Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Advent Doom Calendar for December 2005

zap610 said:

Just wondering, what is the date of the deadline? It would help to know it.

Something like 15-20. November would be a great date. I need to hang up with Schepe(Anders) sometime soon, but I am not home at the moment. Everybody that is still on team, please send a email at tornthedark@nospam.gmail.com (remove nospam.) so I can get an idea on how long you are. In the worst case, I will release the megawad in the morning 24th or 25th december (gmt +1, 10:00-12:00am, just an idea). But I really hopes people will be finished with their maps. Thats all for now, see you later.

Just a note about the difference between the original plans and this "megawad" approach.

I'm sure several reading this have experience pulling together various people's works into a conglomerate wad, but I can assure you it's not a trivial process. You've limited your engine, which is good, but I'd bet out of 30 wads you'll have at least 100 texture conflicts where people have inserted graphics with the original DOOM2 names, music, sounds, who knows what.

You haven't had any coordination of the complex part of this that is the organization of the wads themselves, difficulty levels, weapon use and placement, etc. I think you're asking for trouble if you really try to make this into "Community Chest: The Advent Calendar" without the planning involved.

Just a helpful hint from a guy who has been there a few times :)

Yeah I think Ty's got a point Torn. I mean what if for example somebody wanted to use a Red sky for there level and then someone else wants a blue or orange sky, it kinda screws everybodys plans up.

Well, I can see the point. But with the skies, status bar and etc... I will pick some suitable. But let us see if people finish their maps in time.

Btw, please send me just a simple email on your progress, that would be helpful in my planning.

hmmm....i said before i will still do this if mine doesn't have to go in the megawad. nobody replied before. i have no problem with leaving though.

I thought we had decided not to change any doom2 content but we could make our own textures using a special names...?

edit: Torn, my map is coming along well and should be ready by the proposed date.

Use3D said:

I thought we had decided not to change any doom2 content but we could make our own textures using a special names...?

I have a lot of extra unused textures making my level balloning to 3 megabytes from the doom recoloring stuff. It is too big for wintex now...

http://doomrealm.mancubus.net/Misc/advent1.jpg
http://doomrealm.mancubus.net/Misc/advent2.jpg

A couple of early screenshots (I just started the map less than an hour ago). I should have it done in a few days.

I have a lot of extra unused textures making my level balloning to 3 megabytes from the doom recoloring stuff. It is too big for wintex now...

..well then remove the unused textures when you're done with the map.

Use3D said:

edit: Torn, my map is coming along well and should be ready by the proposed date.

i know. refer to my post before about how my wad got out of hand(it also has enough "strange" content to hold its own alone). somebody, whenever you have the time, tell me if i should back out and make this my own christmas thingy. i don't care either way, but the fact is my name is still on the list.

http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/smoke.jpg
one of the new "guns"

jetflock said:
one of the new "guns"

Each time the Player uses it he loses 1% health, though it also causes similar damage to other Players (not bad for DeathMatch) in confined areas.

AgentSpork said:

Nice work, :)
I really hope people finish most of their maps for this project. Or else I would need to take up the megawad idea again.

jetflock said:

i know. refer to my post before about how my wad got out of hand(it also has enough "strange" content to hold its own alone). somebody, whenever you have the time, tell me if i should back out and make this my own christmas thingy. i don't care either way, but the fact is my name is still on the list.

http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/smoke.jpg
one of the new "guns"

Well, I guess you need to. Sorry, but the plan of this project was to make it simple. So I take you of the list, but good luck with your own christmas project. :)

* Potgiesser has sent me a finished map

Job said:

Two questions: which map slot do I have and when's it due?

No map slot is specfic, and you have about 1½week.

rf` said:

My map is ready to go. You want me to email it to you or just link it here?

Please email me it. :)

cycloid said:

well i've got the basic laout and style together now... just got to add in the monsters, heh

50-70% of my map is done, monsters and all. about 378 of them.

It cant be too far from the release now :D

can you put a zip of the weeks map's on sundays?

- sausage

sausage said:

It cant be too far from the release now :D

can you put a zip of the weeks map's on sundays?

- sausage

Yeah, good idea. I will think about that idea. :)

Map still comming along nice, it will meet the deadline. When it is done I'll send it over IRC.

I found ravage's map in my mailbox today.
Ravage, I am gonna change it to doom2 map format. Okay? And fixing some errors in the map. But it look fine and fun. :)

I hope you dont have texture problems in Doom2. It uses at least some of the TEKWALL textures that may not be in doom2.

not to be a pain in the arse or arrogant or anything but i`D prefer it if any advent calendar compilation was just a zipped up compilation of wads than a merged megawad. would help keep peoples custom textures and stuff apart. and id like my wad to remain stand alone, but also part of the whole. if you get what i mean, heh

Okay, I will think about that. Maybe each sunday would be a good idea for people to get a bunch of the maps.

I think the best form to relase the wads is the original idea. Show one map at day, the people can download one diferent wad per day

Okay, I have talked with anders_a. So the page is not gonna be a problem (thanks really much again :)) But guys, I need your finished maps. I have 2-3 finishedmaps at the moment, Send them in.

Torn said:

I have 2-3 finishedmaps at the moment, Send them in.

I can do that if you like, but it's gonna shorten my map a good dosage and make it kinda suck in my opinion. So uh how many days do I have left exactly here?

Tormentor667 said:

The point is that plain-vanilla-maps make the work on the map very constricted. No possibility to add snow, many tricks (conc. translucency, slopes) that are very simple to achieve with ZDoom aren't possible anymore and - trust me - this will make this Advent Doom Calender much more boring because it will be more ordinary just as every other /newstuff effort.

But I think Torn aimed at something different with this "Advent Doom Calender" and I think we should make the best out of that.

AFAIK there is no single X-Mas wad out there (except XMassMouth, but that's more MassMouth) that is actually funny and worth to play. With this little project, we could do something like that ... but that's going to be very hard with JUST vanilla features :(

It's no contest, who is able to make the best vanilla xmas wad, it's more like a community achievement for all those Doomers out there to make them feel comfortably christmas-happy when they play doom :)

@Torn - Everyone has ZDoom, don't think that this is a big problem at all!

this is a BIG problem.some computers cannot run zdoom. maybe you should do a little research. zdoom is very VERY CPU intensive, and causes some AMD's to lock.

I say let's use Boom compatibility. please.

Am I the only one that hates the constant Zdoom pimpage here? I know now that the rules specify that you use DOOM FEATURES ONLY- yet people wanna beg to use zdoom.