Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the doom movie

sinyx said:

The Rock wasn't believable, like we expected oscar worthy material...
Hearing the Rock swear like a marine was just lame. I mean it sounded so forced and fake it wasn't even funny. You never really see any monsters from the game as they have all been changed. Of course the camera never sits still long enough to see anything so at a quick glance I guess you get look at the monsters.
The Pinky moster looked the best, and even that got a little tedious. Watch the movie and you will see what I mean.

...When they started realizing that the movie was running too long they just stop it and flash the credits. I'm not kidding, in the middle of an action scene it stops flashes to Doom guy (John A.K.A. Reaper in the movie) and the credits roll. Leaving a ton of things unexplained, for a game thats cool because we live for sequels and expansions, but for movies it really sucks.

The only thing this shares with the game is its namesake. I had fun, but only because I was with my friends who made it fun. See it because its DooM, hate it because it destroys DooM.

I think the Rock did a great job and WAS very believable. So I'm going to have to highly disagree with you here.

I don't know if you saw the same movie, but the action sequence is over and they get back on the elevator. Maybe you're imagining shit.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed all of the monsters and weaponry. I don't know, maybe you're blind.

I'm not saying the movie was a masterpiece, but you seem to be skewing things a bit.

Well, for the naysayers, I think whether we like it or not a script for a sequel is already in the works. There are even 2 indicators in the movie that there'll be one:

- The fact that we're not entirely certain if every single monster was killed by Sarge back on Earth. Maybe just a few managed to escape to the surface of Nevada shortly before the squad arrived. And also we need to see if Sam actually survived.

- When Portman was sending the transmission requesting for backup when he was on the shitter, the comm-link was still active when he was being killed, and maybe the backup arrived via the second Ark portal and returned the same way back to earth infected.

Regardless, I want to know what speculations you have for a sequel. Here's mine:

- Lots more zombies, with soldiers becoming the Commando zombies
- Fat guys turning into Mancubuses
- Babies turning into Cherubs
- The monsters taking earth technology and genetics to improve their defensive capabilities, thus making them into their video game counterparts exactly (Mancs with the guns on their arms, Arch-Viles being able to throw fire, etc.)
- A trip into the dimension where the chromosome orginated, i.e. the "Hell" many of you are looking for
- The monsters banding together to build the Cyberdemon, but that's pretty wishful thinking I'll admit.

Also keep something else in mind; it was said in the movie that if the person with the extra chromosome chooses evil, it can pretty much turn into whatever it wants.

I could sit here and say "The acting was horrible, the dialogue was some of the worst I've ever heard in a film, the Rock was completely unbelievable as a character, etc..." but I won't. Why? Because all the teens and adults who live in their grandmom's basement who post here will jump on my ass and say "Nuh-uh! It was completely believable! And the dialogue wasn't THAT bad!" Or..."It's just an action movie and it's Doom so all it needs is lotsa violence!" (because most if not none of you have ever heard of the phrase "potential of greatness," much less "attention span").

I could sit here and say "The way the writer(s) spun the story of Doom into a non-demon-oriented-PG-13-safe-with-an-R-rating-to-dupe-the-fans film was completely absurd," but I'm sure there are some of you out there who thought it was fine, right after watching a film based on scary mutated humans who were turned by an engineered chromosome. Congrats everybody, you just became Resident Evil fans.

"Yeah but I loved the first-person shots!" Go play the fucking game if you want FPS shots. If I wanted a game-playing perspective, I wouldnt have paid for a movie ticket plus large cherry coke. I will say that this COULD have been really cool, if it didn't continue for seven straight minutes. I almost feel insulted that this cheap shot was the best they could give me to make me feel like I was watching something concerning Doom.

The only thigns in the movie that looked even REMOTELY like they were straight from Doom 3 were the goddamn computer screens. this doesn't really upset me, so to speak, but I'm tired of set reports saying "Oh my, everything in the sets make me feel like I'm in the game!!!" Fuck off. The games had interesting visual promise; the movie had reflective kitchen metal walls and bad actors in modern SWAT outfits. So much for creative vision and a suitable budget.

the monsters? I can't decide if I want to laugh out loud like a viking or vomit like a pregger with morning sickness. The Pinky WAS cool until I realized that he mutated from a wheelchair-bound gimp coincidentally named "Pinky." Wow...a human turned into THAT? The things chromosomes are capable of if you only give it ten minutes...

Sarge was a joke.

But then, so was the rest of the film.

In all fairness, the only character I remotely cared about turned out to be "Reaper." I actually like the casting choice. His acting was admittedly weak at times but as far as his look? I'd have casted him, too. He just somehow LOOKS like the doomguy.

Oh, and kudos to the studio for ending a shitty film with a great NIN track.

End of Rant.

TheDarkArchon said:

Amen to that.

Makes sense if you ask me, doesn't it? The marine goes back to Hell in Doom 2, so why not go to Hell once if there's a sequel? ;)

I jut seen the DooM movie last night, and I really just dont know what to say about it. I was SO excited, and the first half hour made it seem as though there was hope that hollywood didnt butcher the spirit of DooM. Where were the cool Doom artifacts? Were were the hell scenes? Where the HELL were the monsters? No imp, no cacodemon, no baron of hell, no cyber demon. And worst of all, did anyone notice how the UAC logo was exactly the same as the AOL logo!?
The only thing that reminded me it was Doom throughout the movie was the BFG, the occasional mentioning of UAC, and the short FPS sequence. And I hate to say this, but I think the plot in the Doom book by Dafyd Hugh would have been better.. at least sticking hella lot closer to the plot..

