Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkstalker

Event when enemie die?

Just thinking if it's possible to make an event when you kill a monster. For example, to go to the end of the level, you have to kill a cyberdemon. A exit door is locked but when you kill the cyberdemon, the door opens.

Is it possible ?

Just thinking if it's possible to make an event when you kill a monster.

Under vanilla DooM (i.e., DooM.exe or DooM2.exe) you can trigger events upon monster deaths only on certain levels. For example, in E1M8, killing the Barons of Hell raises the stairs, lowers the walls, the works. Likewise, in Map07 of DooM2, killing the Mancubi raises the walls and killing the arachnotrons raises the stairs to the exit. Also, on MAP32, punching or shooting the hanging Commander Keenes raises the barrier to reach the exit switch. All these are hard-coded into the .exe, and must be implemented in the same way on those very same map numbers.

Using ZDooM, you can trigger practically any event upon the death of any monster on any map number.

So is it really hard or it's just like eating a pizza ?

It's like riding a bike. Hard at first, then simple as hell.

ZDOOM has adopted Hexen scripting. So start riding that bike:)

Right now I look at the bike, and I wonder how to get on ...
I looked at the script editor help on DeepSea and it was made much for Hexen. Is there a help file or something to edit the script of doom 2 (zdoom) ?

Mmmm... Much harder than I thought. Maybe someday I'll have the patience to do it but for now i'll just stick with what I got.

Easier than learning how to edit. It IS just like HEXEN, so indeed the DeePsea script support is 100% the same as for HEXEN.

So take a few seconds before you run away:) Take a look at the sample level showing how scripts work: SCRIPTS.WAD With it there is also the documented SCRIPTS.ACS script file.

The beauty of scripting is making something truly unique - as you started to ask.

Well if you say it's not that hard. I never saw Hexen so I'm download it right now. The scripts.wad is made for Hexen, and the script editor on DeepSea is said to go for Hexen, so must I do anything special if I want to make script for doom2 (zdoom) or DeepSea will detect it and adjust by itself?
We'll, just finished downloading H, so I'm gonna see what's it look like...

The scripts.wad is made for Hexen, and the script editor on DeepSea is said to go for Hexen, so must I do anything special if I want to make script for doom2 (zdoom) or DeepSea will detect it and adjust by itself?

Multiple part answers:

1. ZDOOM scripting is just like HEXEN scripting, except ZDOOM has more options and ZDOOM thing objects have different names.

2. The SCRIPTS.WAD will run as is on ZDOOM, except the textures/flats/things will be wrong. Yet the script will still do the basic stuff - like shoot fireball stuff and create an earthquake.

Look at SCRIPTS.ACS to see the code. Look at SCRIPTS.DOC (a txt file) to see the documentation for this script.

3. To make a script for ZDOOM, you have to include ZCOMMON.ACS instead of COMMON.ACS and use DOOM things of course. But stick to the simple stuff first.

.... for what you're trying to do in ZDooM. You can set thing properties to trigger single events without using a script. Follow these steps:

1. Before you can start editing with ZDooM you need to convert your DooM2.wad into a ZDooM format. Make a copy of DooM2.wad and then use zwadconv.exe to convert it into something like ZDooM2.wad (don't name it ZDooM.wad, which already exists in your ZDooM folder). You can get zwadconv.exe from here. Note that the text file asks you to run zdwadconv.exe. This is a typographic error -- run zwadconv.exe

2. Open up your editor. Your editor needs to be configured to edit ZDooM in native mode, but if you're using DeePSea you should be all set. Select ZDooM as the project type and create your map.

3. Create the door that you wish to be opened when an enemy is killed. Assign it a tag number.

4. Insert the enemy that you wish to be the trigger, then open its properties window. From the menu of possible actions, select your action (e.g., Door_Open) and assign the arguments -- in this case tag number of the door, and speed with which the door opens.

