Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DarkknightXC

EDGE Stability

Build A seems to run fine. But after trying out all three builds and my computer dying a horrible death about 4 times i think my pc is giving up as it is resetting itself for no reason o_O. Anyways now i can actually play cold hard cash. Thanks EDGE team!

[EDIT] When playing chc with doom.wad today it decided to freeze up again. This was with the same build which sorta worked yesterday.

B + C definitely don't work, but A is fine as far as i can tell. I'll have to test some more methinks.

Joe said:

B + C definitely don't work, but A is fine as far as i can tell. I'll have to test some more methinks.

When you say "don't work". Are we talking about freezing up ("hang-alive") or quitting unexpectedly ("crash-to-desktop")?

B and C don't work as in freezing up.

Update:
When playing ww-cash with doom.wad i got a crash to desktop with the error "mus_songplayer : unhandled mus event 5". I'll send the debug over to lobo but that's probably all you'll get from it. Build A seems to work fine, with doom 2 at least, and i've played as far in as i can without getting mind numbingly bored (map03) and it hasn't frozen. So the good news is this error may be just doom 1 specific :p

Joe, when you say your PC is resetting itself for no reason, do you mean when you're NOT playing EDGE it dies too?

Lobo said:

Joe, when you say your PC is resetting itself for no reason, do you mean when you're NOT playing EDGE it dies too?

Well it was, it seems to have sorted itself out after i cleaned the innards of my pc.

I should really have kept you guys updated, heh.

Joe said:

When playing ww-cash with doom.wad i got a crash to desktop with the error "mus_songplayer : unhandled mus event 5".

This sounds like Edge trying to play a MIDI file as MUS. I checked ww-cash, no music in there, and doom.wad has no midi music, were there any other wads being used at the time?

Ajapted said:

This sounds like Edge trying to play a MIDI file as MUS. I checked ww-cash, no music in there, and doom.wad has no midi music, were there any other wads being used at the time?

Nope, definitely not. Could EDGE trying to play midi music that isn't there be the problem do you think?

Joe said:

Nope, definitely not. Could EDGE trying to play midi music that isn't there be the problem do you think?

Having looked the debug output, the MUS error occured after an exception error was thrown. The ww-cash / doom 1 combination seems to be the one worth putting through the debugger.

This error may have been a fluke. There is a race condition in I_MUSStop: in between the song data being deleted and the pointer set to NULL it's possible for I_MUSTicker to be called and read some bad data.

That doesn't necessarily explain what threw the exception. I suggest add a catch for std::bad_alloc into e_main, maybe some other standard ones too (bad_exception, bad_cast, logic_error, runtime_error).

Ajapted said:

This error may have been a fluke. There is a race condition in I_MUSStop: in between the song data being deleted and the pointer set to NULL it's possible for I_MUSTicker to be called and read some bad data.

That doesn't necessarily explain what threw the exception. I suggest add a catch for std::bad_alloc into e_main, maybe some other standard ones too (bad_exception, bad_cast, logic_error, runtime_error).

Agreed. Best to fix the bug in I_MUSStop and then handle the standard exceptions.

Suggest to Joe that he disables music with '-nomusic'.

DarkknightXC said:

Best to fix the bug in I_MUSStop and then handle the standard exceptions.

Ok. I've updated I_MUSStop. If it was a race condition that caused Joe's error (i.e. it was not repeatable), we may never be sure it's fixed as the likelyhood of the interrupt occuring at exactly the right moment is extremely small.