There were imps in the movie, well at least creatures that looked like imps. Actually, only one of em looked like the doom 3 imp(the one in the sewer). And that big motherfucker was supposed to be modeled after the doom 3 hellknight. They weren't "demons" though, but the way I look at it, they were humans mutated into demons. They sure sounded like them, even though they were labeled mutated humans in the movie. By the way, there's already another existed doom movie thread, a couple of them actually!

I have been a fan of DooM since 1993. I was one of the original guys who had downloaded a copy of original shareware version (from a BBS, something many of you probably have never heard of) shortly after it's release to the world. I remember when version 1.2 was the "latest" revision. I remember distinctly a nazi swastika being in E1M4, and thought it was an awesome nod to Wolfenstein 3D.

Hell, DooM and I share the same birthday (December 10th). Suffice it to say, I'm a very long-time fan and my connection to the game runs deep.

Now, with that said, I liked the movie. Yes, I was disappointed when I learned the monsters were not literal hellspawn. But you know what? The spirit of DooM is there. It really is. I can easily tell the difference between this and a resident evil movie. If someone were to show me this movie and not tell me the title of it (and even if I had never played Doom 3) my brain would immediately say, "This is a lot like Doom. A LOT like it."

Anyone notice that one of the doors had the yellow lights around it, like a yellow key-card door from the original game? And that such a card was used to open it? Nods like that made me smile. Even Karl Urban's face reminded me a ton of Doomguy's.

I enjoyed the movie. I even and especially enjoyed the first person mode. The movie, like the game, did not take itself seriously. It was exactly the right tone of DooM.

This very long-time DooM fan was not disappointed at all. And had the biggest grin on his face after the movie ended.

It may have been my imagination, I'm not sure, but I could have sworn I heard some revamped version of some Classic Doom music in the movie. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time and I'd have to go see the movie again to make sure (which I do not plan on doing) but did anybody else think they heard this too?

Wow, after it's second week at theaters, Doom only earned another $4.1 million. It made nearly 16 mil it's first weekend. Long ways to go before this movie makes a profit, considering it cost 70 million to make.

Yes, co-signed. Especially the FPS scene, I believe this was a variation D1M1(e1) or D2M1.

mkfanatic said:

It may have been my imagination, I'm not sure, but I could have sworn I heard some revamped version of some Classic Doom music in the movie. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time and I'd have to go see the movie again to make sure (which I do not plan on doing) but did anybody else think they heard this too?

Speaking of the music, who's going to buy the soundtrack on November 8th? I just might.

And speaking of the movie itself, I love the Eomer/Karl Urban pic at the top of the main site page I just saw, heh heh.

baronofhell said:

Wow, after it's second week at theaters, Doom only earned another $4.1 million. It made nearly 16 mil it's first weekend. Long ways to go before this movie makes a profit, considering it cost 70 million to make.

If this is true, then we know there will never be a sequel no matter what. Although the idea of a sequel was already pretty far-out.

Nick Perrin said:

If this is true, then we know there will never be a sequel no matter what. Although the idea of a sequel was already pretty far-out.

You're forgetting merchandise and the foreign releases my friend. It might just profit...barely.

And something I just thought about; those of you totally pissed off at the lack of the fire-and-brimstone Hell are guilty of extreme ignorance since the Muslim depiction of Hell is the exact opposite of the Christian one ;)

Fire and brimstone hell is how it's portrayed in Doom. What the hell do the muslims have to do with anything? Meh, I just hope this movie was the tip of the iceberg.

baronofhell said:

Fire and brimstone hell is how it's portrayed in Doom. What the hell do the muslims have to do with anything? Meh, I just hope this movie was the tip of the iceberg.

I think it is, and I have many thoughts as to where it can go....However, we'll never know if people don't get out there and spend a few million dollars on tickets within the next 2 weeks.

baronofhell said:

Meh, I just hope this movie was the tip of the iceberg.

Those are the words that best describe my opinion...nice job at finding them before I did.

I didn't have time to read all the crap before this, I just wanted to say I came into the theater not expecting to watch a movie based on Doom, being that as it may, I liked it. I'm not 18, or 12 so don't even start that crap with me, I'm 23. The acting was not awful, hoky in parts but nothing like some movies I've seen. It wasn't filled with pop-culture references or a buncha gimmicks, it wasn't non-stop action with like van helsing, epileptic anyone? I thought the story was adequate and the action was balanced with suspense. Also the marines acted competently for a change, not like morons that can't shoot straight. They actually bothered to make them act somewhat like soldiers and no character is wasted. I like how they all put up some kind of a fight or are impaired in a way that puts them at a disadvantage. I like the homage to Aliens too, it was supposed to be blatantly obvious, imitation is flattery my friends. I also liked the character Pinky, he actually had a personality. I thought it was kinda interesting it came from his polish last name instead of something he did.
That said, the ending fight was mediocre and some of the one-liners therein. And the FPS sequence was cheesy but big deal. The woman was not a love interest, and they didn't make her just a stupid bimbo.
It's like Carmack said, not great, but not bad, so lighten up. It was better than the 7 bucks I spent to see Weatherman.