Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReelSplatter

The actual Bill Gates Doom video!

I got ahold of the video that you may have read about in Masters of Doom; The video of Bill Gates in the game, promoting Windows 95 and DirectX. This came directly from the guy who made it (Alex St. John), and it hasn't been seen in over 10 years.

http://home.comcast.net/~reelsplatter/BillDoomTitles.wmv

- Mike

EDIT - This isn't a spambot. I used Google to hunt down as many Doom forums as possible to spread the word to fellow fans.

Wow. An artifact of the past...back when Bill Gates was saying that Windows 95 was "the gaming platform of the future."

My how things have changed since then, huh?

Cool, I was wondering if this clip was obtainable somehow.

WildWeasel said:

Wow. An artifact of the past...back when Bill Gates was saying that Windows 95 was "the gaming platform of the future."

My how things have changed since then, huh?

Funny you should say that, considering that Win98 made it near-impossible to play any games made before it. Also: is it just my experience talking, or was it ridiculously easy to get a game running in DOS?
1) Empty autoexec.bat
2) Empty config.sys
3) Put MSCDEX somewhere
4) Play

Bucket said:

Funny you should say that, considering that Win98 made it near-impossible to play any games made before it.

Nonsense.

...experience...
1) Empty autoexec.bat
2) Empty config.sys

Experience?

Belial said:

Nonsense.

Ah, so all of my programs that no longer run (without some framerate-crippling or crappy-driver-emulating utility) are just being difficult. This information should come in handy.

Experience?

Yes, experience. See, back in the day we had to streamline our startup files to make the most out of our 4Mb memory cards. That was before video cards were big business and games came with their own "drivers".

IRQ and DMA settings were a bitch, though.

When i still only had 4mb ram on an old 386 i just held down left shift during boot up so it would pass by my autoexec/config. no sound but i atleast could play it. then i got 8 megs of ram and all was well in doomville. i remotley remember that stuff, especialy that doom tournement. "c|net" central on sci-fi channel carried coverage of it from microsoft. thats where that Dennis "thresh" Fong guy's claim to fame came from.

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm, Bucket. You call emptying autoexec.bat and config.sys 'experience', I call it ridiculous.

Also, back in the day I had to write my own config.sys to get 610K of base memory free to run Betrayal at Krondor with sound. So if you were trying to impress me with being uber-oldschool, you missed it.

I use Win98 now on my 2 year old comp and the only games that I can't run are antiques like Wing Commander or Populous (DosBox FTW) and DOS specific stuff like Crusader: No Remorse.

I almost pissed my pants the first time I heard Bill say "Don't interrupt me!" He shot the zombie without pulling the triger...he isn't quite the gun-toting badass I always imagined him to be.

Technician said:

I thought the book said it was a imp wanting an autograph.

The author hasn't even seen the video yet! This is the first time since 95 this has been available to view!

Technician said:

I thought the book said it was a imp wanting an autograph.

That was probably just a case of bad memory or something.

Fredrik said:
Could someone grab a screenshot for the Doom Wiki and Wikipedia?

I tried, but that doesn't seem to work; another of the many reasons people should never ever use WMV for video files.

To whomever has a commercial video media converter installed: please reformat it to AVI/MPG and post it somewhere.

Heh, the interruption scene.

Bucket said:
Turn off video hardware acceleration. Don't ask me why this works.

Yeah, thanks... that's useful. Otherwise the grabs are black or show a corner of the window on the upper left.

That's some funny shit. The trenchcoat just makes it all the more funny.

I'm reading Masters of Doom right now... I hear there's some instances where the author explains things wrong, I guess this is one of them.

Still - "These games are getting really... realistic."

Bill really sucks at DooM...did you see how long it took him with IDDQD and IDKFA to kill those monsters? Pathetic.