Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Shadow of The Colossus

So... is anyone playing this game?

I got it two days ago, and played it for about 45 minutes. Last night, I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO finish it. I ended up going to bed at 5AM. Yeah, the game's that good.

The enemies in this game have to be seen to be believed. Each of the fights either have this roller-coaster ride or an ominous who's-hunting-who atmosphere. I haven't had this vertigo-like feeling since I first jumped off the Sunspire in Unreal.

There are some great detail touches, too. You'll see the hero get weathered from battle as the game progresses. Muddy hair, blood-stained tattered clothing, and so on. Particle and sprite effects are as realistic as they get, in my opinion. You can tell everything was meticulously detailed. And let's not forget the fact that you can run around and fully explore a world that was mostly created for just that.

The story itself is sparse, but what is there comes together perfectly. The ending is fantastically appropriate, but I'm sure there are people who won't be satisfied by it, probably because they're used to spoon-fed plots.

Altogether, this is an amazing game, and I imagine I'll be playing it dozens of times over. Anyone else?

In my opinion, SoTC contributes the mythology and themes in Ico, making it a spiritual kind of prequel.

But no, you don't necessarily have to play one game to understand what's going on in the other. Both games kind of force you to take everything at face value, so you dissect everything after you've shut the PS2 off.

Given how paranoid I've been this year gamewise (I've been stingy with my cash, and have NEVER bought a non-Nintendo game system in my life), I want this game but question whether it and the PS2 would be worth the money. :(

You need a PS2, too?
You know if you bought one now, you'd have a whole slew of fantastic $20 PS2 games and $5 PS1 games to choose from. Plus the system itself is what, $150? I'm sure there are used systems for under $100. Short version: if you have disposable income, you have no excuse not to buy current-gen at this point in time.

I'd have to have a disagreement there. I bought my PS2 used two years ago for 120 bucks, and I think it was one of the biggest wastes of money in my life. I liked the new contra, and maximo. Those were the only games I really liked for it. Everything else was mediocre or I could find on another console. I really can't recommend a ps2 to anyone. Out of all my current gen systems, I've gotten far more life out of my gamecube than any other, the x-box comes next. I really wouldn't say any game I've played or seen on the ps2 is worth buying a new system for.

Numbermind said:

You need a PS2, too?
You know if you bought one now, you'd have a whole slew of fantastic $20 PS2 games and $5 PS1 games to choose from. Plus the system itself is what, $150? I'm sure there are used systems for under $100. Short version: if you have disposable income, you have no excuse not to buy current-gen at this point in time.

How about the excuse of wanting to buy a bunch of other things

I was, and am, very interested in SotC, but from what I can tell, there'd be minimal replay value. So I guess I'll rent it.

I saw a gameplay video of this (one entire fight) and I'd love to play it. Pity it's console only. :/

Job said:

I was, and am, very interested in SotC, but from what I can tell, there'd be minimal replay value. So I guess I'll rent it.

There's a hard mode and time attack mode, where you earn... things... to help you explore. But I've said too much already.