Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Xbox 360: Fate of Dreamcast?

One day we will all know the Real Truth about how Microsoft forced Sega out of the console business, bought out Sega's hardware division, took a few old Dreamcast's blueprints, mixed it with a PC and hyped the result as XBox. Microsoft is eeeeeevil.

j/k

or am I?

What about the "Had a better console than the competition, but was forced out by competition strong arming businesses into not carrying their machine, and making up complete lies about their own system which ultimately proved to be underpowered and a complete joke contrary to claims." Comparison?

Ralphis said:

the dreamcast had horrible marketing

Saturn was worse since it had commercials of whatever his name was beating up people for a Sega Saturn.

I read those articles a few days ago and I thought it was retarded. Microsoft is not Sega, I think they know how to make a console successful.

Compared to Sega, Microsoft's XBox nowhere near matches Sega when they were at their peak. So don't tell me Microsoft know how to make a console successful when the XBox was not only their first console, but also has a marginal share of the market at best when compared to Sony, making it nothing more than a mediocre, not successful, launch. They've made a loss with every console sold, and the only reason Microsoft is even entering the arena again is because they have so much money. Hell, the XBox can't even compare to the success Sega had with the Genesis, even with Sega's competition from Nintendo at the time.

As a random note, my local Wal-Mart has a 360 set up with a demo disk, and I have to say that I'm very unimpressed by what I saw. It's nothing more than a suped up XBox, which I guess is the point, but in terms of technological and graphical leaps, it leaves a lot to be desired.

The demo disk that the console was running came with some games, notably a prerelease demo of Call of Duty 2, which looks like Call of Duty 1 except now it has some crappy bloom and other shaders slapped on, making everything really out of focus, sand blasted and ugly looking. There was also a demo for Peter Jackson's King Kong, which although breath taking in some ways, was also just as blurry and ugly as Call of Duty 2 was. It also took the King Kong demo a good 30 seconds or more to load, probably because of all the shitty shaders being used. This is supposed to be the next generation of gaming?

I mean, sure, some of the effects created by shaders are nifty, but at the cost of image sharpness. Why all of a sudden are blurred, vaseline smeared graphics prefered over sharp, professionally made graphics? Not to mention that the demos I played were stricken with a terrible case of the jaggies, which when mixed with a bunch of shaders that blur everything and make the game appear out of focus or unsharpened, ends up looking very ugly. Funny that we have shaders that make everything blend together, and at the same time appear very jagged and pixelated.

From what I've seen so far, I have to say the next generation of consoles is looking very unimpressive. If I have to suffer through ugly-as-hell shaders with every coming game for these new consoles, while gameplay remains as mediocre and unimaginative as it has been this past generation, I might drop out of gaming entirely until game designers start being more professional, rather than just using whatever shader is most popular.

that's why I'm apposed to shader use in the first place. pretty they may be, but don't use them as a crutch.

The Dreamcast dies for many reasons. It was launched to early. Took some risks. Bad marketing. And the worst case burn of pirating in Asia. That system was pirated to death. From system to games it was bootlegged. Anyone remember the Bleamcast?

It may happen to The Xbox. I dunno.

Speaking of market shares, does anyone else find it mildly ironic that, in the video game console business, nintendo has lead profits since 98?

Ralphis said:

Speaking of market shares, does anyone else find it mildly ironic that, in the video game console business, nintendo has lead profits since 98?

Interesting, although Im probably gonna sound like a total dickhead by saying they're going to lose that lead very soon.

Ralphis said:

I wonder how much of that profit is because of there hand helds?

Snarboo said:

It also took the King Kong demo a good 30 seconds or more to load, probably because of all the shitty shaders being used.

Yes because text-based scripts take SO LONG to load. Shaders in no way affect load times. Load times are reflected in level data and textures/models.

Captain Red said:

I wonder how much of that profit is because of there hand helds?

Actually, I wasn't speaking on the portable market. Just the consoles.

Nintendo builds durable machines for much much less than Sony or Microsoft. They make such a larger amount of profit off each console sold as opposed to the other two consoles, especially the XBOX which made no profit. AT ALL. As a matter of fact, they're down few BILLION dollars of no profit. Every XBOX sold within the last few years has been sold at a loss.

Also Bloodskull, I'd say you're very very wrong.

AirRaid said:

Yes because text-based scripts take SO LONG to load. Shaders in no way affect load times. Load times are reflected in level data and textures/models.

Ah, I see. Still, I was mostly venting over how unimpressed I am with next generation consoles and how nothing has really changed, other than what shaders are used in games. I don't even see this generation being as impressive graphically as the last generation was (ie PSOne > Dreamcast > XBOX, which was a pretty impressive leap to me). I already know that gameplay will be about the same, so all the more reason for me to be frustrated for paying $59.99 to play the same game with different graphics.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to what the Revolution might offer. I know no matter what fate the console has, some of the games will be very intersting.

Ralphis said:

...especially the XBOX which made no profit. AT ALL. As a matter of fact, they're down few BILLION dollars of no profit. Every XBOX sold within the last few years has been sold at a loss.

I hear this repeated as mantra all too often. Is there any evidence to support this?

Snarboo said:

stuff

Good post. Personally I'd rather be playing my Dreamcast than any of these shitty new consoles.