thought that switch was the most obvious thing ever. It just sits there on that pillar all by itself.

Hit the switch, get on the invul pedestal, voila, secret exit open.

Recently replayed tnt, apart from being better then remembered (well most are really good), they're also though. And map 20 is so long that it becomes hard. I couldn't figure out map 31, so for me that's the hardest. For doom, it's e4m1 (with that baron secret and e4m2. Doom 2, map 29. With fast monsters on I get in endless troubles on map10. In plutonia I consider map 15? (with it chaingunners and the secret with the 2 revenants and soul sphere near the start) the hardest. Go for it (?), map 32 is the easiest.

-_DLD_- said:

Interesting. I've never used actual aiming in DooM before and I can beat Sin. It just takes practice. Lots of practice.

I agree completely! I hate watching people play with a new version where they can jump, strafe ( well...usefully) and free aim, and then tell me that they are in fact better than me. I beat all of the original doom games when they came out with out aiming...but that icon of sin is a real bitch...

ReelSplatter said:

strafe ( well...usefully)

wtf? Strafing has been there from the very start, and has always been extremely useful too.

For a first timer in doom nowadays, I would think the biggest challange would be to understand how the maps work...it's all diffrent from the heavily scripted solo games in recent years. It's a diffrent *logic* all together :) For that reason ...perhaps 11,13,15 (getting to secret level from here would be impressive) 19, 27,30.

Grazza said:

wtf? Strafing has been there from the very start, and has always been extremely useful too.

Only some of E4 is remotely difficult on UV if you're a good strafer in UDooM. Being a great strafer makes you God in UDooM, since only a platoon of Sergeants in an open area is generally threatening. E4 has lots of swarms (with really low ammo) of powerful monsters and lots of crossfires...those are some of the few instances where strafing doesn't make you God.

There is a way to beat Pharoah without a fix, just not the way it was intended. I didn't know that it was broken originally.
You get to the room with the frozen arachnotrons, and on the passage to the room with the tall stairs and big silver chair, there is a little ridge. Just strafe-jump onto the chair (takes a while in vanilla) and hit the open key as there is supposed to be a switch that opens from inside the big chair. You will hear the sound when you do and the icon door will open. Get the megasphere and the passage-way to the outside will be clear. You can then either jump in the exit or go to Carribean.

Edit: Just played to make sure; its the silver-chair on the RIGHT.

DOOM: i think they're all pretty simple..., i dont think any of those maps are really hard, possibly E3M6

DOOM II: id say map29, in nightmare of cource.