Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Well, this sucks.....

I called my computer company today and told them that I'd been having some problems as of late with my comp-it would tell me at startup that I was missing some .DLLs though when I checked they were there (strange, eh?) and it would tell me that some files were missing or corrupted.
Yet it still ran Windows.
They told me I would have to re-format. This sucks, but only 'cause I've got lots of Ultimate Doom on my comp.
I hate re-formatting. It takes 10 or 12 hours, then after, you have to spend a good 30 to 50 minutes installing Windows, then you have to re-install all the programs you once had on your comp. Then you have to get another Internet connection. (Well, I do, seeing as I am on a 56k connection.)
This is gonna suck hard.
I guess I won't be seeing you guys for a few days. Cheerio!

I guess I won't be seeing you guys for a few days. Cheerio!

If anybody knows an alternate answer to his problem, DON'T TELL HIM.

Fuck you, you sorry-ass fucking asshole. I am not in the best of moods now. Shut your asshole, er, mouth.

Well, it won't solve anything at this time but.....
Get a CD burner! Burn important files there for safe keeping. I've got some 11 discs of stuff..... it's worth it, if just for that! Plus, Cd mixes are nice....

I hate re-formatting. It takes 10 or 12 hours, then after,

Yeah those 30 exabytes HDs are really slow to format... :P

Just try re-installing Windows over top of itself. Any missing or corrupt files should just get replaced. All your settings should stay as they are as well. This may not work, but hell it's worth a shot before you totally tank everything.

Well, it won't solve anything at this time but.....
Get a CD burner! Burn important files there for safe keeping. I've got some 11 discs of stuff..... it's worth it, if just for that! Plus, Cd mixes are nice....

how true, how true. Guess what I'll sort out first when we build our new system...

thats windows for you, i bet u got alot of shit in your systray( that will cause that many times) also lay off the crack, when does it take more than 15 minutes to format a hard drive. back ups can take a wile(tape back ups) but that is not formating. formating is the easy way out. try checking what the dll files go to. my computer say i am missing a file, i have yet to put in in too but it is not causeing me any problems

Just try re-installing Windows over top of itself.

No, don't.

Unless it's 98 or ME, in which case a re-install couldn't get any worse than a fresh install.

No, don't.

Unless it's 98 or ME, in which case a re-install couldn't get any worse than a fresh install.

Well I figured since he's planning to format his hd anyway he doesn't have anything to lose. If it makes things worse (although I don't see how), just format. If it by some slim chance fixes things somewhat he'll have a bit more time to make arrangements to back up some stuff he doesn't want to lose.

No, don't.

If it's 98 or ME, it could be that not even re-formatting helps. I'd say get a new comp if you've ever had either of those installed, you have no clue how many things could be infested by the evil 98/ME's mantra.

To get a computer rid of the traces of ME, reformatting is definitely not enough. You need a priest with a jar of holy water.

To get a computer rid of the traces of ME, reformatting is definitely not enough. You need a priest with a jar of holy water.

As long as you can submerge that computer in the jar, I guess it's fine.

What the hell do those os's leave behind that is so damaging and so hard to get rid of? You can get a good new hd for about $100 but shit is that really what it takes?

What the hell do those os's leave behind that is so damaging and so hard to get rid of? You can get a good new hd for about $100 but shit is that really what it takes?

they don't leave behind anything harmful most of the time, just crap 'n' clutter. It's just annoying, that's all

Ain't that the truth......
Mine is weird, as it will state "inncorrect startup device blah blah blah" but if you shut it off then start it again, it'll work. Bizzare. Not worth dumping all of my files for! Bwah.

Once I tried using that deltree command to save my files. The compy still acted up. So I just reformat when need be. That old compy of mine was possessed....

AM I THE ONLY BASTARD HERE THAT APPRECIATES WIN98SE????????

Ok, I'll admit, it's not perfect. If I had a choice, I'd take Win95, but 98SE runs fine on mine. Then again, I don't do much on mine, just sit on my ass and play (Final)Doom (2) and Quake (2). But one thing I fully agree on: WinME and XP is the root of all evil!!!!! You'll never catch me near any of those OSs!

Unfortunately not.

I thought you people were all for XP, mood swing?

XP != 98/Me ...

plus they're just trolling to get Doomboy away from the DW forums for a potentially much longer period of time :)

How many times can I say that? Geez.

I think my new signature should be "YOU SHOULD FUCKING DIE BECAUSE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO MANKIND YOU STUPID, USELESS, POINTLESS PIECE OF FECES-EATING BACTERIUM."

Look, if any of you knew what you were doing then you wouldn't post the things you post in here. If you do it RIGHT it doesn't MATTER what OS you have on your computer; nobody will be able to tell later anyway without reconstructing the data from what's left on the disk.

Just write a simple ASM script (not that hard, really,but I can provide a .com file to do it for you) to wipe your partition table and reset your IDE controller, then reboot, partition your disk, reboot, format, and then reboot and install Windows. Barring a hardware/physical problem, you will NOT have any problems. I'm willing to bet every penny to my name on it.

And, yah, XP owns you. XP is the best piece of software MS has ever produced, including MS-DOS. And, I'm going to be a catty bitch again and tell you that you're wrong if you disagree with me. ^-^ <- smug little smile

Red, isn't your computer you have NOW possessed? I remember you telling me a story about it, I believe.

Look, if any of you knew what you were doing then you wouldn't post the things you post in here. If you do it RIGHT it doesn't MATTER what OS you have on your computer; nobody will be able to tell later anyway without reconstructing the data from what's left on the disk.

Just write a simple ASM script (not that hard, really,but I can provide a .com file to do it for you) to wipe your partition table and reset your IDE controller, then reboot, partition your disk, reboot, format, and then reboot and install Windows. Barring a hardware/physical problem, you will NOT have any problems. I'm willing to bet every penny to my name on it.

That's what I thought. I've done the above, not with a script or anything, just manually, a few times times both with a Win 98 and 95 computer. Never had any problems. I've even done the simple deltree windows + delete the odd extraneous/hidden file then re-install bit. Again, no problems.

Don't install your new OS into C:\Windows

If you do you're asking for trouble since most virii/hacker/spammer apps are so poorly written that's their base of operations.

Try any of the following to make your life easier:
C:\W98
C:\Win98
C:\98
C:\Windoze
C:\Winners
C:\Doors
C:\PURESHIT
C:\I Licked Bill Gates
C:\Linux

Changing your Win install directory won't fuck with any of your programs but it might make some nasty things useless. =)

And, yah, XP owns you. XP is the best piece of software MS has ever produced, including MS-DOS.

WHAT ABOUT MS BOB?!?!?

No, I like it. I mean, it's not great, but it doesn't crash on me nearly as much as you guys say it does. Its those damnable new Windows without DOS that I loathe.

I had no problems with 98 too. Really. In fact, I could've kept using it without any major grieve...

...then I tried to setup a network.

Don't install your new OS into C:\Windows

If you do you're asking for trouble since most virii/hacker/spammer apps are so poorly written that's their base of operations.

Actually, most of the newer and more prevalent script virii will automatically expand the system environment variables of %System% and %Systemroot% and such, and merely changing where you've installed Windows will not affect them in any way whatsoever.

The best defense against virii is still vigilance, by keeping up-to-date with virus detection packages (if you have antivirus installed) and security patches (windowsupdate.com and catchup.cnet.com are good places to check every so often) and also by being utterly paranoid with mail and attachments.