Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The maps in Cchest2.wad have a certain feel, especially in later maps like "Event Horizon". Was this intended or did it just turn out that way, as they seem to be quite spooky and strange in a good way. Especially when they are played late at night. I hope Cchest 3 turns out the same way. I want to see a map in it like AV 25 but with bstone2 textures like Doom2 MAP14. That would rock.

People just selected their map slots on a first come first served basis. The ambience at the end is just a lucky coincidence.

Yeah...it's a real disappointment. Hopefully the DW Advent mapset will be finished...not too sure on it, as I think they only have 4-10 maps done/close to done.

Is cchest3 really dead? :(

-_DLD_- said:

Yeah...it's a real disappointment. Hopefully the DW Advent mapset will be finished...not too sure on it, as I think they only have 4-10 maps done/close to done.

well, I have about 10-12maps atm, so it doesn't look that bad. However it will have maps on sundays, I think.

There's been alot of things going on in my life recently but I've been catching up, possibility of returning, don't know yet. I may look at working on a type of "Community Chest" project again. I have to admit, I really miss the game.

Cadman

Well I'm still too busy with other stuff atm but I've been thinking about resurrecting CC3 sometime in the near future. (plus I've now got experience of leading community projects)

Cadman said:

There's been alot of things going on in my life recently but I've been catching up, possibility of returning, don't know yet. I may look at working on a type of "Community Chest" project again. I have to admit, I really miss the game.

Hey cool! As long as it's for Boom I'd be willing to do another.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well I'm still too busy with other stuff atm but I've been thinking about resurrecting CC3 sometime in the near future. (plus I've now got experience of leading community projects)

If I get any good at mapping by then, I'd love to contribute a map or two. I never imagined myself contributing to a legendary project, since the CChest levels are damn good.

bejiitas_wrath said:

especially in later maps like "Event Horizon".

Yeah, that's a cool map indeed.

I would be interested but only if we make it less complicated...

Maybe I'm missing something, but CC3 seemed very complex from the start. Unless you have a true "team" concept for a complex project such as CC3 then it's usually doomed to failure.

The original "Community Chest" project worked because it was very simple and straight forward...just design great looking and playable maps and make them error free, that's all I asked. CC2 worked because it had the same basic outlook, I ran out of time for CC2 and had to pass it on, but it still worked!

CC3 would only work if there was a team concept such as I had with TeamTNT! Dadeleus showed just how long it takes to make something that complex.

Here are my rules if I was to do a New Community Chest project...

All original Doom & Doom2 textures

Boom compatible ( most of the source ports are built around this )

Maps can be huge or small

Maps must be error free

Texture alignments must be perfect

Good balance between weapons, ammo, health and monsters

We'll atart with that, reply and let me know what the interest is. Either start a new thread for this subject and we'll see where it goes, it's up to you guys and gals.

Cadman

I'd be interested. I'd be tempted to do things like new weapons and textures, but I think I may be able to hold off on those.

I've still got my map from the Advent Calendar project (before I bailed) but it has one new texture that I'm using for signs.

A new Community Chest project would rock, especially if you were running it again Cadman.

However, I think that new textures shouldn't be excluded, they should just be added in the same manner as they were in CC2, i.e. having the level number prefix the name, like 08REDWAL or 23BIGDOR.

Also, to those who doubt their ability to contribute to a CC project, my first single player map was released as Map 26 of CC2. While it isn't up to the standards of some of the other maps included in there, I still got good feedback from people. In other words, don't let lack of experience deter you!

Well if I ran CC3 it would be a ZDoom affair, since the last one was Boom-based and the first one Doom-based.

I'd plan to allow new graphics, scenery and monsters but there would be limits on them and they would go out in a resource wad before the maps began (hence avoiding the general confusion and/or lack of updates that befell the last CC3 attempt regarding resources). Boom/Doom format maps would still be welcome of course, but I'd at least encourage you to choose skys via mapinfo and mix texture/flat resources. (ie. use flats on walls, textures on floors etc. if you wanted to)

There'd be other rules regarding certain ZDoom features but I'll post a full list of those once I've re-typed them.

I would avoid zdoom becuase it makes the game port specific. In my case I only run zdoom on one computer, and a rarely use it.

What's wrong with making it port-specific? It's not like ZDOOM costs anything or gives you a Trojan or anything.

CC3 is doomed to fail on anything other than boom. It fails to live up to its own name, unless somewhere along the road zdoom became the community mapping standard, inheriting boom's laurels - which hasn't happened. I won't do anything for it if it's for anything other than boom.

-_DLD_- said:

Ah, I get it. The principle of using the most common port.

Or rather, a well-established and fixed set of features that are supported by most ports.

Yeah, that's true. Jolly good show with the thread name fix, wot! (Sorry, I'm half British and noticed Grazza's from England...that happens sometimes)

Guys, let me sit down and see what I can come up with, very good thoughts and comments indeed all with merit. If I come up with some sort of organization for this would you be willing? I may even throw in a map of my own.

Cadman