Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xtife

monsters+ teleports?

heyas

i was wondering how you have monsters teleport in where the player is when you walk over a linedef or hit a switch?

iv looked at a few maps that have this feature, and i still cant figure out how its done. could someone explain or refer me to a guide that explains this trick?

Make a small holding area for 'em off to the side of the map and block off their access to their teleport line with a wall or pillar. The line you cross or switch you flip should remove this barrier for them to allow them to cross. Be sure to have the lindefs in the holding sector referance a sector you'll be making noise in to wake them up first.

Then it is just a matter of figuring out where to put the teleport destination.

how would a monster hear me make a sound all the way on the outside of the map tho?

thats the only thing that i didnt get about this :)

A sector can have more than one independent part. If you make a sector outside the map and then manually make its sidedefs reference a sector inside the map, you'll get a sector made up of two separate parts. When you fire a weapon, the sound instantly is heard in that sector and surrounding ones where it's not blocked. And if that separate part is also the same sector, so the sound is heard there too. I still remember that I figured this out by examining Evilution MAP09.

i understand that to some extent
but still a bit confused, would someone be able to make a small demo map?

Alternatively, there's the method shown in (I think) Doom2 Map16, which I'd be happy to explain if you'd like me to and if you'll gimme about 5 minutes with Doom Builder to dissect it.

Doom2 MAP01 shows an alternative method. Instead of splitting the sector as described above, you just make a little "sound channel" to connect the hidden room to the play area. In map01, the imps don't teleport, they just open the door once they have heard you.

However, here is a demo of a split sector teleport. Hopefully it will help.

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/teletest.zip

that would be cool kwadamj
if you want to

gunna check out this wad by enjay then :)

EDIT: thanks enjay. i figured it when i looked over your demo.

You should also remember to shape your teleport room in such a way that would prevent monsters form getting stuck inside or having to travel all the way across a room just to hit the teleport linedef again if the destination was blocked. Deus Vult and Alien Vendetta are the wads to look for if you want examples.

For fast and efficient teleporting, I used to put monsters in square sectors just larger their radius below the surrounding sector level. These square sectors had teleporting linedefs. Also, I made a separate sector for each monster to teleport to. A "lower floor" linedef was tagged to, say, a platform lowering a key and to all of those low-level sectors with monsters. Since those sectors are with lower floor than the surrounding sector, this type of activation rises them instantly and all the monsters teleport almost simultaneously. That takes a bit but works very well. Of course, there are many ways to make good teleporting of monsters.

i've got a question, i havent used teleport monsters (indeed, apart from my first released map i havent used player teleports either), and i've made nigh on 30 maps (mostly unreleased as my megawad is makeing slooooowwwww progress)... so i've never actually experimented with them , so. does the monster teleport when it's center/origin crosses the line? could you suspend the monster like in donce's example ona pillar but make it, say, 4x4 units, having the edges as the teleport? that would make it pretty instantaneous once it was lowered to the floor

im still having issues here
i refernced the sectors to the first sector in the map

but they still dont wake up

Make sure the 1st sector can hear you. Or, email me your map and I'll take a look.

EDIT: Also - just in case - make sure the monsters aren't deaf :P

I'd be glad ot make you a small demo map. Just give me your e-mail or if you want me to send it over some messenger program, give me you screenname.

EDIT: I've e-mailed you the demo wad. Hopefull it doesnt get filtered out as junk and that it will help you. There are 3 demos in this map, each a bit more complex than the previous, but all simple tricks to do.

thanks for the demo
i was able to fix it :)
now my problem is that some of the bigger monsers teleport some how before the floor are lowered

i also have problems with raising stairs :p if anyone has any suggestions for that

Xtife said:

thanks for the demo
i was able to fix it :)
now my problem is that some of the bigger monsers teleport some how before the floor are lowered

i also have problems with raising stairs :p if anyone has any suggestions for that

I can make you a s stair tutorial pretty quickly. You want the normal linear stairs or the stairs that are in a circular format?

linear pls :)

i got it all the secters setup right i think, i just cant figure out what combination of flippings sidedefs i need to do :p