Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KwadDamyj

Why do you map?

Modifying video games has always been an interest to me and mapping fills it up all of the way (combined with sound/graphics editing on the side). Sometimes it is just inspiration.

myk said:

I map because if not I get lost!

:(

/cringe

I don't do that for that reason very often. Consider yourself a worthy punwarrior.

I map because without my amazing maps, there would be no meaning to life.

I am inspired by the posibilites on design, extreme details and lightning/shadows. Amazed by some of the trickery and architecture in older classic vanilla doom WADs. I always wanted to do something like those levels. Although I haven't showed up that yet, people laughing when thinking of my only released Wow-style WADs, I am still a newbie ;) but the WAD I am working on right now revolves around shading.

Surprisingly, I haven't brainstormed on gameplay yet. It's something that I should do in the future or else my maps will suck in those imporant aspects for your enjoyment. I seem to be sucked by the technical areas and forget the gameplay design, something that bugs me in other creative scenes too..

My alternative (and somehow joke) reply would be..

..I am too lazy to create maps. I prefer to check for newstuff chronicles, being a slacker who enjoys playing your weeks/months of work maps for a few minutes :P

Optimus: Don't double post. Always edit the previous post if you got something to add, and noone posted in the thread since you posted last.

I have always liked to create my own levels for games and this explains why I keep mapping! ;) Moreover I make "Doom 2" levels because it is a sort of hobby and because I enjoy myself making them and I'd like other people to enjoy themselves playing my levels. :)

I map because

1. I enjoy creating new worlds and environments, so it's a creative outlet.
2. I'm relatively good at it, so it is rewarding.
3. I like getting positive feedback from people who are enjoying my maps
4. I still love Doom more than any other FPS

DooM is one of the few games I can go back to, time and time again, and still have fun. Mapping is as much fun as it is frustrating. I guess I map so people can tell me how much my mapping sucks, in hopes that one day I'll make something that doesn't suck.

I think I finally did maps that don't suck. To see my latest works take a looksee at Congestion 1024. I did maps 19, 29.

kristus said:

LIES. Besides, brushes are more fun to make than sectors and verticies.

oh yeah, when you know how to do it. Brushes are still alien to me, even after 6 months of tutorials.

Tried to make an map for Call of Duty once, after an hour of fucking arround with that thing I came up with one stupid cube.
It sounded so easy when I read those tutorials.

kristus said:

LIES. Besides, brushes are more fun to make than sectors and verticies.

Using brushes for mapping is very close to actual construction in the real world...You just stack them one-on-top-of-the-other, or one-beside-the-other. But instead of a lifting crane you use a mouse cursor.
Whereas, drawing lines and verticies makes me feel like I'm in a high school math class sometimes.
But I still enjoy indulging in both mapping methods.

Because inventive never ends!!!! you can imagine and build infinite of geometry and environments forever.

the game engine is easy, so with little patiente you can do soemthing new.

Also it is fun to play other games, then you are inspirated, and try to implement these things into your wad project.

but mainly, as it is a "humble" engine, it's faster and no need of big skill in mapping or designing. :)

I just like designing things in general. I'm a anime and concept artists and i've been editing doom 2 ever since I got my hands on it back in 1996. Back then, the only maps I could make was a giant circle with a few pillars and teleporters. But, that was using WinDEU, and although it was good at the time, it's pretty lacking. I just like designing things that move. For some reason, doom 2 is more apealing to me than even the newest FPS games. yeah, its graphics suck compaired to the new game titles, and the level engine is just pathetic compaired to games even as old as Duke Nukem 3D. But still, Doom's unique feel and lively colors catches my attention. It's a cool concept with some funky twists to it. Another reason why I map is just because it's pretty easy. Make a simple map isn't all that hard for doom until you get to those 10 story buildings some people make or those maps with the 100,000 sectors. Over all, doom is just simple, quick, and fun, so why not make things of your own to test your skill. (I always found the normal doom 2 to be a bit easy after playing the Plutonia Experiment (which I cant even beat the 2nd level in without savinf atleast 5 times).

I keep mapping, because the game keeps changing. First there was Doom, then Boom came along and you could do so much more. And I thought that was good then. After that came Zdoom/Zdaemon/Skulltag and Doom Legacy. There are so many ports to develop under today. I guess that's one reason to keep mapping. Back in 94' most mappers were just dreaming of slopes, 3D floors, and programmable scripts. Now, it is common practice.

The reason I map is to keep things going, and to think of new ideas: to do things that haven't been done before at times, and to expand upon ideas that were previously thought of. Most of us map because we like Doom, and Doom keeps on going because mappers keep mapping, and dev teams keep expanding our options.