Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultdoomer

What does "degreelessness" mean?

You know what I'm talking about - the message that appears after you enable god mode. Yes, I am aware of this thread, but it's old and someone might have figured it out in four years.

I think it's trying to tell you that you suck cause you're using God mode, or you're a very low cowardly creature. Something like that, but I've used God mode so it's all good.

degree-less -> without degree.
degreeless-ness -> state of without degree.
which leaves us with 'degree of what?'
Taking into account that we don't lose health in degreelessness mode, it must mean 'state of without degree of health' which means that the health can't change?

Degreelessness, without degrees, obviously when Doomguy turns on his cheats, he gets incredibly cold.

The term comes from the cheat activated - DQD (the id prefix stands for *gasp* id software). DQD = Delta-Q-Delta, a frat that Dave Taylor was in that would quit college classes that they were failing, therefore getting a Q instead of an F. The term "degreelessness" is a poke at this in-joke.

This is all according to John Romero, who wrote a chapter on the cheat codes of Doom (and the meanings behind them) in this little Doom strat guide I have.

Well that explains IDDQD, but what about IDDT? IDSPISPOPD is still one of the funnest codes I've ever had to type.
I love typing IDDQD and IDKFA in heretic. They didn't like those. What, do you think this is doom?"

Jello said:

I love typing IDDQD and IDKFA in heretic. They didn't like those. What, do you think this is doom?"

Haha.

Trying to cheat, eh? Now you die! BRREAAGGGGHHTHHH :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

Trying to cheat, eh? Now you die!

That gave me a humongous shock when I tried to IDDQD back to 100% health when I was at 96 or 98 or something. I was like "holy crap!" This was my first and most memorable Heretic experience...a month or so ago.

Heh.

Jello said:

Well that explains IDDQD, but what about IDDT? IDSPISPOPD is still one of the funnest codes I've ever had to type.

The story about IDSPISPOPD

Man, i always thought it said "Decreaselessness" due to the fact that your health didn't decrease. Boy was I wrong. Never played attention to cheats messages very much.

IDDT = id-Dave Taylor -- Dave Taylor did most of the interface programming for DOOM, including most definitely the entire automap system. I think he probably worked on parts of the status bar, and possibly stuff like the finales & intermissions, although the intermission code is considerably sloppier which leads me to believe somebody else wrote most of it... Dave Taylor had a pretty clean coding style, except for a few nasty hacks he left lying around.

I used to think this was spelled 'degresslessness'. I guess my brain just thought the 2nd syllable should rhyme like the 3rd and 4th.

But why not the extra step into dessgresslessness?

Check your last post date -- This thread is 4 years old

It is considered bad form to post in topics that have been inactive for a while now.