Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Worst Level Editors of all time

What is the worst level editor of all time. Have your suggestions. I would have to say Waded is the worst of them all, unstable, annoying, linedefs get deleted and youn dont want them to. And Doomcad isn't that great either even though I have used it for many years. The problem with Doomcad is if you mis-spell something it crashes. Doomcad 5.1 was terrible, 6.1 is more accetable.

Waded 1.83 is pretty good. I've used it for a long time and never had any serious problems with it.

I totally agree with you on DoomCAD. It's bad.

I am very interested to hear why WadAuthor was so bad? It may not have a lot of features other than extensibility but you can get some maps knocked out pretty quick.

Chris

WA and Deepsea cost money (sort of), so that's probably why he listed those and apologized.

DoomBuilder, because I can't run it due to not having Windows, and I'm sick of hearing about how wonderful it is!!

I don't have a serious answer because yadex is the only editor I've used long enough to form a judgement

EdMap was pretty awful. It was unstable and eventually screwed the map up at saving or something...
WadEd also had a habit of screwing things up and it left some weird garbage in the wad file... it was nice to use though.

DoomCAD and XWE (but I hate XWE for just about everything). DoomCAD didnt even work and had a billion saving errors when I ran it...oh, 6 years ago. Doom Building is the "shiznit" for me. It's simple to use and has lots of cool features. THough I only use v. 1.0 since editing maps made with 1.0 with newer versions tends to mess up the maps texture placement, and i have no idea how to fix it.

rf` said:

Wadauthor and Deepsea. Sorry

Best however are DCK 3.62 and doombuilder.

I use WadAuthor for all basic editing, and I just keep unzipping it again after the trial expires. I never liked DeepSea for some reason...

My bottom 3:

3)DoomEd - one of the first editors I tried. The less said about it, the better.

2)XWE - bad lump editor, even worse level editor

And spot #1 goes to.....

Deepsea - a textbook case of how NOT to design a UI. It's a total mess, and is pretty much completely disorganized. Some options can even appear upwords of 3 times... in one window!

As bad as the UI is though, the GUI is even worse. Some of the icons don't give you the slightest clue of what they're supposed to do (a smiley face? come on!), which defeats the main purpose of a GUI in the first place! Not only is the GUI horrible, but in some cases, it's pretty much nonexistent (ex: the graphics import/export menu). The whole GUI looks like it was designed by a person who got time warped from 1995, straight out of making their first Geocities website.

Thinking about it, I would go as far as to say that Deepsea is the epitome of counterintuitive.

I thought this was about people... Because people edit the levels with map editors :D

But also people edit the maps with level editors.

In either case, I would have thought the same way.

Epyo said:

WA and Deepsea cost money (sort of), so that's probably why he listed those and apologized.

Wasnt just the money. I thought they just sucked (yes I used both)

I grew up on Doomcad. That said, it sucks. Personally, I happen to be a big fan of Wadauthor, used it for years. Well, except for those times when it corrupted my levels. That sucked. Now I stick with Doombuilder... Truly is a wonderful thing.

Worst editor, in my opinion, is DEU. I've learned many different ones over the years, but I could never figure DEU out. And it had that command interface... WTF!? God I hated that editor.

geekmarine said:

Worst editor, in my opinion, is DEU. I've learned many different ones over the years, but I could never figure DEU out. And it had that command interface... WTF!? God I hated that editor.

So it's bad because you never learned to use it? Right... I've used it almost since it was released in -95 or something. Deu based DETH is still my favourite and probably the most powerful all around editor out there. Let's you have control of everything.

skadoomer said:

windeu 5.24

It crashed every time you made something cool.

For me, that was the last "stable" version. Later version (I think I tried 5.25 and 5.29) were the real crash-happy versions.

Worst editor? I dunno. There were some pretty shonky DOS editors that appeared and then disappeared almost as quickly. From memory, most of the editors mentioned in this thread so far are better than those. Some of the editors mentioned in this thread are very good in fact. I guess the people posting about them simply haven't tried the shit ones and are picking their least favourites from a pretty good collection.

Not level editor, situation creator, or something like that. I remember some years ago, a little company announced that they where selling certain utility that randomize the things in a map, in a certain programed way, or not. The web site was all cheesy, the utility cost like 25 bucks or something, probably even 30, and to buy it you needed to send the money to the house of one of the authors. Some may remember it. And some of the most annoying parts of it, was the fact that when you eventualy uninstal it, a message with a bad resized cyberdemon sprite was displayed saying "We won".

stoned said:

So it's bad because you never learned to use it? Right... I've used it almost since it was released in -95 or something. Deu based DETH is still my favourite and probably the most powerful all around editor out there. Let's you have control of everything.

It's not for a lack of trying... Just always seemed horribly complicated to me, is all. I dunno. I guess I just didn't find it... intuitive.

geekmarine said:

I agree but I can forgive DEU as it was the first fully featured Doom editor to come out.

Job said:

EdMap. Ran in DOS, unstable, and not too user friendly.

EdMap is actually my favourite editor of all time. If you learn the shortcuts you can do things really fast. The stability issue is the problem, though.

Yeah, EdMap was the only map editor I could actually figure out when I first tryed making a map waaay back in like 96 or 97... but then it stopped working after I was halfway through with my first map... DEU was impossible to understand, I never used it...

I later used ZETH (it was around 1999 or 2000) for zdoom map editing, and that was a lot better, but still was confusing.

Since then I've switched over to Doom Builder. It's great.

I agree, I dislike Deepsea incredibly.

WadAuthor and DETH are the best. I'm also interested in SLADE.

Enjay said:

There were some pretty shonky DOS editors that appeared and then disappeared almost as quickly. From memory, most of the editors mentioned in this thread so far are better than those. Some of the editors mentioned in this thread are very good in fact. I guess the people posting about them simply haven't tried the shit ones and are picking their least favourites from a pretty good collection.

words of wisdom and experience.
many of you have no idea what crap was out in 1995.
Deep was better than DEU... and Deepsea is 10x as powerful(although it definitely has a larger learning curve than most).
This is kind of like asking 'what's your most hated football team' though... because this topic has always had extremely varied opinions.