Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

Scariest maps?

18. The Terraformer just scared me. The whole darkness ambiance was just crazy. I wasn't scared so much I made bigouch, but I was always jumpy while playing the game.

Earth's dark underground areas, especially map 3

The light level is zero, there's a confusing multi-level maze layout which does not get mapped, the monsters are randomised so you don't know if you're about to meet an imp or an archvile, and there's all these monster teleport lines so you can't ever assume the area you've just been through is now secured!

Mind you I find any area that isn't mapped to be creepy. For example, that big maze with the inescapable pits on Hell Revealed 29. Although that's pretty easy if you can see your coordinates.

Scariest for me (when I was real young) was Ultimate Doom E2M4. I was afraid of the Baron of Hell in one of the rooms and the level was dark and spooky back in the day.

Ultraviolet said:

What ever happened to that guy? I still have his mom!

Meh, that prissy bastard only complained that noone played his stupid maps. He left a few years ago, TBH I hope he's dead.

Claustrophobia scared me a bit on map 01 and map 02. The hell maps were heroic-slugation, but not scary imo.

CAH also scared me ofcourse, especially the final map. Excellent wad it is.

Hey... Circus666.wad is not scary, it's just a brainfucker, to which epilepsy warnings do not apply. Man this WAD had nearly blown my head, and that music! Argh!

I'm currently working on a horror-themed map. I can't assure you it'll be scary (as Kristus said: Either you get scared, or you don't.), but it'll have deeper atmosphere than most of the maps here...

...Plus a lot of GZDoom features.

kristus said:

TBH I hope he's dead.

Sorry, he resurrected to update that PC he made for Legacy. Nitwit or something like that. He hasn't said anything, OTOH.

i think the music out of central processing in final doom is very very different from the rest of doom it makes it more of an exploration level and its strange

Most maps on the psx version of doom where pretty scary, but thats because the music sounded so damn spooky.
Play that psx doom in an dark room and turn the volume way up, thats what I found scary.

Aliens TC and Asylum of the wretched are both highly atmospheric and downright scary at certain points.

Take it slow and play them in the dark. And turn off music for Aliens.

Where can I get the Ultimate Doom version of Aliens TC? I looked in the archives and the times I've tried to find it on the internet it hasn't quite downloaded right for me.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure why Justin didn't change the music a bit. The more gloomy DOOM tracks (some of which are already in E2) fit Aliens well and should have been sorted accoring to the maps' lighting, play style and theme. By the way, d_e2m6 is a section of a track from the Aliens score. I would have changed d_e2m1, and d_e2m9 to completely different tunes, though, and perhaps also d_e2m4 and d_e2m8. And then d_e1m8 and probably d_e1m6 wouldn't have been out of place somewhere.

I remember that I was amazed by the lightning and scary atmosphere of Map32 from Hellcore. I was slowly slowly exploring the place, going up the stairs when the music faded out. I thought "where the hell is the music,. oh oh, I expect something. I don't like this! I really don't like this!!!". And I was wearing headphones during that gross sound,. made me jump like hell from my chair!!!

Other than that,. Map30 from Doom2. Especially because of that really strange sound/music it has and the room it starts, the big goat texture and then the Romero voice and head. I was afraid to play that level alone at night when I was younger :/

Circus666 must be my third choice. The other mentioned WADs seem interesting. I haven't played many of them. Gotta check them..

myk said:

I don't think so, but I'm not sure why Justin didn't change the music a bit. The more gloomy DOOM tracks (some of which are already in E2) fit Aliens well and should have been sorted accoring to the maps' lighting, play style and theme. By the way, d_e2m6 is a section of a track from the Aliens score. I would have changed d_e2m1, and d_e2m9 to completely different tunes, though, and perhaps also d_e2m4 and d_e2m8. And then d_e1m8 and probably d_e1m6 wouldn't have been out of place somewhere.

yes, but now it's like it is, and Big gun by AC/DC really ruins it for me. :p

If you want a scary map, wait till Death Tormention 3 comes out. E4M8 will give you Heart attacks.