Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Team Future Says

Thats good to know that they are not switching to Quake4.. like every other doom3 mod out there.

i dont see why anyone doing Doom3 mods would switch to Quake4... im not too familiar with the Quake4 tech, but it looks mainly like an elaborate Doom3 mod in the first place.

on a seperate note, the shots look great. really good... as in i looked at them and though of Doom/2, not Doom3. i mean im fine with doom3, but the originals are just better and those shots have that element in them that Doom3 lacked.

scar3crow said:

i dont see why anyone doing Doom3 mods would switch to Quake4... im not too familiar with the Quake4 tech, but it looks mainly like an elaborate Doom3 mod in the first place.

You'll have a larger audience if you switch your mod to Q4.

EDIT: 500 posts!

Darkman 4 said:

You'll have a larger audience if you switch your mod to Q4.

And if you're building the ultimate audience mod this is an excellent reason to move. However, mod teams usually have and should have multiple reasons for doing what they want to do, and a large audience should be on the lower end imo (though it is nice).

scar3crow said:

Here are some (if not all) of the reasons I've come across:

- (Supposedly) better enemy AI.

- AI squad members already incorporated and functioning well.

- Vehicles already incorporated into the game. This is attractive despite D3 actually containing vehicle code.

- Weapon mods incorporated into the game engine, which can be attractive to some of the mods out there (depending on what the modmakers want to do with their mod).

- Better multiplayer mode.

So in essence, people are lazy and don't want to spend time coding extra features into the D3 engine :-P

ive heard nothing but bad regarding the q4 ai thus far.

and there is one inherent problem to switching engines for a larger audience, not finishing it once again in time, and the fickle audience you were playing to moving onto another game.

the hitbox thing sounds like the best reason to me, simply for the speed allowing you to do mods that arent as oriented around slower gameplay.

Well, I don't know about the characters/enemies. But the moveable's in Doom3 require an "clipmodel" to function. You can shape this however you wish, and I assume that you should be able to do the same for the enemies.

at least it'll be in a better boat than rtcw ever was. Modding for that game was an absolute zero interest, and perhaps the sequel may be too.

scar3crow said:

ive heard nothing but bad regarding the q4 ai thus far.

Nonsense, the squadmate ai rocks, the monster ai is, well, monster ai.

scar3crow said:

the hitbox thing sounds like the best reason to me, simply for the speed allowing you to do mods that arent as oriented around slower gameplay.

This isn't as large of a performance issue as you seem to think it is...

Modding for anything but Source is pretty much useless if you want a crapload of people to play it nowadays. That being said, there are still a handfull of us that appreciate mods to Doom 3 so we don't feel entirely ripped off.

An aside on the Quake 4 engine, there's not all too much notable about it besides hitboxes and netcode. It's still the Doom 3 engine, and still runs just as horribly for us with ATI cards. But Quake 4 was a good traditional FPS, wheras Doom 3 was not.

BBG said:

Incredible. Christ, I need to start mugging people to get some dough to afford a better computer.

Yeah, me too...no way this piece of crap could run DooM 3, let alone Quake 4.

kristus said:

Doom3 and Quake4 have the same requirements.

Actually the official "minimum system requirements" were increased for Quake 4, though if you can run doom 3 ok then there's no reason why you couldn't run q4.

Heh, interesting. My computer is still too slow (damn you Dell and your shitty RAM!) for DooM 3.

Bah.

*buys new computer and Christmas*

Doom3 is the better choice for an SP mod IMO. The PDA is a great story telling and puzzle device, and it´s lacking in Quake4.

The Stroggs and Doom demons are equally cool and fun combat wise (if you don´t let Imps spawn in all the time of course).