Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rancid-Radio

i'm home, sick, and bored. lets talk doom64...

well today has been a bust, woke up at 1 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. staying home from school is very boreing so i was looking for something to do when out of the corner of my eye i spotted the long forgotten doom64. i thought for a second and then decided not to play it. but after a while it was all i had left so i gave a heavy sigh and inserted it into my 64. i was surprised how fun it was. last time i remember it jsut being tedious but now i cant put it down.

so what are your thoughts about this forgotten game. it is indeed the least popular of the buch and if your anything like me, you've completely forgotten it even existed. so i'm throwing this open, just give your thoughts about this game.

Awesome maps, awesome music (second only to the PSX version), awesome graphics, extra features. The problem: TERRIBLE CONTROL! The D-Pad turns way too slow (1/2 the speed of the PSX turning), and, while analog does turn fast, it just doesn't feel right. Doom shouldn't be played analog.

Those are my thoughts.

DOOM 64 outdoes the originals in all aspects except controls, configurability and gameplay pace. The sprites are ugly, btw.

cool your jets man, its a fun game. unlike most people i like the music, grafix, and controll(once i change it). its a non-stop action thriller. my only problem is that it is soooooooooooooooo hard to see. i have to turn my television to full brightness and then put the game to full brightness to be able to see good. its allmost as bad as the gba :p

well my friend Nick got it, and as Nick is a dumbass who know's nothing about games I was prejudiced against it from the start.
I don't like Nintendo, full stop. I was always a Sega-boy back in the early wars and I'm now a Sony-boy period.
Plus they gave the Cacodemons legs, I mean, WTF was that all about?
No, burn it. Burn it now.
;)

I have never played it and I never will, it seems too awful and boring. Ofcourse we shall burn it, we shall burn it to hell, not the green one, but the red one.

WTF? Cacos with legs? That is probably the biggest mistake in the history of DOOM? Or will you share another, horrible story with me?

Down with DOOM64, down with it now!

that is probably the biggest mistake in the history of DOOM? Or will you share another, horrible story with me

well, have you seen the pain elementals? they have 2 mouths.

Doom 64 is the scariest Doom I've played so far. The atmosphere beats any game I've played. I jumped more in Doom 64's 24 levels than in Doom and Doom 2 combined. The music is awesome. And although most of the sprites suck (weapons, zombies, demons), the textures and some sprites (barons, cacodemons, arachnotrons, etc) are awesome.

Too bad the control is terrible.

And for the record, I love all Nintendo systems to date, EXCEPT N64. I can count the games I like on N64 on 1 hand. Doom 64, Zelda, Duke Nukem 64, Starfox, Bomberman 64. That's it. It's too early to have any opinions for the Gamecube. But if Rogue Leader is the best reason so far, well, that's just pathetic.

Doom 64 is good every once in a while, but it would've been even better if the controls were easier to handle and there was a multiplayer mode.

I've never played it. I sure as hell don't want a N64, and I have only one friend who has N64, but he doesn't have doom so oh well.

But after a while it was all I had left so I gave a heavy sigh and inserted it into my 64. I was surprised how fun it was. Last time I remember it just being tedious but now I cant put it down.

MUAHAHAHA. Another addict. :P

Plus they gave the Cacodemons legs, I mean, WTF was that all about?

*BUZZ* Wrong. They gave the cacos arms, not legs. Besides, it would make them look a little too freaky.

I adore Doom64. It has a really creepy atmosphere, awesome music (better than the PC, anyways), good sound, and the graphics are mind-blowing for Doom.
The only problem is, like elbryan says, the control. Analog for Doom? No.
The only other problem IMO is that it's too short.

IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT YET, DON'T DID IT!!!

Huh?

OMG!!! THEY GAVE THE CACODEMON ARMS!!!! HOW DARE THEY?!?!?!?! NOW THE GAME IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE!!!

I was surprised how fun it was. Last time I remember it just being tedious but now I cant put it down.

...?

Now are you sure you played it or are you just saying that?

