Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-_DLD_-

Image Problems

Yeah...I'm trying to load a custom titlepic into my DooM WAD, and I'm having problems.

I'm attempting to load this:

But I end up loading in this:

Any suggestions? I used a black and white photo so I could cut down on colours used, and it's only at about 338 or something. Note these are in jpg form and not in their original bmp form, hence the extra colours.

Doom images use 256 colours in the doom palette. Your images use neither. Rectify this and it should work. Before you ask the doom palette is included with xwe.

Just to clarafy something:

The images I'm uploading into the WAD are in .bmp form, and I'm using WinTex.

So what am I supposed to do with this xwe thing? Like, expand the pallet or something? Or will it only accept any 256 colour .bmp image?

If that's the case, what should I do to crop it down to those colours? The photo is already in black and white.

WINTEX.....
just open pwad and program will show you all
textutes, flats, sounds,...
Click to open in "paint" and replase the image !

"Desculpe-me, não falo nada em Inglês."

Before I answer your question, I was unable to view you images because they have been taken down.

Hm...id you just loaded the file with Wintex, it wont work cuz it doesn't convert the palette for you (256 colors, 32 bit colors, etc). Its best to just copy two entries from a doom or doom 2 wad into your wad, rename them to whatever, and then copy and paste you images by first opening the image you wish to upload and in MsPaint, and opening one of the images in your wad you wish to replace with the new image. THen just paste it in and click "yes" if it ask you if you want to safe changes. This way the palette is converted whenever you paste. Some of the colors wont show up correctly though.

Actually Wintex DOES do an automatic palette conversion: it's just horribly slow and the results are complete crap.

XWEs palette conversion is much better, in fact the results aren't too far off what you'd get doing it properly using a dithering command in a graphics editing program like PSP or Photoshop.

This method (using a graphics editing program) should have been the first thing suggested to you and I'm surprised nobody actually did: well actually Joes' answer could be interpreted that way.