Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindless Rambler

Doom II arcade game?

I saw this in the movie Grosse Point Blank. in a scene where two hitmen are having a shootout in a convienience store you see the clerk playing a Doom II arcade game on the Entryway, Dead simple, and Icon of Sin levels. Does such a machine exist? I cannot find it on any doom faqs that have a listing of all the systems its on.

After reading up on it, found out it was custom built. I don't even see how Doom would work as a real arcade game. No lives, no score, and not to mention it's so easy on certain skill levels, that you could play the whole game through on 25/50 cents :P (assuming you get to play until you die)

I bet it would be possible to make an arcade version of doom. Make sure the difficulty setting is always set to ultra violence and give the player 3 lives or something like that. You could also probably work out a score based on how many enemies you killed, secrets found, and items picked up. Or just score people on how many levels you finish.

-Legend

I remember reading in a magazine when Doom was at it's height that an Arcade version was proposed. Some sort of timer was involved. Game Over being when either the player died or the game timed out.

Don't forget that at least one of the pre-release versions of Doom had lives and a points system very similar to that of Wolfenstein. There have also been a few Zdoom scripted mods which implement something similar.

I remember back when I was 5 and my family and I were traveling down to Florida, we had to stop at a hotel in North Carolina or South, cant really remember. I am 100% sure though that I saw a Doom arcade game with the arcade stick buttons and everything. Looked like it was custom built though, but still pretty cool.

EarthQuake said:

After reading up on it, found out it was custom built. I don't even see how Doom would work as a real arcade game. No lives, no score, and not to mention it's so easy on certain skill levels, that you could play the whole game through on 25/50 cents :P (assuming you get to play until you die)

I guess you haven't played Action Doom...

Don't forget that at least one of the pre-release versions of Doom had lives and a points system very similar to that of Wolfenstein. There have also been a few Zdoom scripted mods which implement something similar.

Soul spheres were originally supposed to be extra lives.