Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

Exactly how fast are fast monsters?

The DOOM Wiki says Demons are two times faster, Imp fireballs are 50% faster, and Caco and Baron fireballs are 33% faster.

Since the speed of Imp, Caco and Baron fireballs are 10, 10 and 15 respectively, the -fast parameter should make them 15, 13 and 20.
I found this to be incorrect, because the DOOMguy is able to outrun fireballs with speed 13 or 15, while it is actually impossible to outrun -fast missiles.

So my question is: exactly how fast are the various fireballs with the -fast parameter?

Demons gets 1 tic for each running frame, 4 tics for each attack frame, 2 tics for each pain frame. Imp, Baron and Cacodemon fireballs all get to speed 20.

About speed...

Some time ago, I played Doom with -fast parameter. I saved a game, died & loaded the game. Then, a demon gets crazy: it moves so fast that you can't see it. Somehow loading the savegame caused the demon speed increase rapidly. I made a test wad including cyberdemon and a demon. I made a savegame and loaded it a couple of times (with "fast monsters" on). Then I made the cyberdemon hit the demon with a rocket. The result: the player & cyberdemon die instantly.

Is this a known phenomenon?
Exactly how fast are these "super fast" monsters?

What exe (and which version of it) were you using?

Some ports and the original exes have had some issues with -fast and saves, but I thought the problem was more that they forgot the skill level, rather than what you describe.

In vanilla Doom 2 v1.9 it:

a) forgets about -fast, Edit: if you start the game without -fast, even if the save is from a -fast game.

b) crashes the game when you wake up a demon/spectre (like in map03). Edit: after further testing, this happens if you start the game with -fast, load a saved game and encounter a demon/spectre.

In my opinion, this is the 2nd craziest bug in Doom. Those super fast demons come from hell, that's for sure.

Edit: As far as I can tell, the game crashes only if the super fast demon/spectre does not have direct access to the player.
Edit: Oh, I just remembered that I once managed to pause when a super fast demon was on the run. Only it's legs were visible! :)

Belial said:

b) crashes the game when you wake up a demon/spectre (like in map03). Edit: after further testing, this happens if you start the game with -fast, load a saved game and encounter a demon/spectre.

This happens also if you set all of the Demon's walking frames' durations to 1 and play a fast game. Normally, the value of 2 is halved; the game crashes because it cannot handle durations of 1/2.

I guess saving a game halves the durations before the -fast parameter and when you load it again with -fast the game crashes due to values of less than 1.

See this for information on running speeds.

But note that running/walking is really an acceleration, so the speeds given here are actually the terminal velocities generated by this acceleration taking into account the friction the player encounters in-game.