Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

WTF is wrong with these enemies?

Now that I have done some more levels in my WAD, I am starting to add some enemies to the levels that I have already finished. But something weird is happening in this level.

There is a door to the right with a wall that is impassible. Behind that door are Revenants and Imps. Once I start this level, they see me through the door/wall and they can attack me through the door/wall. The wall is both double sided and impassible. WTF is wrong with this? I've tried to figure it out but no go. Any idea of what might be wrong?

You might have the starting sector and the sector with the revenants merged (as in sharing the sector number)

Nope, they are not merged. The starting room is Sector 0 and the area with the Revenants is sector 23. I tried putting block sound on the linedefs, but didn't help.

peach freak said:

... The wall is both double sided and impassible.

Then it's not a real wall since it has no thickness: it's actually a two sided line with wall textures on it.
You need to make a "solid" wall, in other words a sector whose floor height is sufficiently tall to not allow the monsters to see the player.

I think i know what you did wrong. First of all, can you OPEN this foor? if not, than I think I know what you did.

| | | |
|_____|_____|_|_____|_____|

(the "-" and "|" inside each sector is just showing the linedef's direction)

Here is what i understand your section of map looks like(somewhat), where sector 23 is the monster's sector, sector 0 is wheere you start and a is where the door is. I believe that you forgot to set the ceiling height of sector "a" (the door) tot hes same height as that of it's floor height, and then you just pasted a door texture to the middle wall of the line def. A door should have it's texture on it's Upper wall instead of the middle wall and it's ceiling should have the same height as that of it's floor. Try doing this and see if it helps. THis is only based on what i understood from waht you told me.

Yes, I have the door's ceiling height lowered to the floor height, so I can open it easily. The door texture is the upper texture, but this is the only map this is happening on.

If it's not too much trouble, mind you e-mail me that map or maybe use doombuilder to export a picture of it and then point to where this problem is occuring? I think i can help you better that way. I dont need any textures so just copy the map into a new file. I think there is somethingw rong with how your lines segments are facing.

But another question. Are these monsters actually SHOOTING through the door while it's closed? Or are they just hearing you and then opening the door themselves to come out and attack?

e-mail me at: ezxariarch@hotmail.com

Yeah, it sounds like an easy error to fix...I'd like to look at it to see what's wrong. Maybe it's DOOMBuilder screwing it up? If you want me to look it in WadAuthor, just hit me up on AIM (check my profile), e-mail me, or just hit me up on MSN (which is also my e-mail address) at dartheldraganus@hotmail.com.

Yeah...I ran into a problem like this. A proper wall should be a floor sector risen to meet the ceiling to create a wall. And a door should be a ceiling sector lowered to meet the floor. That's how I always get it to work.

Hey, I got it figured out with all of your help. Thanks. Here are two screenshots of this map. The first one is before what happened and the second one is what happened after. Notice the yellow circled area. Now enemies won't attack me from the other room. Here are the two links.

BEFORE

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/1383/before0hl.gif

AFTER

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/4668/after7zs.jpg

So it wasn't a "real wall". Thanks to the user Lobo who gave me that info. :)