Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shotgunmasacre2

Best levels/wads of all time.

The title says it all, what are the best levels/ wads ever. I have to many to decide on which one is the best although I would like to have some input from the community.

Drown in Blood wins for coop.
Runbuddy and all of that authors maps are awesome as well.

Aliens TC.

Even if it's a decade-plus-year-old TC, for the love of God, PLAY IT. It will scare you shitless, at least the first time.

Well, here's my favorits.

Aliens TC (I crown ye teh best)

Close seconds:
RTC 3057 Hub1
Ashun Doom
Darkening E2
Claustrophobia

Honorable mentions:
Hacx
Eternal Doom
Aliens Vendetta
Requiem
Strain
Twice Risen
10 sectors megawad 1

Wads that I wait for:
Foreverhood
RTC 3057 hub 2 and 3

I've probably missed several.

Search the forums for some more considered lists (with links), but here are a few favourites off the top of my head, in roughly descending order of personal preference:

Hell Revealed
Kama Sutra
Alien Vendetta
STRAIN
Equinox
Vile Flesh
Icarus
TVR!
2002 ADO
Hacx
Eternal
H2H-Xmas
Scythe2
MM2
Requiem
MM
Real World
Cyberdreams
Scientist 2
Hell Revealed 2
Scythe
Armadosia (would be higher with a bugfix/gameplay tweak release)
Enigma
Deus Vult
Slayer
Fragport
Rebirth

...and too many single-map wads and short episodes to list here.

Eagerly awaited:
Kama Sutra 2
Harmony
Flashback
Deus Vult 2
Plutonia 2
Shtbag's Megawad

Where exactly do you guys go to find some of these wads? I check Doomworld and Zdoom.org regularly, but I never see anything about a "Plutonia 2"..maybe some of this stuff was a while before my time (I made an effort to catch up).

Should I start checking EDGE and LEGACY port websites too? Not a huge fan of the ports but if they have maps deserving a spot on some of your favorites list i might suck it up for a change.

EDIT: To contribue to the actual topic of this post, I don't have nearly as much dooming experience as some others but

-Megawads
Alien Vendetta
Memento Mori (haven't played the 2nd yet)
Eternal Doom

-Episode-Like Wads
Simplicity
Italian Doom (very underrated wad in my opinion, although a bug prevented me from getting past the 3rd level-I heard it has been fixed)

To keep from getting burnt out on Doom, since im always on the verge, I wind up playing a lot less and checking the forums here and at zdoom a lot more.

Killionaire said:

Where exactly do you guys go to find some of these wads?

Note that the ones I listed as "eagerly awaited" aren't out yet. Plutonia 2 is a project that has been under development for several years. It has been mentioned on and off in the forums, so anyone who has been here for a while and reads the forums every so often is likely to have heard of it, and other such projects that are being worked on.

Also, mappers sometimes mention their next project when they release a wad (IIRC, that was the case with Thomas van der Velden and Harmony). It often pays to check out the homepages of well-known mappers. Even then, something sometimes appears from out of the blue.

There's also WIP, but not everyone chooses to use that (and not everyone can view the site either).

hows plutonia 2 goign anyways?
i heard that they were still working on it earlyer this year

Plutonia2 is down at the moment, no news from the teamleader at all.

We may have to keep on the project on our own... we will see with the current members.

I dunno, probably dark7 by bryant robinson, or sid by espi.

Yeah simplicity is amazingly good but it does sort of get old. 20 maps in like 2-3 themes, cmon, creativity plz.

Uhhhh cyberdreams, that's pretty good yeah, requiem is probably good but whenever I try to play it I get bored and just skip to level 13 and then quit after that one. That's probably the best single level of all time, but I like deepest reaches from tnt too for some reason. I've done top 10 wad posts that I actually put thought into, I'll have to look for those.

EDIT: Ooh ooh Doom: Ressurection is a good one, and Dissolution of course, here's a nice favorite episode thread you should take a look at.

Grazza said:

Shtbag's Megawad

Sorry, but you can take that off the list. I'm not satisfied with the maps I made so far so I would have to go back and redo them so their quality matches more recent additions. What I could do is gather the maps that I do like and release them as an episode or something.

A great shame, though I feared as much. It would have been a really good megawad if you'd just finished it off, got it playtested and tweaked a few things.

I understood that those particular wads were not out yet, I was wondering where you found them out.

Anyway, this is just for clarification, as you already answered my question.

Scythe (Erik Alm), I really liked the design of all the maps. Starting off with an E1/Doom2 mix and going into a Rockred of hell.

Scythe 2 (Erik Alm), Erik Alm hits back with another excellent megawad, but the original Sycthe was better. The best thing about Scythe 2 is MAP27, an awesome and scary level indeed. Still a good megawad but completley different to Scythe 1.

Alien Vendetta, Best megawad I have played. Some amazing levels. MAP08 and MAP20 are my favourites.

Plutonia,(Casali Brothers) certinally worth buying if you can still find FD. Dario and Milo Casali did a superb job of this wad and all new original textures icluded.

John W. Anderson's "Inferno Series". I get alot of inspiration from his levels, especially the ones in the Master Levels such as vesperas. There are 8 maps, 2 freely avaliable, E4M7 of UD and 5 Master Levels.

Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requiem (TiC) and Strain (ADA). Nothing short of Brilliant I must admit, excellent original music written by Mark Klem and David Shaw. You have gotta own all 4 of these wads.

Hell Revealed (Yonathan Donner, Haggay Niv), Yes, this is Hell. 32 Levels of Hell and ROTT Music.

Eternal Doom 3 (TeamTNT), Massive I must say. Huge levels, all new textures and original Music.

Phobos Anomaly Reborn (Chris Lutz), This is an unbeliveble looking episode, especially with the coloured lighting in the later maps.

OTHERS NOT TO MENTION

Classic Episode (Various)
CH_Retro, (Chris Hansen)
Fava Beans (Sean Birkil)
Icarus (TeamTNT)
Inferno (Chris Lutz)
Crusades (Richard Wiles)

And many more..............

Wow, I thought that at least one person would post that the FIRST level of doom is one. It may not be good or fun but at LEAST it was the level that started the legacy :)! Hanger should be redone and then it would be a good level.

Perhaps e1m1 is one of the most notable, or most famous, or most extravaganzic level of all time, but best?

Jehar said:

Drown in Blood wins for coop.
Runbuddy and all of that authors maps are awesome as well.

Where can I get Drown in Blood?

you probably could download in the archives. I got mine from downloading it when i needed it to play a server for zdaemon and thusly it found it for me. i get a lot of the wads I play on zdaemons wad search.
EDIT: BTW i have to say that level 8 on AV is the best level while level 20 comes in second. looks like i made up my mind(sorta) ;)

The wads I like are my wads and some of the other wads you guys mentioned like Icarus.

Fritter
scge
CS3
Marines of the UAC (weapons for edge)
Immoral conduct
Icarus
hellsbells
claust
NJmarineassault
dark7

-Alando1

in no particular order...

rtc-3057 hub1
alien vendetta
action doom
phobos anomaly reborn
caverns of darkness
grove
simplicity
darkening episode 2
claustrophobia
massmouth 1 & 2
hell revealed 1 & 2
fragport
slayer
cyberdreams
scythe 1 & 2
equinox
vrack 2 & 3
also that one really detailed space station wad by erik alm that i dont remember the name of

Too many to name..
but here are a few

Icarus. Eternal Doom Both CC projects (Community Chest) RTC 3057 ...............The list goes on..you get the idea