Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Quake 4 - Fun!!

Captain Red said:

Yeah. Outdoor terrain and such.

I've actually had more indoor areas lag for me than the outdoor ones, heh.

Captain Red said:

Heh. Yeah. I'm shure glad I side stepped all the press for this game. It's beem a long times since something in a game genuinly disturbed me. I don't want to be strogged.

I actually had nightmare hidings in a Strogg Possessing camp around Quake 2's time. I can't wait to pick up my copy today!

I also rememebe that asshole Todd Hollenshead ruining the plot twist for me.

The Quake 4 trailer pretty much spoiled the whole "becoming a Strogg" thing for me.. but it was still pretty cool/disturbing/what have you upon reaching that point in the game.

I've just been stroggified. How dare they?
So far:

Pros

• Great feel to the weapons and monsters
  • Overall fun to play
  • Sounds are nice
  • Music
  • Good twist with the stroggification
Cons
  • Graphics are nowhere near as good as in Doom3
  • They are not really using the GUI system
  • Bad specular maps and normal maps
  • The vehicles are as dumb and forced as always (but the controls are good)
  • Undetailed story
  • Almost no movable objects
It's a good game, but it misuses the Doom3 engine.

Just played it. Its pretty good. Sounds are not as good as Quake 2's Strogg chatter. I think I prefer Quake 2's Strogg design as well. But this game gets my vote as fav of the year. I just feel the maps do not have as much as that primitive tech, neo Nazi atmosphere I loved from the original.

Thats hoe I alwayd looked at it. Very simple level design with alot of things looking cybernetic and primitive. Like the Strogg Palace. And I always loved the lightning bolt banners every where. I just don't get the feel on Quake 4's maps.

Q4's Nailgun sucks though :( It doesn't pin people up against walls and you don't see no nails :( Basically it's a semi-automatic armor peircing rifle. I actually think that's it's graphics are much better than Doom 3, they aren't as damn grey. I just finished it and I'd change my rating to about an 8, it's a little too short though :( At least it gets better towards the end. *All the other Quake games other than the 3rd took me over a month, this one took me about 2 days* but it's fun.

the strogg have to be my favorite video game enemies ever. btw, does this game take time in the same time as quake 2 since the lt says in the beginning that good news, some guy has got behind enemy lines and killed makron...

niguel said:

btw, does this game take time in the same time as quake 2 since the lt says in the beginning that good news, some guy has got behind enemy lines and killed makron...

It starts just as Quake 2 ends.

Are there the Strogg Tanks? ALl I saw were the Gladiators, Gunners, Bezerkers, and various drones and such

I WIN!! Take that [no spoilers]! thought you could protect the [no spoilers] from me huh? Well too bad. That's what you got for [no spoilers] me. The [no spoilers] at the end was pretty easy. all I had to do was shoot [no spoilers] till [no spoilers] then I shoot [no spoilers]. Then the [no spoilers] and I shoot the [no spoilers] bringing the [no spoilers] until [no spoilers] which then [no spoilers] and I win.

Easy as pie.

One of the better Raven games i've played in a while. Not as good as doom 3 but better then ROE.

Just beat it. Here's my pros/cons:

Pros:
- Good weapons
- Overall good gameplay
- A couple of pretty freaky/disturbing parts

Cons:
- Vehicular combat sucks
- Some slight flaws in the level design (mostly early on in the game)
- A couple of pretty freaky/disturbing parts
- Generic, crappy music (sounds like the kind of music you see in movies)
- Stupid ending
- Lousy final boss

Just because the cons outweigh the pros does not mean I don't like it. Afterall, good weapons/gameplay are probably the two most important things to me.

Ayu said:

Q4's Nailgun sucks though :( It doesn't pin people up against walls and you don't see no nails :( Basically it's a semi-automatic armor peircing rifle.

So what your saying is that its the a redhashed Quake 1 nail gun?

