Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

2sectors demo-pack and demos [-complevel 2]

Post your demos for 2sectors here. Use -complevel 2 (Doom2.exe format) and use the naming convention 2sXY-ZZZ.lmp, where XY is the map number and ZZZ is the time. Replace the "-" with a letter representing categories other than UV-speed and max.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've recorded a bunch of 15 demos on 2sectors.

They're mostly very short, and the category varies - for the most part I just chose whatever seemed the most entertaining way to play it. Two maps are demoless, because I couldn't immediately think of anything that would be fun either to play or to watch.

Edited by Grazza

Nice runs, there, Grazza! I especially liked your very stylish map 5 max run, one of your most impressive runs the last few months, IMHO. :-)

I made a few runs some weeks ago, too. And I went back and improved some of them, kept some old ones, and threw together a small pack myself:

http://www.d.kth.se/~d99-kro/demos/2sec-kr.zip

5 speedruns (with 2 of them pacifist), 2 max runs. Enjoy (or something)

Cool mapset and cool demos Grazza and Kristian! In a while I improved two tysons map08 to 0:57 and map13 to 0:39. Sending the demos to Grazza.

Gusta's Tysons:
2s08t057
2s13t039

I took the liberty of correcting a small error in the textfile for the map08 demo: the previous demo there was by Kristian. This had the odd result of giving the text-file a date-stamp earlier than the demo (due to the time difference).

Nice to see other people recording on these maps. Maybe we can get together a full (or fullish) set in a few categories.

Yes, why not? I have lots of crappy demos for these maps I can improve. By the way, my map 8 demo wasn't tyson (I used the shotgun for a couple of imps, IIRC).

Eh I am sorry for that error. I will look if I could do some more max/tysons for another maps. This set doesn't work to me with doom2.exe so much. A curiosity: Grazza's map05 maxdemo ends in VPO (129) under doom2.exe. Cool to see VPO built of two sectorsd only :)

Gusta said:

This set doesn't work to me with doom2.exe so much.

Nor for me - some maps have huge texturing issues, and drastic slowdowns. Most of the maps were surely not tested with Doom2.exe (Andrey Budko's map07 map08 is one exception I know of).

Gusta said:

A curiosity: Grazza's map05 maxdemo ends in VPO (129) under doom2.exe. Cool to see VPO built of two sectorsd only :)

Yes, this is certainly very surprising, given that it is also one of the simplest maps in 2sectors.wad, and the VPO occurs at a point when one sector has lowered to the same height as the other.

Another demos from me:
map07 tyson in 1:20
map08 tyson in 0:51
map09 max in 0:33
map14 tyson in 1:53
Good relax after the school :)

Grazza said:

I am surprised that this demo is not played correctly with prboom 2.2.4
---------------------------
PrBoom
M_ReadFile: Couldn't read file D:\games\Doom2/demosav4.dsg
OK

and played fine with 2.2.5 and 2.2.6

Here's Gusta's map14 Tyson:
2s14t153

entryway said:

I am surprised that this demo is not played correctly with prboom 2.2.4 ... and played fine with 2.2.5 and 2.2.6

Yes, I can't work out what complevel Gusta is using for these. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before (I'd expect to recognize 0, 1, 3, 5, 7 or -1 by various means), and they don't play back with Doom2.exe, and neither lmpc nor mbflmpc can handle them.

Gusta: please check what you have in your cfg (should be...

default_compatibility_level     0
...to make Doom2.exe format the default) or your command line.

Some nice demos here. I thought I'd toss some of my own demos I just did. I did map01, map03, map04, and map13 UV -fast style. Nothing too tough other than map04. That was plain tough to get a proper UV -fast on.

All are first exits too other than map13, which is a 2nd exit.

Sending all to Ops now.

Heh and I was surprised why my demos doesn't work eith doom2.exe, I use prboom 2.2.6 and in Launcher I have set -complevel 0.
But in my prboom.cfg file was
default_compatibility_level -1 and monsters_avoid_hazards 0, but I don't understand why there was -1.
All my demos works OK with prboom 2.2.6

Grazza said:

Nor for me - some maps have huge texturing issues, and drastic slowdowns. Most of the maps were surely not tested with Doom2.exe

Of course not, it was never a requirement for them to run in Doom2.exe (also notice it's located in the ports directory on the idgames database).

Besides, back when these maps were made, Chocolate Doom did not exist, so there was no way for most of us to test them for vanilla compatability, even if we wanted to.

Moving on to the demos, nice job guys! :D

Haven't watched them all yet, buy I'd probably have to say that Grazza's MAP05 max is my favorite so far. :)

Nuxius said:
Of course not, it was never a requirement for them to run in Doom2.exe

The rules stated "No port specific stuff", which could either be interpreted to mean that the maps should work in Doom2.exe, or else that they should work in a purely limit-extending port. This was discussed in the Newdoom thread too. I should clarify that the map05 VPO is the only fatal problem that I'm aware of in this respect - all my other demos do actually play back in Doom2.exe, and in many cases without even visual problems. Possibly map05 can be done without triggering the VPO too (maybe just avoid backing into a corner while looking across the whole map).

(also notice it's located in the ports directory on the idgames database).

Ty goes by what the text-file says regarding whether a port is needed. He doesn't test them for Doom2.exe compatibility in order to decide where to put them.

Besides, back when these maps were made, Chocolate Doom did not exist, so there was no way for most of us to test them for vanilla compatability, even if we wanted to.

Doom2.exe should still run on most systems (incl. XP Home), though you may need to disable sound effects to avoid erratic performance.

Anyway, I wasn't particularly implying that the mappers were right or wrong in this, but just confirming to Gusta that this probably wasn't a case of his computer letting him down, and that they are genuine issues that the maps have with Doom2.exe.

Haven't watched them all yet, buy I'd probably have to say that Grazza's MAP05 max is my favorite so far. :)

Well thanks, glad you (and Kristian) like it, though it's not even my favourite among my own demos (that's probably 2s12p008), or one of the ones that I worked hardest on. It happens that way sometimes, I suppose. Actually, I felt I was being a bit shoddy not putting in a bit more effort to get it under a minute.

My favourites among what has been done so far are probably Anima's 2s01f034, Gusta's 2s08t051 and Kristian's 2s09-004.

Anyway, I wasn't particularly implying that the mappers were right or wrong in this

Yeah, I know you weren't; I guess I could've worded my post a bit better. I was just providing better clarification of why they don't run in Doom2.exe.

Ty goes by what the text-file says

Exactly, that was my point. ;) Bad wording on my part again, I suppose.

Anyway, back to the demos (sorry for taking it off topic there for a minute),
if you hadn't been at 1% health for over half of your MAP05 max demo, I probably would have picked one of the other ones as my favorite. Knowing that 'one more hit and you're a goner' added some flair to it. :)

Just another run I did today: Map 5 UV speed + pacifist in 0:16. I wish I could say this run was as easy as it looks in the demo... but I don't want to tell a lie. ;-)

I'm not displeased with the time, though it could have been a little better. There's just too much luck involved.

Opulent: small correction in the table: Kristian's 0:04 UV Speed was on map09, not map04.
OP edit: wow, what a catch. fixed.

I "proudly" present possibly the cheapest Tyson ever...

Map17 UV Tyson in 0:50 (edit: improved from an initial 0:52).

With a total surprise I recorded map 05 in 1:00 last night! Crappy time, I hope Grazza that you will beat one minute in the next try.