Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom: The Movie: The Review

Well, there's no Hell, so this movie fails.

I wonder what Lord of the Rings would have been like without the One Ring?

or Star Wars without Jedi?

what an amazing concept!

I too just saw the movie. I actually liked it, pretty suspensful at the beginning. But the movie would've been ten times better if these were nightmarish creatures rather than mutants. That mutation thing just killed it for me. I just tell myself that they were mutated into demons, that helps. And yes, the pinky scene was awesome!!! Baron really beat the shit out of em though! lol

I'll post my review.

I saw "Doom" on October 21, 2005. That was its opening day.

I thought parts of the movie were kinda boring like when they were just walking around searching and not finding anything. The parts with the monsters were cool but there should have been more of them. The monsters actully looked better than in the previews and the photos. Anyway,the FPS sequence was one of the coolest scenes (If not the best) I've ever seen in a movie. My favorite part of that had to be when the main character John Grimm (aka Reaper) fought the mutated form of Pinky, which is as Doom players know as the Pinky Demon. I also liked the final battle between Reaper and Sarge. It was one of the best fights I've seen. The story itself was decent. I didn't care about that too much though but "Doom" isn't really about story so it really doesn't matter. The character development isn't done too well. I don't really care about that either but I'm just letting you know. The acting was ... well, I've seen better but Doom's was convincing. I din't really like the fact that the script contained so much cursing. It should have contained less of that and more of action and violence. Oh well, its their fault. The special effects were cool like the BFG blast and that monster (Baron I think) being caught on fire. And finally, I thought the music was cool. I'm even concidering getting the soundtrack. Overall, this an alright movie. I might have to see it again to get a final verdict. I hope they do a sequel and make it better. I kinda figured this would not be better than the best video game movie "Mortal Kombat". I don't think any V.G. movie will be better than MK. End of reivew.

Just saw it, was satisfied. Is it what I really wanted, not really. However, it is way better than I expected and that counts for something

Just came back. I thought it wasn't that bad. I had fun watching it. It didn't feel like Doom though. All the monsters and stuff are there but it doesn't feel like Doom. But no complaining here. I thought it was a fun movie.

It doesn't feel like doom because of the fuckin mutation thingy, if these were in fact demons from hell, or at least monsters of unknown origin it would've been so much better. On top of that, the movie felt like it was thrown together at the last second.

Nazxul said:

Oh, lighten up would you? The purpose of films are to entertain. If "big tits, guns, and hi-speed chases" do it for most people then these people are being entertained and the movies are achieving what they were only ever made to do in the first place - entertain people.

And there is absolutely no reason to bring this kind of thing into a conversation about movies. That's just ridiculous.

lol, do you like:

Josie and The Pussycats,
ninja turtles,
and/or BATMAn and RObin???

just wondering....
MonKey EnterTainment.

Face it, fanboys, the movie sucks. I'm all for sci-fi movies in the spirit of "aliens", which is one of the most influential movies I've ever seen, but at the same time I expect a decent movie - and I've seen too many bad movies to take any interest in this one.

One more thing... I want to make it absolutely clear. In my opinion, the fps sequence and the pinky fight kicked major ass!!! Those ten minutes were easily the best of the film. Once again, imo.

jetflock said:

lol, do you like:

Josie and The Pussycats,
ninja turtles,
and/or BATMAn and RObin???

just wondering....
MonKey EnterTainment.

Not particularly, but there are people that do. I recognise that there are different types of movies made for different audiences with different interests. Hence, I do not bag the absolute fucking shit out of something, like some people do, just because it doesn't appeal to my particular interests. ;)

Actually, I liked Ninja Turtles... :P

I saw it, and enjoyed it, but it's true that it didn't really feel like doom.
But I'm not going to get pissed off about it not being extremely faithful to the games because really, what do you expect?

It was a fun movie, and was in a certain style I didn't really expect. Of course there were elements of being an Alien clone, but otherwise it was pretty good. Of course, this opinion is formulated on going into the movie knowing that it wouldn't be more than a brainless action movie.
The first person part was sweet, but it would have rocked if he used a wider selection of weapons.
Also, the end fight scene, those who have seen the movie know what I'm talking about, was a bit ridiculous... a bit too much crouching tiger style...

