Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KabuKi

Help, I think I'm stupid

Ok Doom gurus,

Question for you. I am trying to run DOOM II in VGA mode 320x200, however it does not seem to work. Being naive, and since both Doom and Quake support this mode, I thought this was the default mode that DOOM II ran in. Am I wrong? Is there some way to make it run in this mode?

If you are wondering, I am putting DOOM II on an 'arcade at home' machine. Thats right, Doom II with a joystick and 8 buttons. Already got Quake and Duke going, but I really need some Doom II on this box!

If it helps, I'm not opposed to using any frontends if they are DOS based. I just REALLY thought the game defaulted to 320x200, and I can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks,
-KabuKi

I just REALLY thought the game defaulted to 320x200, and I can't seem to figure this out.

Wait, are you saying it runs in some other mode or it doesn't run at all?

It doesn't run, it hangs when tryig to initialize the video.

Note that it DOES run on the PC its on when connected to a standard monitor...

-KabuKi

there was something about ancient versions of ZDoom not supporting 320x200
Otherwise if you're using Doom 95 laucher you could change it in advanced...

Well, it DOES help if you use a monitor you know.

You're using a TV for the arcade machine?

Does it work on 320x200 for other games?

maybe it's just cos it's 1.25am but I can't get what the fuck it is you've set up here.
Describe it IN DETAIL.

Sorry pritch.

I'm using ArcadeOS to select the DOOM2.exe and run it on a 20" television screen. MAME, Genesis, Nintendo, Quake, even Duke3d all work on said machine, and also when I have the 'alternate' monitor hooked up. Doom 2 is the only game that locks, specifically about the 3rd line in, at the V_INIT stage.

That's it, fuck it all to hell I'm going to bed.

Sorry Kabuki, I'll think about it when I'm feeling human again.

Goodnight all, Lut and Zaldron: behave.

Well, thats a problem alright. I don't think there are any critical changes on the renderer of all the DOS-based source ports. They'll probably lock up just like doom2.exe

(I'm a very observing type of person)

THERE IS NOW! MUAHAHA!

WTF is with that? Why are there now 3 people with fukked avatars? Does this mean that Zaldron's godly avatar is deleted, or did he switch to another one?

Well Guys,

I messed with it all night. The problem is the text loader before the game runs actually displays in 640x480, and when it tries to initialize the video it locks. I can't force it past all that loading screen no matter what command line options I try, so I'm kind of at a loss, because I KNOW people do this, and hell QUAKE, made after DOOM, works.

If anyone knows how to set up an arcadeOS app file ot handle Doom II properly, please, let me know. For now I will resign myself to Duke....sniff...

-KabuKi
kabukikl@netzero.net

Kabuki: This may sound silly, but try some of the various DOS source ports of Doom that are out there.

It's the only thing I can think of.

Jayextee,

I was thinking that. For now I have been tweaking Quake and Duke on the thing, in addition to adding many other games fo rhte consoles. But I really want to play some of my old custom WADs I saved!

All I really have to do is get past that 640x480 text load screen. the GAME runs in 320x200, but that load screen does not.

If I figure it out, I will reply here for future fools like me!

-KabuKi

Try boom kabuki. It's more stable, handles levels better, and has a few features which are nicer than standard doom. What it doesn't do is change the gameplay. It is dos based.