Doom 64 was a really good game in my opinion. The atmosphere is the best in Doom I have seen yet, and the music/ambience was just great for it's purpose. The level design was new and very creepy in it's own way. The only bad part about this is that the game is too dark. If you don't pump up the brightness this game is almost unplayable until the later levels, and even then it is tough. The sound is decent if not good. There are 7 secret levels in the game, all very enjoyable and at times incredibly tough. Ammo and health balance is pretty good, though at times running is necessary (7 Hell Knights/Barons in a hallway too narrow to strafe in).

It seems that the biggest gripe here is with the changed look of the characters. I remember reading about this back when the game was first released, but the character appearance was changed for licensing reasons, not just for the hell of it. I'm sure that keeping things the same would have been too financially unsound to be done, or maybe Nintendo just denied the possibiity altogether, but this really isn't a reason to turn down the game.

I like the new sounds and the maps for it. I'll admit it's a little too dark. Everytime I start it up I crank up the brightness all the way up and it's acceptable to me.

The controls are slow when using the control pad, but when it comes to N64 games, they expect you to use the control stick for controling more than the "old school" control pad. I have no problem playing Doom 64 using the control stick when I have the sensitivity turned up a little less than 1/4 way.

I know there's an overwhelming amount of anti-Doom 64 people out there, including the near 98% of the people here, but I'm happy being part of the remaining 2%.

lets talk Doom 64...

/goes off for deep and meaningful conversation with DoomBoy, DoomZero, and Shotgun-Bill.

And for the record, I love all Nintendo systems to date, EXCEPT N64. I can count the games I like on N64 on 1 hand. Doom 64, Zelda, Duke Nukem 64, Starfox, Bomberman 64. That's it. It's too early to have any opinions for the Gamecube. But if Rogue Leader is the best reason so far, well, that's just pathetic.

I hear ya, SNES was quite possibly the best system ever. It had EVERYTHING and tons of hi-quality games. I'm borrowing one of my friends' N64 and played Starfox mostly. (that game kicks ass) It seems like N64 just couldn't get the liscensing this time around, so there were tons of mediocre games for it while playstation had practially everything.

I was always a Sega-boy back in the early wars and I'm now a Sony-boy period.

I seriously don't know how you could possibly side with Sega. They were some horrible, untrustworthy bastards. Remember all those expensive-ass attachments you could get? (Sega CD, whoa so much better than SNES =) We were talking about the same thing on my bus today. Genesis just couldn't match the SNES, plus SNES could play Doom. I had a genesis for a while and hated it; all the games had a strange, empty feeling i couldn't describe. Maybe this was because of the crap colour palette or tinny sound.

I'm getting too tired to write, you know what i think about Sega by now anyways...night night.

lets talk Doom 64...

/goes off for deep and meaningful conversation with DoomBoy, DoomZero, and Shotgun-Bill.

/me joins pritch

thehighesttree

I just always preferd Sega's games, besides I was around way before all the shitty tansitional Sega devices. I was a Mega Drive 1 and Master System/Gamegear boy!

I still have a Game Gear. It's sitting in my closet back home. It probably still works; that is, if the old batteries haven't corroded the hell out of its innards.

Ah, this discussion brings back memories of the old Sega v. Nintendo feud... *sniff* Memories...

yes, good memories, *sigh*, I had a game gear but it broke and Sega took the broken Game Gear away and gave me a Mega Drive 2!! For this I've always respected them and won't have a bad word said against them.
That means you, the highesttree. WTF is it with your name anyway? I mean, what possessed you to come up with that? thepooslice, now that's a username :)
Bovine-Intervention, hehehe.

Burn it.
Burn it now.

DOOM64 does not exist in my world of Doom, it just doesn't.

I have never played it and I never will, it seems too awful and boring. Ofcourse we shall burn it, we shall burn it to hell, not the green one, but the red one.

/me joins pritch

Doom 64 is a disgrace to the Doom series! 'Nuff said.

I know there's an overwhelming amount of anti-Doom 64 people out there...

'Nuff said.

great quoting, Zeratul :)

Look at it this way. If God had wanted us to play Doom 64 he wouldn't have given Romero and co. the gift to put it on pc in the first place. And he wouldn't have let ZDoom happen, which keeps it ahead of all console verisons.
And we wouldn't let Doom 3 happen. That's it.