Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MacWadMaker

Demos on Mac?

I was wondering if anyone knows a utility to record lmp's on a mac?
There used to be this program called MDU - Mac Doom Utility, but I can't find it on the net anywhere. Does anyone know where to get this or how to write a demo using keystrokes in a text file or something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm... not sure.
I seem to recall you cannot playback or record demos on a Mac.
MDU was a lump editor.
perhaps that has changed... and obviously probably only applies to the real game.
Has anyone tried loading a sparc source port on a Mac OS X machine?
perhaps through certain types of x86 emulation... there are demos released with several of the better 'Mac' pwads...
hopefully a Macintosh user can clear up this question....

Opulent said:

Hmm... not sure.
I seem to recall you cannot playback or record demos on a Mac.
MDU was a lump editor.
perhaps that has changed... and obviously probably only applies to the real game.
Has anyone tried loading a sparc source port on a Mac OS X machine?
perhaps through certain types of x86 emulation... there are demos released with several of the better 'Mac' pwads...
hopefully a Macintosh user can clear up this question....

Why would a Sparc port work on a Mac? PowerPC and Ultrasparc are very different architectures. :)

Outside of that, I can't help you really, but I think that ports like PrBoom should be clean enough to compile without major hassle on OS X, so you might give that a try.

MacWadMaker said:

Can it export the demo as lump/data file that I can import into another program?

Can you clarify what you have in mind here? A demo is a binary file that contains the basic information about the map number, skill level and number of players, followed by a listing of player actions. It can be converted to and from text using Uwe Girlich's LMPC program (as long as the demo is recorded in Doom(2).exe format).

If you're asking about the demo being converted to a video format, then Andrey Budko's Prboom-plus has a feature that is useful for this (via the -framescapture command-line option - only available with the OpenGL exe).