Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

stopping hitscan monsters infighting?

is this imossible? does the deh "monsters infight" option turning off in-species infighting or all infighting completely?

if it does just turn off in-species infighting, would that really be a terribly bad thing? assuming i mix up the existing hitscan monsters some so that, you know, shotgunners, chaingunners and zombies can all be baited into taking each other out?

i'm hoping that the megawad gets some demo recording attention and so i wouldnt want to terribly spoil grazza's -fast attempts :-)

i'm devving and testing my megawad on mbf and eternity so i assume zdoom + prboom will be ok with it too, so mbf/boom tricks are fine by me.

hmm "boom guys never implimented it" so basically it does nothing, actually. bugger

guess i'l just have to design the map with a bit more cunningness so you cant jsut dive in and out quickly and let them shred each other so much

graz: you know all the wierd maps (heh) know of any that manage to set up a good arenaish ambushish scenario where the monsters dont automatically gun or rocket each other down instantly?

come to think of it if i make it so the baddies are raised and the player a little lower (e.g. 64 high ledges) then until the player gets up that high they wont be aiming across the battlefield at each other.

think i just answered my own problem

anyway it's to do with the special new monsters you get to meet in the arenas of my megawad that i've been working on for ooh, about 18 months, heh

cycloid said:
hmm "boom guys never implimented it" so basically it does nothing, actually. bugger

Boom never implemented the hack where same-race monsters will hunt each other down when provoked, just like monsters of different races do to each other. Though MBF later added a monsters option where monsters won't be provoked into killing each other, no matter what race they belong to.

So in Doom (and Chocolate Doom) you can make a wad where any monster can get pissed at any others, and in MBF (and compatibles) where the monsters will hurt each other only accidentally but won't get vengeful about it.

wait, um, what? so there IS an (MBF+) option to disable (only) same-species monster infighting?

In MBF you can make it so that, let's say, if an Imp hits a Demon with a fireball, the Demon will get hurt but will continue to seek out the Player, never the Imp. It affects all the monsters, gets rid of infighting altogether and considerably reduces damage between monsters (more so even because the monsters will try to not hurt other monsters.)

In your scenario you seem to want to apply this to a single species though, but that's not really possible. You might want to go with your map-based idea instead.

Enjay did it in Marine Assault via the DeHackEd patch.

Misc 0
Monsters Ignore Each Other = 1
However, I don't know which ports support this. I know ZDoom (and all derivatives) does (else Marine Assaults marines would attack each other) but that's it.

Normally, monsters cannot be damaged by projectiles fired by others of their same race (eg. imp fireballs do not harm imps). If you use the "Monster infighting" dehacked option, it changes the behavior so that they ARE harmed by projectiles fired from others of their same race.

If the hitscan monsters don't infight, they should also check they don't shoot their fellow hitscan team members and if none of the monsters don't infight, they should also check where they're aiming at that fireball. So the imps covering behind the baron don't burn his ass while thinking they're shooting the player with their fire.

In MBF when "no infighting" is enabled the monsters do indeed try to take precautions to not hurt their buddies, considering them "friends".

me hmmz... i'll probably experiment further with this but have decided to ditch the map i was working on anyway as it was too cramped, so i'm free to start over with a bit of a less infighting friendly one :-)

TheDarkArchon said:

Enjay did it in Marine Assault ...However, I don't know which ports support this. I know ZDoom (and all derivatives) does (else Marine Assaults marines would attack each other) but that's it.

Pretty sure it is just a Zdoom (+derivatives) option.