I just picked it up today and have only played it a bit tonight. Thus, I've only gone up to the part where I leave the Hannibal. But so far, here are my opinons:

Pros:
-The weapon sounds are a lot better than Doom3's weapon sounds. I'm in total love with that machine gun
-Graphics aren't too bad. I say Doom3's are better still, but Quake4 seems to have more detailed textures. Just the geometry isn't as cool
-Fairly intense combat that feels like Call of Duty imo (I liked CoD quite a bit)
-Cool visual designs and style, which feels like it should- Stroggish
-The opening was pretty sweet, especially the first image
-Pretty gory. To me, games need to be more gory these days.
-Quake3-style Deathmatch
-Voice acting doesn't seem half bad
-Music isn't that bad...but...

Cons:
-NO METAL MUSIC. I repeat, NO METAL MUSIC.
-I actually dislike having a flashlight and weapon up at the same time
-No sprinting
-You get to see the character you play as

Overall...I love this game. Quite fun to play.

I agree. I really wish Quake 4 had the awesome soundtrack that it's prequel did. I, to this day still have that soundtrack and ported quadmachine to my mobile phone. Quake 4's gameplay did lend itself to the music as well, yet all we got was Vrenna's mechanical thing in the credits. I mean I liked that track but come on it sounded similar to the one he did for doom3.

My biggest gripe with quake 4 though was the story didn't go anywhere. See Quake 2 set the background story in it's manual and then moved you through each objective for little reward aside from occasional audio snippets that played in the background. Quake 4 did the same but gave you the background ingame and nothing of interest in the manual. I do like the game, don't get me wrong but I'm a big fan of plots these days, especially just days after completing FEAR.

They could of done something with the stroggification, and they really could of gone further with the teammates. Seriously. I'd be lying if I expected a complex plot from an ID game but it would of been nice.

I did like the game though and it imho does look gorgeous, I was running it on low detail and despite low quality texturing because of it, still looked awesome. I will eventually revisit the game one day on ultra and check it out the eyecandy. I'm betting I won't be dissapointed.

Just beat Q4 yesterday

*minor spoilers*
It is one of the funnest games I've ever played.
The story is developed (from QII) but not a real major factor in the game so Half-Life 2 has better story if you're looking for that. The part about becoming a Strogg is probably the most memorable experience you'll have from this game.
No, the real reason this game rocks is because of the graphics and the weapons, even if it is not revolutionary. There are a lot of areas that look like DooM3 (tech-bases and dark areas) but there are many more levels that are awesome and is unique to Quake (like the human processing levels). If you look around, the staggering amount of detail in the game is overwhelming;the strogg alphabet its little things like this that kept me playing the game
The weapons actually are nothing special in theory, you got your shotgun, machine gun, rocket launcher, railgun,etc. but once you actually use these weapons, it feels great, especially with high quality bass (??!!). I like how they added reloading and mods in SP, gives it a different feel.
The vehicles are interesting, although scarce-the hovertank that has the mobility of Halo's ghost-just plain fun.
Most of the people who talk about the squad-based gameplay has played a good portion of the game, but you will find that it isn't the heart of the game as many solo missions like QII make up the latter of the game.
Just feels frickin fun, even though it isn't complex like HL2 or FEAR or any game with more realism; ignorance is bliss i guess.
Haven't played much MP, but its an updated QIII, which can be a good or bad thing.
The end is dissapointing, but it was fun until the last strogg.

Ayu, did you not notice that the nailgun was just a modified D3 chaingun?

DooMtheThird said:

The story is developed (from QII) but not a real major factor in the game so Half-Life 2 has better story if you're looking for that.

Half-Life 2 has a story?
Anyway. Yeah, the story in Quake4 is really lacking detail. There is practically nothing interesting to catch that isn't told to you in cutscenes.

Shaviro said:

Half-Life 2 has a story?

Half-Life2 had the start of a story. I bet when Valve quits making add-ons for it you will have a full story.

Zeg-Vok said:

Are there the Strogg Tanks? ALl I saw were the Gladiators, Gunners, Bezerkers, and various drones and such

Yes. It also has the technicians and repair bots. I just wish it had the brains (beta) those things still creep me out

Yeah, what he said. I run doom3 on high quality, res 1024, two times antialiasing, and roe the same with no performance issues(most of the time) So quake 4 should be the same right?

Quake 4 actualy looks pretty interesting to me, just because I loved Quake 2 so much.