Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

What if everyone on Earth were to vanish?

fodders said:

The power would soon be off, no fuel pumps working at the petrol station, all non tinned food spoiled, no tv, no pc, no dvd's, lights or heating. Sounds crass to me.

Yeah, all true. However, the large tanks at a petrol station are easy enough to gain access too, as are hand cranked portable pumps of a variety of types. So as long as it were possible to find fuel that hadn't gone off, you'd still be able to get some by pumping it out of the tanks manually. That's not a lifetime solution, but it would extend the period for which you had fuel.

Food, well, you'd certainly be able to stockpile a lot of tinned goods. You'd certainly have to get some skills in growing/ rearing food.

No tv, pc, dvd's, lights or heating. Well, as long as fuel was available, you could run a generator so you could use your own PC and watch/listen to your own discs and stuff you pinch from stores. Nothing new after the vanish date though. As it is, tv sucks so I'd not miss that at all. I hardly watch it anyway these days. I can only take so much soap and "reality".

Heating and lights - whilst the generator was running - no problem. After it failed, coal/wood/peat fires could easily take over the heating. Or maybe I could just move somewhere warm. Lights would have to be oil lamps and candles etc.

I'm not saying any of it would be especially pleasant, but none of those problems are insurmountable.

Once everything for generating power would dry up things would start to get somewhat depressing. gasoline first, then diesel/kerosene and then ultimatly heating oil and lamp oils (however long they last on the shelf) but that would take a very long time, you would still have something to burn even after thirty years or so (but could any of it still power a generator)

Adequate shelter would face the damage of over growing vegetaion, along with aging roof strutures and then water damage (like in old buildings today) the most inner area's of larger buildings like hopstial's up to skyscrapers in size probably would last the longest.

You could survive a normal life span if injury or insanity due to loneliness doesnt play a role in your demise. you could check everything out and do want ever you wanted to do, but being alone would start playing with your mental health to where you would probably start hearing and seeing things i would imagine. it would be hard for the human psych to completly understand that there is absolutly no one else around.

Regen said:

Adequate shelter would face the damage of over growing vegetaion, along with aging roof strutures and then water damage (like in old buildings today) the most inner area's of larger buildings like hopstial's up to skyscrapers in size probably would last the longest.

Dunno about you, but with little else to do and no-one to do stuff for me, I might try my hand at maintennance and repair rather than just sit there watching the roof over my head rot. ;)

To be honest I'd probably kill myself if I were absolutely positive that I was the only person left.

I think I would go out and secure as much survival stuff as possible. Generators would be improtant in case power goes out. I will need enough power to sit in my apartment and be a gamer for the rest of my life.

Kid Airbag said:

To be honest I'd probably kill myself if I were absolutely positive that I was the only person left.

Trust me, so would we. :)

I think it would be depressing for a few months/years, but one does adapt. It would be peaceful. Have to move to warmer climate, learn to grow food, slaughter animals. Survive. After a few years you'd wonder what it was like to have another person around. Maybe forget your born language. Wouldn't need it anymore.

I'd probably think in English. It's the only language I know (fluently anyway, I know a bit of Spanish), so I'd have to use it. Not like it would matter, anyway.

See I wouldn't even want to bother living past the depressing stages.

Besides I doubt I would ever be happy again without other people.