Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Entropy

UNKNAO sprite

There is an exclamation sprite which appears in a few wads.
Eternity plays these wads just fine except that it is annoying to keep seeing this sign.
Is this sprite for editing purposes?
If i removed it using Wintex...would it disable anything in eternity?

UNKN is used by the required EDF thingtype named Unknown, which is used as a safety fallback anytime something tries to use an invalid thingtype. If you remove the sprite, you will instead see warning messages that say "invalid sprite UNKN"; I wouldn't consider that an improvement really.

I just put NOSECTOR in ThingUnknown flag properties instead of NOBLOCKMAP and that worked just fine. Thanks for the steering me in the right direction.

That could be thing #32000 which is internally used by DoomBuilder. This thing should be ignored when loading the things. Unfortunately some maps use it in a way that it becomes visible in the game.

The maps in Caverns of darkness cause this sprite to appear and it seems Eternity is the only port that can deal with it.
This is the first time i was able to really enjoy CoD without seeing this thing on certain maps.
By the way Graf Zahl...i have used your CoD patch and enjoyed it, but that sprite does appear in certain places.

Entropy said:

By the way Graf Zahl...i have used your CoD patch and enjoyed it, but that sprite does appear in certain places.

Where? AFAIK I defined all new items in the accompanying cod-zd.wad. You didn't forget to load that, did you?

I thought that cod-zd.wad was loaded when the executable was started....i might have goofed! I will put CoD on my machine and try your patch again and let you know.

Edit: Just wanting to apologize ... your Caverns of Darkness patch works perfectly!
It does not work with Zdoom version 97...so anybody wishing to use it must keep a copy of 96 on hand.
Zdoom changes so much that i have to keep older versions just to play stuff done for zdoom years ago.

You need to use the included EXE, .96x or GZDoom. The patch needs extensions not present in ZDoom 2.0.96 and 2.0.97.