I might watch the doom movie today. ill leave what i think once i get back if i do watch it today. as i said before though i think overall if you take all the aspects of the movie together and come up with a rating for it it will probably be a 3 out of 5 star movie. but then again if you take out some aspects like the story line... then it would probably rate higher like 4 out of 5 instead etc. since that obviously was never in depth but the action aspect seems impressive. catch my drift here?

Ok I saw it and...this movie has reached a NEW DEGREE OF SUCKINESS.

Ok the FPS part was good, but it could have been better than a majority of idiot zombies! There weren't even fireballs.

Oh and did anybody notice that one of the docter's names is Carmack?

Nick Perrin said:

... a bit too much crouching tiger style...

Haha for fuckckckckck sake. They did that to Alien VS Predator too. I couldn't believe it, that the monsters were actually ACROBATIC, and slamming eachother in various places, instead of trying to RIP AND TEAR eachothers bodies up. What the damn :-( That's one movie i truly hate. Or should I say the people behind it.

Well this alone makes me very disappointed...

I JUST SAW A PRESS CONFERENCE WITH TED HOLLENSHEAD, THE ROCK, KARL URBAN AND THE SCRIPT WRITER DISCUSSING THE DOOM MOVIE.
I don't know if anyone else has seen this, The Rock says a few times "This movie is kickass. I saw it just a week ago, and it rocks. You're going to love it." And everyone up there was under the impression that the movie was very faithful to the game, or at least the feel of the game.
I got it from a torrent site, I won't put up links just to stay safe with the admins here... so search it up yourselves...

And yes, I've seen the movie. Read my post above!

gemini09 said:

Well this alone makes me very disappointed...

Have you seen the movie yet? If not, to reassure you, it's only one part that's like that in the whole movie, the rest is a lot of shooting and ripping/tearing.

BlackFish said:

Ok I saw it and...this movie has reached a NEW DEGREE OF SUCKINESS.

Ok the FPS part was good, but it could have been better than a majority of idiot zombies! There weren't even fireballs.

Oh and did anybody notice that one of the docter's names is Carmack?

Even more subtle was a doctor Willits

I can't believe almost all of you hated the movie so much. I thought it was a great movie. Who cares if it is not exactly like the game the whole way through, if you want to see that, just go and play the game.

doom3 said:

I can't believe almost all of you hated the movie so much. I thought it was a great movie. Who cares if it is not exactly like the game the whole way through, if you want to see that, just go and play the game.

What do you mean you can't believe it? Of course people hate it this much (I am not one of them though,read my review). It was expected that the huge fans of the games would have this attitude towards it. It's always been that way... But yes, you have to understand that it's Hollywood, and even though for a while before the movie came out it sounded like it was going to be a very faithful and awesome movie, it didn't end up that way.

I still enjoyed it, but not really because of the games. I went to see the movie because of the game, (otherwise I would probably never go see it, expecting it to be a shitty action movie) but I left liking the movie because it was fun. Not because it was faithful to the game. Not like sin city fans who saw that movie and were amazed at its faithfulness to the original.

In the fps sequence towards the end, a hellknight(or baron) is taken out this way, I think. I remember something being shot behind him, and as a result he was set on fire. Oh yeah, one more thing they took straight from doom 3. When the marines are walking around the dark corridors looking for imps, you could hear the hissing noise they made in doom 3. Straight from the game, sounds exactly the same. That was pretty cool, although the only imp that actually looked like the doom 3 ones was the one in the sewers.

Oh, hot off the press!! I found a doom review that isn't negative, over at gamespy.com

I've got to say, I came out of the theatre with mixed feelings. It was an enjoyable movie, but the absence of some of the things that made Doom Doom was kind of saddening. It was cool how the first part had good Doom 3 type scares, interesting how the infecton affected people depending on ther soul, but it would have been nice to have more than that one FPS sequence, and a trip into Hell. Overall, a damn fun movie to watch.