Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMinator

2 Basic DeHackEd Questions

I haven't used DeHackEd since I was 12, and I don't come here often...so there's a couple of things I need to be refreshed of.

1) Whenever I start DeHackEd for DOOM 2...a couple of the fields have ERROR written in red. I don't remember ever having this problem before. Is there a way to fix that? Or is it not that important?

2) How do you get DeHackEd data lumps into your WAD? I've seen some WADs with DeHackEd features built right in, and a DEHACKED entry in the data section in WinTex...I never knew that was possible before.

Thanks...

1) Get WhackEd, the windows DeHackEd editor, by Exl.

2) Using a tool like XWE (or any other lump editor), save you DEH file as DEHACKED.LMP, and then add it into your wad (in XWE you would go to Entry > Load.

DOOMinator said:
1) Whenever I start DeHackEd for DOOM 2...a couple of the fields have ERROR written in red. I don't remember ever having this problem before. Is there a way to fix that? Or is it not that important?

It means it's expecting another engine version than the one you are using; there's a line in dehacked.cfg where the version should coincide with the version of your Doom binary; i.e., 3 for Doom2 v1.9, 4 for The Utltimate DOOM's Doom, etc.

2) How do you get DeHackEd data lumps into your WAD? I've seen some WADs with DeHackEd features built right in, and a DEHACKED entry in the data section in WinTex...I never knew that was possible before.

Only some newer released source code based engines can do that; it's something that was implemented first in MBF, Lee Killough's Boom offshoot, and was then added to numerous engines that took the idea or were based on MBF. These take lumps that are pure DeHackEd, or also Boom's "extended" DeHackEd (BEX) or variations of it.

Are you the guy who put the Doominator wad together, by the way, or is that username just a coincidence?

myk said:
Are you the guy who put the Doominator wad together, by the way, or is that username just a coincidence?

Just a coincidence...I signed-up here almost 3 years ago and just put the first name that popped in my head. I usually go by DOOMENSTEIN when I play online.

DOOMinator said:

Just a coincidence...I signed-up here almost 3 years ago and just put the first name that popped in my head. I usually go by DOOMENSTEIN when I play online.

Is your name like Terminator, or is it Minator with a DOOM- at the front?

It's like terminator I guess. Although my sig says "Denominator"...which was from the only funny thing I ever heard on Home Improvement.

This isn't a double post since there hasn't been a response in awhile...

Ok, as far as the DeHackEd lump question goes...I tried what you said and it didn't work. I assume I did it wrong so I'll explain what I did.

-Using a WolfenDOOM WAD as the guinea pig (2nd_enc.wad)
-I loaded it up in XWE. I changed the file extension on 2nd_enc.deh to lmp.
-I loaded it in the WAD via XWE and it didn't seem to work.

Should I have changed the lump name to DEHACKED.LMP? Or is there something else I messed up?

Yea, you should have renamed the DEH file to DEHACKED.LMP. If you already have the DEH added into the wad with a wrong name, just rename it in XWE instead of adding it there again...