Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

SNES Doom mod

ruffj05 said:

i just found out that they have it already, the problem is it can only be set to on or off, theres obviously a default value. im not realy sure though, i asked if this is true and im still awaiting a response. i just gotta remember it takes them a week sometimes to respond, the forums are pretty dead.

Sorry they aren't buzzing with activity to fulfill your every whim, but this is hobby stuff remember, so deal with it.

And also has gargoylol said, running the snes mod in zdoomgl totally defeats the point, unless you're using the software renderer in which case you should just use zdoom anyway.

i know its not a hobby i understand. and i still see a point in doing this, i want to just be able to play the snes version of doom with mouse support, thats all. but hey, ill go ahead and check out just zdoom.

edit -- "QUOTE" however it doesn't have the same "fluid flow" stock doom does with a cap "QUOTE" what exactly is a fluid flow?

Ok, i got the BFG working right now. Anyone know of anything that should be done, that im missing, or maybe needs to be fixed?

ShaneAmp said:

Ok, i got the BFG working right now. Anyone know of anything that should be done, that im missing, or maybe needs to be fixed?

Good job on getting the BFG working. I know it's beena troublesome kink to work out. If you send me the latest build of the mod, I can let you know if I find any remaining inconsistencies/problems.

ruffj05: you do realise the SNES Doom is level wise pretty much the same as the PC Doom right? There is really no other point to playing this mod than to relive the old SNES graphics, the game is the same. That's why Mancubus said playing in ZdoomGL defeats the point of it.

But anyways...

It's great that you guys are doing this, but unfortunately you're grossly underestimating the capabilities of the poor old SNES. :p I notice that you decreased the resolution of the textures and sprites in your mod, while in the actual game, the resolution was left as it was on the PC.

Here are some comparison screens to prove it, on top are screenshots from your mod, below are screens from the actual SNES game:

Mod imp
SNES imp

Mod door
SNES door

Mod exit door
SNES exit door

Mod switch
SNES switch

Pretty good for that old 16 bit console huh? :p Its secrets lie in a lot of texture/sprite mirrorring (as seen clearly in that exit door screenshot, and any object sprites that were reasonably symmetrical to begin with, like pillars, are made of two mirrored halves), and I believe some decrease in color depth, but I'm not sure about that last one.

great comparison. though it seems to need more darkening (simple gamma correction on your monitor, or doom port), the mod is a little too pixelated, and the exit doors center on the snes was a "V", as on the mod was like a "/". note that im not complaining, at all. just showing you some minor flaws incase you want to fix them perhaps, thats all.

Oh, yes I have Doom's gamma set to 1.2. Mostly because, lately everybody seems to think just because Doom 3 is pitch black means they should make their wads dark as shit too...or something.

You also didn't answer my question. :p

The problem with the BFG was that it didnt effect any other monsters in the room like it should, only the one it hit. I just replaced the bfg shot graphics with the barons, and did some dehacked work, since it doesnt have as many frames, easy enough.

As far as the reduced graphics go, the topic has come up many times, I didnt do the sprites originally, but there were a few left to do, so i finished it off. It does make it look like the SNES at a distance, but up close its to pixelated. I planned on making a version with regular graphics also, and i do already have everything done thats needed, wasnt much work to do. That way there will be both versions, unless everyone thinks we should just scrap the reduced version.

One thing ive been meaning to ask about, i lowered the duration for the monsters LOOK mode, because it seemed really sped up on the snes, but it does seem kinda weird, should i keep it that way, or change it back?

Job: i dont have a most recent build together yet, but i could send you the latest dehacked work, it's not quite complete, it doesnt have the bfg fix yet, i did that in a seperate file, and the chaingun hasnt been fixed, but i also know how to do that. If you replace it in the current mod, it should be mostly functional. If anyone else wants it, that would be fine, some input would be good, i wanna do more work though before i put together another full release.
my e-mail is shane_sharpe@hotmail.com i use msn under that address to.

ShaneAmp said:

As far as the reduced graphics go, the topic has come up many times, I didnt do the sprites originally, but there were a few left to do, so i finished it off. It does make it look like the SNES at a distance, but up close its to pixelated.

If you just enable Double Horizontal detail mode at 320x240, and then reduce the screen size a bit, it looks absolutely perfect IMO.

Most of the weird pixeledishness in SNESDoom came from them using double horizontal at a low resolution anyway, so that would be the best way to emulate it.

As far as I can remember the SNES version didn't have a reduced color depth. Considering that the SNES could display 256 colors on screen at one time (and had 32,768 colors to choose from) there was really no reason to.

Only version that had to reduce the color depth was the 32X version.

I have an old project from wayyyy back that basically 'SNES'-ified the doom1 iwad. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

Indeed, I'll need to get permissions to post it, but it is (for the most part) pretty much what you guys describe here as far as gfx and sfx go.

EDIT: ACK! The project is NES doom, not SNES doom. Heh, nvm I said anything.

The double Horizontal mode at 320x200 does looks pretty much perfect. Even without the screen reduced in size, if your using the HUD, run it back to back with doom on zsnes and it looks just like it, another reason why im gonna do a version at normal resolution.

ShaneAmp said:

you have NES doom? i didnt think that ever got released, or finished, thats what i heard at least, to bad.

It wasn't, but I managed to get a copy of the near finished version. I can't say how or from whom, but I did manage to get it. I've had the wad for like a year or so now.

hmm, well i was told it was cancelled, and they werent gonna release what they had done so far either, but if it's not canelled, then thats good.

Does anyone know if theres any way to use any other type of background for the episode ending intermission? I know in MAPINFO you can change what flat is displayed, anyway to place a larger image?

Ralphis said:

did deathz0r give it up? what the shit

thats your fault!

and yeah, scrapped the "reduced" sprites, snes didn't have any of those, just less cycles. Zdoom has a horizontal stretch and low-res modes you know

yeah ive pretty much decided i'll get ride of them, the double horizontal mode does look pretty good, at 320x200 with the hud on, it even has the screen in a box, just like it did on the snes.

I think the work that needs to be done for this is finished, other then one minor bug in the HUD, AFADoomer, i lost the updated version of it, if you can send it again thad be great. New ZDoom features may bring new version though. I have to do some cleaning up, lots of useles resources in the wad now, the next version should be half the size, but it shouldnt be to long before i can release it.

I apologize for the super duper bump, but I'm just wondering if there's really anything left to do with this mod, or is it basically done? I haven't heard of it in quite some time.

I have a bunch of updates done, and there are a few little things i needed to finish. Then my computer screwed up, i lost my recovery discs, and had to order some more, so i got lazy and didnt for months. Now im just getting setup again, and my internet isnt working, so i gotta figure that out now. I dunno if there will be much more to work on once i finish what im doing, unless there are some things beyond my knowledge that can be done.

Anyone here have the latest version that was posted, it's not online anymore, im missing a few things, so unorganized these days, i wanna try and finish it.