That's it. If you wish the death of the enemy to trigger multiple events, then you'll need to write a script. But for single events, all you'll need is described above.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the help. I saw on zdoom tutorial that WadEditor was used to do the script. I have it at on my computer too, but I don't remember seeing the "arguments" box and a bunch of other things. When I convert my doom 2 to zdoom, will I be able to acces these things or I must download a patch to do it?
I'm talking about the 2 last pics on the page: http://zdoom.notgod.com/zdkb/zdoom5.html

I saw on zdoom tutorial that WadEditor was used to do the script. I have it at on my computer too, but I don't remember seeing the "arguments" box and a bunch of other things. When I convert my doom 2 to zdoom, will I be able to acces these things or I must download a patch to do it?

You're referring to WadAuthor, not "WadEditor". The "arguments" and "special" options, and the script window are only available if you're editing in native ZDooM mode. In WadAuthor you need to obtain the configuration file (zdoom.wcf) and include it in your ZDooM folder. Then, when you open WadAuthor, you select the ZDooM configuration and you're good to go. (Remember to also convert DooM2 to ZDooM format.) If you want to run your map directly from WadAuthor, you will need to edit the configuration file. This is described in the tutorial.

..to edit ZDooM in native mode, but if you're using DeePSea you should be all set. Select ZDooM as the project type and create your map.

Thanks Rex, however this is a point of much confusion.

There are TWO modes for ZDOOM,hence there are TWO projects. ZDOOM and ZDOOMHEXEN. The ZDOOM project is basically BOOM mode with some ZDOOM only stuff.

Select ZDOOMHEXEN as the project type if one is doing Hexen type scripting. The converted IWAD is only used in the ZDOOMHEXEN project.

Although linetype/specials can do this, doing scripting opens up a vastly more flexible environment. I'd even argue that some of the advanced methods are just as obscure as scripting:)

Select ZDOOMHEXEN as the project type if one is doing Hexen type scripting. The converted IWAD is only used in the ZDOOMHEXEN project.

My mistake. I must have been thinking about ZDOOMHEXEN when I wrote that.

I finally got another problem! :(
The script compiler on WadAuthor doesn't work. When I compile, it says that there was an error when compiling and it will use the old compiled code. What do I do to compile?

Just thinking if it's possible to make an event when you kill a monster.

Under vanilla DooM (i.e., DooM.exe or DooM2.exe) you can trigger events upon monster deaths only on certain levels. For example, in E1M8, killing the Barons of Hell raises the stairs, lowers the walls, the works. Likewise, in Map07 of DooM2, killing the Mancubi raises the walls and killing the arachnotrons raises the stairs to the exit. Also, on MAP32, punching or shooting the hanging Commander Keenes raises the barrier to reach the exit switch. All these are hard-coded into the .exe, and must be implemented in the same way on those very same map numbers.

Using ZDooM, you can trigger practically any event upon the death of any monster on any map number.

The Keen-doll behavior works on any Doom2 map other than map07. Tag 666.

I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.

I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, it's used in Eternal Doom... map26.

Dark...you need to get the current zdoom script compiler from the zdoom web page. It's acc.exe. There are some associated files needed with it and I think it's all provided. If you copy it over the current acc.exe in WadAuthor, it should work as long as it can find the other files zcommon.acs, zspecial.acs, zdefs.acs and zwvars.acs.

Why not use EDGE instead of zDoom? It's a hell of a lot easier to do what you want!! You have to use a type of script(called rts) but it's much easier than ACS and all those other wierd scripts out there.

Go to the web page ( http://edge.sourceforge.net./ )and check out the "RTS Online" section. After that, in the middle column click on the words "Ondeath".

I think it's the easiest way to implement what you want to do!!(IMO)

Edge graphic are great, and it's good to create a platform on a platform, but I prefer to edit with WadAuthor because it's easier and the scripts are not so hard to understand. Thanks for the help but I'm gonna stick with what I got right now.